Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LVL99 has begun the Organized Play tournaments, in which we can earn points and cash in on cool promo items. This is a comment from Brad after the latest Trials KS update (Update # 3):

"We've mentioned the possibility of running events over Skype, Discord, Vassal, and the like. Play by Forum is also fine. All that to say, there's no meet-in-person requirement for your events. Especially overseas, you might want to form an online community and run league events that way."

And if you want to read the full update itself and see the cool prizes:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/battlecon-...

Also, hi everyone! It's been a while since I've been active here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be cool, but people have been playing mostly through Discord lately, the forums have been left behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play by forum is cool but when I ran the tourneys a few years back (geez, it's been a while), people seemed to drop out due to real life. It takes too long to complete a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
Play by forum is cool but when I ran the tourneys a few years back (geez, it's been a while), people seemed to drop out due to real life. It takes too long to complete a game.

To be honest, dude, I always said that you have too much time for each beat and too little penalties. If we are to try again, the time table should be strict. Having prizes would probably help, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dinobottm2 wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:

To be honest, dude, I always said that you have too much time for each beat and too little penalties. If we are to try again, the time table should be strict. Having prizes would probably help, though.

We did have prizes. Brad sponsored one of the tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
dinobottm2 wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:

I remember. I got one. Still, if we are to make a real tournament, the time table must be strict. It doesn't matter if the opponent is OK with a delay. You're late, you lost, period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dinobottm2 wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:
dinobottm2 wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:

I remember. I got one. Still, if we are to make a real tournament, the time table must be strict. It doesn't matter if the opponent is OK with a delay. You're late, you lost, period.

Would you recommend a 24 hour move limit? Part of me loves that but the real world would hate it sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Randolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of running these events over Discord or Skype (I actually like the Google spreadsheet tankbard made). I tried PbF once and it just falls apart generally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone figures something out about a torney...I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:
If someone figures something out about a torney...I'm in.

We've done it three times. It's just a matter of getting the games flowing continuously. That's tough with PBF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
dinobottm2 wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:
dinobottm2 wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:

Would you recommend a 24 hour move limit? Part of me loves that but the real world would hate it sometimes.
I'd say 48, because of time zones. What I really suggest is the "you're late, you lost"penalty. Delaying the tournament (and messing with everyone else) schools be kept. Look at the old leagues and you will see that there is ALWAYS someone who is really late and had an undeniable (although everyone is to polite to criticize) negative effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiran Kin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Discord tournament ongoing right now via spreadsheet (tankbard, who designed the spreadsheet system, is the organizer).

I'm trying to organize local games, so I can't be the organizer for any online play (because there's a max of 1/week on organizing), but I'm definitely interested in any online organized play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Senser
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
I believe in you.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely be up for this!

(Damn, I didn't know about Tankbard's Discord tourney...how was that promoted?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would advocate use of the spreadsheet system for tournaments.

* It's tournament-secure up to your ability to crack md5 hashes (i.e. way more trouble than it's worth).
* It presents information in a reasonably structured manner that is no worse than forum posts. In particular, it guarantees that both players actually have complete information on the cards.
* Because the basic card-hiding mode reasonably secure, and because the interface requires no large investment of time, a single person can moderate an entire tournament, and does not need to actively facilitate matches. This reduces the three-person scheduling problem to two people, which any sufficiently old person can confirm is at least a factor of two better in terms of speed.
* Because it's just you and your opponent, you can actually just play the fucking match straight through -- none of this move time limit bullshit. Just set a time limit for the whole match, and you can play in bursts or slowly, whichever works better for you.
* The spreadsheet is available for asynchronous play on any browser capable of rendering Google Sheets. (You don't have to download an .xls file or anything. This is all in your browser.) If you're savvy enough you can even play on mobile (though there are a bunch of caveats around that). We have busy players who are literally in diametrically opposed time zones and they still manage to complete one match in a week. Contrast with PbF matches, which regularly take more than a month regardless of where you and your opponent are geographically.
* The spreadsheet adds support for new play modes trivially. I replaced Dash with Dodge in thirty seconds. I implemented the new Force Timer system within a day. Are you a playtester who wants the new hotness? Because I have that too (and even if I didn't, you could easily write in the stats yourself).

Quote:
(Damn, I didn't know about Tankbard's Discord tourney...how was that promoted?)

It wasn't, lol.

People were like "hey it would be cool if we could have a custom character tournament" and I was like "I can moderate that, here are my terms and conditions". We've played 31 matches among 13 players in 18 days. I have received approval to declare this a League Event, and we're going at least two more rounds plus a top-4 including the current round, meaning that every participant can reasonably expect to earn 100+ League points by the end of this.

Our current time limit is that you have a week to play both sides of your matchup. This has been more or less tenable for everyone, with some people submitting multiple characters (and playing proportionally more matches). There's a soft two day buffer for people to submit balance patches for their characters, which some people have also needed to wrap up their matches. It hasn't been necessary frequently enough that I feel anyone is abusing it (and it's been clear that I reserve the right to drop someone if such abuse becomes apparent).

So yeah. If people have enough hustle, I'd be happy to begin organizing something new after this one ends (we're looking at probably another three weeks to finish fake-Swiss and do some weird top-4 thing I haven't decided on yet).

You can join the Discord channel here: https://discord.gg/pvXtcKx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do consider early applications for such a tournament: I'd be glad to join!

Also, 48 hours sounds great. Also, I think we should take advantage of the PBF format. Because that allows a player to be part in several games at once. So, for example, there could be a (or sevreal) regular game and a 2 vs 1 boss game going on at the same time, in which a player simultaneously takes part (much harder to pull of live).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Senser
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
I believe in you.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tankbard wrote:
I would advocate use of the spreadsheet system for tournaments.

> Long list of reasons

Basically all of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
allows a player to be part in several games at once
The contestants who submitted 3 custom characters (6 matches per week) are accomplishing their output by playing their three matches simultaneously.

Quote:
48 hours sounds great
If you started a PbF duel with this constraint right now, I could probably finish the rest of this tournament before the duel resolves, assuming it doesn't terminate early when someone hits the time limit.

Quote:
2 v 1
Admittedly not a use case I support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dinobottm2 wrote:

What's up, Thiago! Man, I thought for sure you'd be perma-banned by now.
I'm just kidding! How've you been?

I agree with you. If we do a PBF here we should definitely have a strict time-limit that we follow. Skype and Discord (I have no idea what Discord is, actually) are also viable alternatives. Any avenue of organized play is. It's just that my personal experience has only been in-person tournaments or the old PBF. I've never used the spreadsheet. Can spectators watch the matches on that live like they can here in the forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurisenshi wrote:

What's up, Thiago! Man, I thought for sure you'd be perma-banned by now.
I'm just kidding! How've you been?

Nah. Despite the wishes of the whole BattleCON fandom and despite my own best judgement, I'm still here.

And yes, you can follow the spreadsheet. It's public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.