Subject: Polarization causing simultaneous victory? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Sellmer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Suppose that during Polarization, one country shifts from fair to good and another country shifts from poor to Islamist rule. According to rule 11.1.7 these shifts occur simultaneously.

Now suppose that these shifts leave the US player at 12 good resources and the Jihiadist player at 6 IR resources with adjacency. Who wins?

Same could happen during the attrition phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Aslett

Houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a tie. Never seen it happen though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bender
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Wow...Curt, you have stumped me here! I am surprised this situation or question never came up in play test, though as Stephen mentioned, it would be quit rare.

I would rather not have the game end in a tie, as I intend to run tournaments of the game expansion in the near future and we need a ruling now.

Staying true to the original Labyrinth Victory Conditions (VC) model, I think we need to use a version of 2.3 to adjudicate victory in either the Polarization or Attrition situations described above. The formula for 2.3 is: US wins if he has 2 x + 1 Good Resources as are Islamist Rule.

So in your example where it was exactly 12 Good to 6 IR, then it would be a Jihadist victory. But if the phases ended with 13 Good to 6 IR, then it would be a US victory.

I will make sure to add this to the errata and any future editions of the rules.

Again, great find!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.