Hide
8 Posts

Space Empires: 4X» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are ships forced to fire on their turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Parker
msg tools
During battle can you decline to fire when its your turn to fire.

If this is allowed and you decline to fire when its your turn can you fire later in that round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Protagoras wrote:
During battle can you decline to fire when its your turn to fire.

If this is allowed and you decline to fire when its your turn can you fire later in that round?

I'm curious why you would want your ship to decline to fire on its turn! (It's been a while since I played, so maybe there's some subtle tactical reason I'm overlooking/forgetting...?)

In any case, rule 5.2 says "Ships with an A Class fire before ships with a B Class, ships with a B Class fire before ships with a C, etc. If both players have groups with the same Class (for example, if both are B’s), the group belonging to the player with the higher Tactics Technology fires first. If the Class and the Tactics Technology of both groups are the same, then the defender's group fires first." which seems to pretty clearly specify a required ordering of firing, and thus imply that you can't make a ship fire later in a battle round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris V.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Close Encounters rule book, section 1: "A unit may always decide not to fire."

That being said, if you don't fire when your turn comes up, you don't get to reenter later in the firing order that turn. Your battleship can't suddenly jump in between the cruisers and scouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwal Gwal
msg tools
mbmb
Some reasons not to fire would be to give a later ship in the stack a shot so that group can gain XP, leave ships for BDs to capture or leave ships so you can retreat to gain an advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gwal wrote:
Some reasons not to fire would be to give a later ship in the stack a shot so that group can gain XP, leave ships for BDs to capture or leave ships so you can retreat to gain an advantage.

I guess XP and BDs are concepts from an expansion, not the base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Gwal wrote:

I guess XP and BDs are concepts from an expansion, not the base game?

Correct. XP, Boarding Ships and planetary invasions were the reasons that we added the rule that you had the option to not fire. In the base game there is no reason to not fire at something. You want everything on the other side dead as quick as you can make it.

Jim at first did not want to add such a no fire rule as he did not see a good enough reason for it. It was only after I pointed out to him that if you wanted to reduce a planets free Militia and you had a Titan in your force you would by the rules have to destroy the planet or if you had a lot of ships once you started the bombardment you would have to continue until all of your ships had fired. This would result in a destroyed colony that you could not invade.

As has already been posted you may not skip your firing opportunity and then take a shot later in that round. When your firing opportunity comes up you must either fire/not fire/retreat. There is partial exception to this in that if you have say 3 SCs with PD firing at Fighters and the first two SCs kill the last enemy Fighters the third SC will now not be able to fire in that round until its E Rated Opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Parker
msg tools
Yep guys. Sorry I was thinking in terms of experience gain and landing troops from the expansion. Should have put this in the CE forums! I also cannot see any reason to skip firing in the basic game except.

Heh your kung fu is weak, I will destroy your fleet with only my scouts I shall not even fire my battleships!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People are playing this without the expansion?!

Run out and buy the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.