Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

A month ago I received my minis in the mail from Greg Purcell (GorillaGrody) for a paint commission. I commissioned him to do the core set and wave 1 minus the ATST, and General Weiss. I was completely unhappy with the overall quality (or lack there of) and also not pleased with how Greg spoke with me about it when I voiced my feelings to him. After having the minis in front of me for a month now I decided to throw them away and buy a new core set to replace them. Yes, thats how awful they were done. I am simply making this post to warn anyone who would consider having him paint your minis.

Issues I had with the minis more specifically

-Minis not painted fully as in no paint applied to the back of the figure (royal guard champion) or legs (luke skywalker) patches of no paint(imperial officers)
-Paint slathered on sloppily with no color variation or accuracy (just about every unique mini)
-Paint from the base on various parts of the figure the worst was Chewy. He is brown with a black weapon, the base was a light tan and yet the base paint was on his shoulder, head, leg, and blaster.
-Minis chipped and damage in transit. The minis were put in an empty egg carton and then placed in a box, in transit all the minis were jumbled up and my royal guards staffs broke and many of the minis bases were chipped
-All my storm troopers were pink, yep because the royal guards rubbed up against the storm troopers in transit they all came out tinted pink including the E-webb.
- Paint run from the figure onto unpainted bases (nexu were the worst ones)

I can continue going on but I know I wont get anything back and I literally threw money away. I contacted a few other painters and unanimously I was told its easer to start from scratch, than remove the paint or even touch up the shoddy work. Speaking to 3 other people I used for commissions and for what I was charged they themselves were upset for how I was ripped off. After speaking with other painters I decided to paint a set myself with their help (coaching and questions etc.)

Maybe Greg could do good work and the time restraint he put on himself to finish before he went back to his profession really messed him up in terms of quality, but I know I could never ever recommend him to anyone. His solution was to send him a handful of the worst minis I had back and he would "get around to them when he could" yes thats his words. I said I would not want to continue to have him work on my minis for an unsolicited amount of time and suggested a partial refund to close the matter to which he said "I'm not giving you any money back" throughout the entire dialog he was very condescending, especially when I voiced what was wrong like paint from the bases on the figures which to that the sends me back quotes of profession level painters. As if paint from the base on the figures upper torso is something to be overlooked. I love this game both campaign and skirmish I wont let this deter me from playing but it still doesn't sit right with me and I wanted to share it.

-Coop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Martel
msg tools
That is rough. I am sorry to hear about that experience, and as a commission painter myself, it bothers me to no end that someone would charge for shoddy work done...

Best of luck with your own attempts at painting. I, personally, find it very fulfilling, so I hope you do to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aegisbrand wrote:
That is rough. I am sorry to hear about that experience, and as a commission painter myself, it bothers me to no end that someone would charge for shoddy work done...

Best of luck with your own attempts at painting. I, personally, find it very fulfilling, so I hope you do to.

Thanks man, I will find out soon haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Pics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bat
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any pictures of the work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pics or it didn't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chaz wrote:
Pics

batman15 wrote:
Any pictures of the work?

Bigsixer wrote:
Pics or it didn't happen.

Here are some pics relating to things I mentioned above

[IMG]https://s15.postimg.org/t0rsfv5ob/IMG_2916.jpg
https://s15.postimg.org/ydgmtztkr/IMG_2848.jpg
https://s15.postimg.org/sqova9gfv/IMG_2838.jpg
https://s15.postimg.org/4o81fdzsr/IMG_2839.jpg
https://s15.postimg.org/8lvb4smm3/IMG_2833.jpg
https://s15.postimg.org/w1d8a56d7/IMG_2834.jpg[/IMG]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krzykoopa wrote:

It happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bat
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
krzykoopa wrote:

Wow soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, man, that sucks. I painted my minis myself and was pretty happy with how they turned out even though it was my first attempt at painting minis. I'm no pro, so it too me a long, long time to get them all done. That was okay because I didn't have a group to play with until some time later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you throw them away? You can just strip paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
scifiantihero wrote:

That's a big gamble with IA miniatures.
I wouldn't strip them with anything that would work to actually take off the paint (like brake fluid etc.) because it may have a serious impact on the plastic, to the point of ruining it.

Those paint jobs SUCK and they wouldn't even rate a 5 on Coolminiornot.com, so you got ripped off, and could go to small claims pretty easily to recover your losses.

I'm sorry this happened to you.
(And I hate Imperial Assault, I just had to say it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCloskey
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That really sucks! Those paint jobs are terrible and I am also a first time painter. You could use super clean to strip the paint and then redo them. I have used it quite a few times on my own because I messed some up. I wish you luck on painting your new set. Follow sorastro's videos on YouTube to help you paint them. They are great videos on painting these mini's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

I threw them away because of a mix of things. I tried soaking with simple green with 3 troopers it took around 9 days to get most of the paint off and thats with using a brush every day after soaking for 4 days. While it worked sort of, it wasn't a complete from scratch, but, I also moved last week and decided it would just be easier to toss em and start fresh for 40$ vs take them with me and try with more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuz I'm too lazy to click on each, here they are embedded:

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My two bits: With a boardgame, the least risk is to have the painter paint the boardgame, then you make an approval and buy it in total, or exchange your unpainted miniatures and consideration for the painted figures. If you two can't come to an agreement, the painter at least can sell the painted figures to anyone else who's interested. This puts more risk on the painter, so he should expect some consideration even if you don't approve of this work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliodorus04 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

That's a big gamble with IA miniatures.
I wouldn't strip them with anything that would work to actually take off the paint (like brake fluid etc.) because it may have a serious impact on the plastic, to the point of ruining it.

