United States
manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting.

I wonder what it is going to cost?

(Article mentions in-app purchase)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/30/delving...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks awesome!

Can't wait!

I'm sure it'll be $5-10 - totally worth it!

I will be bummed that my iOS purchase will not unlock on my steam account... so that'll be a bummer... but I primarily use my iPad anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timothy thomsen
United States
manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, I want to make sure all the devices I use are under my one Steam account.

I play for the first time tonight with the app. Using wife's laptop. Happy with setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Great That´s exactly what I envisioned this app to be from the start. I´m very glad, that this mode is becoming a reality.

And I hope the name of this mode is a well deserved reference to redjak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds kind of like 'horde mode' that lots of video games began implementing after Gears of War. Bunch of round, upgrades in between, boss wave every X waves, repeat.

Hope it's good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the "bosses"... are the lt packs

well played if so :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like they still aren't mixing tile sets though, oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
georgeofjungle3 wrote:
Sounds like they still aren't mixing tile sets though, oh well.

What do you mean?

From the article:
In every game of The Delve, these carefully designed stages are randomly paired, ensuring that the world-between-worlds is different every time you return. What’s more, like all of Road to Legend, this pocket dimension expands with the size of your Descent collection. Even with just the Core Set, you’ll find fifteen regular stages and five unique boss fights, but every expansion that includes new map tiles adds three to seven more stages that you may randomly encounter during a game! In addition, the monsters that you face in The Delve are selected from your entire collection, which means that every Hero and Monster Collection can significantly change the enemies you face.

Looks to me like they use your collection very well! I was super excited to see that part!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meaning that Nerekhall tiles aren't mixed with Labyrinth tiles, for instance.

There are just way too many tile permutations across sets to make designing levels that mix and match between expansions feasible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Magnus
United States
Granville
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm just a soldier. I can't be a leader.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is actually titled "The Delve." But some credit to RedJak would not be misplaced.

I too am super pumped for this one. Even if it is not a 100% random map generator.

One can always use my Legendary Play Variant Rules for truly random maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Smitty
msg tools
At the threshold
badge
Protected
mbmbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
I wonder if the "bosses"... are the lt packs

well played if so :-)

It said the base set alone has 5 bosses. Weren't there 5 LT's in the base set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were 6:
Alric
Eliza
Merick
Splig
Belthir
Zachareth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caretaker? We're really calling the big baddie the Caretaker now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Smitty
msg tools
At the threshold
badge
Protected
mbmbmbmbmb
zaltyre wrote:
There were 6:
Alric
Eliza
Merick
Splig
Belthir
Zachareth

How could I forget Belthir!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
zaltyre wrote:
There were 6:
Alric
Eliza
Merick
Splig
Belthir
Zachareth

Everyone but Splig? Or Merick?

Merick got a full campaign... so keep him out of this? Maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really awesome news! With this having full campaigns and one-off missions plus similar functionality in the Imperial Assault app (maybe, hopefully) I may be able to get rid of the rest of my co-op dungeon crawlers. Good times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
kbieb wrote:
This is really awesome news! With this having full campaigns and one-off missions plus similar functionality in the Imperial Assault app (maybe, hopefully) I may be able to get rid of the rest of my co-op dungeon crawlers. Good times!

This app is what caused me to back out of the Massive Darkness kickstarter.

No regrets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And again FFG rocks it with their app! This will be so great for solo play and one-offs. Can't wait!
-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, I had preferred a new campaign to a tile-randomizer any day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolaj Thomsen
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
Making bosses drop loot/random shop items or finding random shop items in-game would really bring flow to the game and make it a true dungeon delver. Even hero quest had this. Also levelling up in-game after killing certain amounts of monster groups would be cool. The idea of always rsolving items and loot after or between quests kills the delving aspect a bit. Imagine playing diablo where you could only gear up or spend experience points after each quest.. I want instant rewards!!

Anywyas, i hope this app is good, but i personally fear its not totally what i was waiting for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morphie wrote:
Bah, I had preferred a new campaign to a tile-randomizer any day

Well, I'm not sure that I agree but this isn't that anyway. The way I read it is that each stage is hand-built. Only the mix and order of the stages is random. Plus the monsters that you fight and loot that you draw.

And if you look at one of the stages shown, it looks like a puzzle of sorts. I think this going to be fun.

And the best thing about it is that I will be able to play it with my group. See, attendance at our weekly game night is not consistent for everyone, so campaign-type games are a challenge for us. This single session mode will be perfect.

Also, I'm sure we are going to see plenty of campaigns as long as people are willing to pay for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Necksnappa wrote:
Making bosses drop loot/random shop items or finding random shop items in-game would really bring flow to the game and make it a true dungeon delver. Even hero quest had this. Also levelling up in-game after killing certain amounts of monster groups would be cool. The idea of always rsolving items and loot after or between quests kills the delving aspect a bit. Imagine playing diablo where you could only gear up or spend experience points after each quest.. I want instant rewards!!

Anywyas, i hope this app is good, but i personally fear its not totally what i was waiting for.

Each session is supposed to take 2 hours with 6 stages per session, so 20 minutes per stage. That means there are 5 times each session where you get a new skill and presumably a new item or 10 minutes on average per reward. In Diablo, 100 things might drop in that time but 99 of them are going to be worthless, so it's not too far off.

Also, it would be easy enough to house rule a different loot rule. Every time you kill a monster, roll a D10. On a 10, drop a search token, when it is searched, draw a random shop card. Then skip the shopping phase between stages. If it's not enough or too much loot, adjust the odds as necessary. That gives you the instant rewards and shouldn't affect the balance too much.

I have a co-op variant that uses that loot mechanism and it seems to work pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zaltyre wrote:
There were 6:
Alric
Eliza
Merick
Splig
Belthir
Zachareth

but i expect buying the lt model packs might give you a version 2 of the boss maybe?

can hope.. or not hope as its another huge chumck of gold to throw at this..

I was content with 1 lt per box..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
With the understanding that I am not a prophet and speculation is the limit to my powers:

The boss fights will probably not be Lieutenants, but just Unique beefed up versions of standard monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is one thing I find worrisome here - 2h and 6 stages means roughly 20 minutes per stage, I think fishing out needed tiles, building the map (and taking it down) will take too big a part of the game. Not to mention that FFG's tiles stick too closely together and can be easily damaged with a lot of assembly/taking apart (Dungeons and Dragons Adventure games are the only one who got this part just right).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.