Those paint jobs SUCK and they wouldn't even rate a 5 on Coolminiornot.com, so you got ripped off, and could go to small claims pretty easily to recover your losses.

I'm sorry this happened to you.
(And I hate Imperial Assault, I just had to say it)

DETTOL is the absolute king for striping minis of all types. Totally non toxic and strips anything.

In the US - shop around on Amazon for 750ml bottles - lots of places sell them.

https://www.amazon.com/Dettol-Liquid-750ml-England/dp/B01J65...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Up
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I just use good old fashion simple green to strip plastic minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
My two bits: With a boardgame, the least risk is to have the painter paint the boardgame, then you make an approval and buy it in total, or exchange your unpainted miniatures and consideration for the painted figures. If you two can't come to an agreement, the painter at least can sell the painted figures to anyone else who's interested. This puts more risk on the painter, so he should expect some consideration even if you don't approve of this work.

Try this in the artist forums and let me know so I can get popcorn and watch them lynch you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW... I painted my miniatures myself and it was the first time that i painted anything. I used a set of paints that costs 1,5 Euro all together and the results are far more superior than the "professional" touch of this guy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Marr
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MeepleUp wrote:

Yeah, takes quite a bit of scrubbing though. The two IA minis I did that to lost a touch of definition.

To the OP - super sorry about this, simply terrible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jazzee wrote:
MeepleUp wrote:

Yeah, takes quite a bit of scrubbing though. The two IA minis I did that to lost a touch of definition.

To the OP - super sorry about this, simply terrible

Because Simple Green is not a great paint stripper. It can work, but isn't great.

Dettol by far, is the best for minis. Mini painters have known this since the 70s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1st time painter with acrylic paints set of 12 colours that costs 1,5 euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
GladiatorGr wrote:
WOW... I painted my miniatures myself and it was the first time that i painted anything.

I started slightly before IA, but IA figures taught me the most.

You learn something new every step of the way. The next techniques for you to learn might be painting eyes (small bit of wash and perhaps a toothpick). (Eyeless figures are unnerving in pictures while you barely notice it when playing.)

I personally don't like shine, so except for the stormtooper armor and the royal guard helmets and a few others I prefer matte paint or at least matte coat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Master Turtler
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to address this. I'm the painter in question. I'll include my mitigating factors here and move on. If Coop has any further objections, he can write me.

1) I was paid 125 150 dollars (plus shipping)* for the entire Wave 1 set. That comes to roughly 3.00 for each miniature. That wasn't the original deal, but Coop wanted to "throw a couple extra in" after the deal was set, and I agreed, not wanting a fight. I urge you to compare this rate with that of professional painters. I made it clear that I'm still learning whatever craft I have. You may say what you want about the figures, but it was many hours of work for very little money (which I'm ordinarily happy to do, as I like painting).

2) I told him I had a month to do the painting before starting a new job. We agreed to this timeframe.

3) After they had shipped, Coop sent an entire page of requests: hand drawn decals. Unique designs for each group (not just different bases), etc. I told him I would do what I could, but made no promises. I attempted some of what he wanted.

4) Also, after they shipped, he wrote me to ask, "oh, is it okay if I primed all the figures and painted some of them myself already?" This turned out to be a nightmare. I asked how they were primed. He named a brand of primer I'd not worked with before. When they arrived, it looked like they had been sprayed with a type of glossy house paint, which turned out to be difficult to work with. (Coop reports that, by the time he got the minis, some of the paint had started to chip away in flat sheets from the surface of the primer.)

5) So, nervous from the start, I made sure to send him a complete photographic account of the painting as it happened. Every single piece was documented, sent, and approved by Coop. "So excited," Coop said. "I hope this isn't some sort of photographic trick." I told them I took them on an iPhone.

6) Two weeks in, he said he wanted them finished and returned that weekend. I told him we had to stick to our agreement: one month. Did I feel rushed? A little.

7) The work was sent on time. His immediate response was disappointment, as you see, and so we began negotiations. I'd ask what he wanted, but he wouldn't say what he wanted, just that he was disappointed. I told him clearly that there wasn't much I was going to do about it. He'd already paid me very little and had made the process as difficult as possible throughout. Finally, I offered to fix up five of the figures with which he was least happy, with the caveat that his primer problem wasn't going to fix itself. He rejected this offer. That was a month ago.

8) I should not have taken the job, given the difficulties. It wasn't my best work. I'll admit to that. Though I paint for many other people, and they seem happy with the work, they aren't Coop, and I'm sorry that Coop wasn't happy.

Like I said, Coop can write me if he wants to talk. I left that door open to him the last time we talked.

*edited for accuracy and clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.