$20.00
$60.00
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I had a dream. I dreamed that I was on a team of research scientists working for an unspecified government agency that were on a data gathering mission somewhere in the ocean. Our ship sank and/or our float plane had mechanical trouble (I'm not sure which - maybe we escaped a sinking ship via rickety float plane?).

We ended up on this island. It was a fairly large craggy tropical island, with swampy coasts and small pockets of sandy beaches. The interior of the island was a steep jungle, basically uninhabitable. The island was in an infinity shape running on a diagonal northeast-southwest. There were many outlying little islands. The weather was cloudy and windy. It was a lot like Puerto Rico if you've ever been there.

Anyway, our research team was glad we crashed on that island because our government agency had a lab outpost there. The lab outpost was retro-derelict in the style of Aperture Labs (Portal etc). The main lab was by the coast of the island on a craggy bluff, and on an outlying craggy island was a communications building that had intermittent access to cell phone and data signal. We contacted our agency for evacuation.

The agency was eager to help us - that is, until they heard where we were. Apparently that lab had been abandoned because of scientific chicanery. I was never sure if it involved radioactivity or human subjects or what, but it was definitely not something this agency wanted made public. So much so, that back in the day (1960s?) the powers that be twisted the arms of the world powers and they all agreed to erase the island from the map, and any record of it. If the agency were to rescue us, they would have to provide justification for the expense, which would mean revealing the island location, which would mean blowing open the cover-up. So they ignore us and leave us to die.

Well we are resourceful, so we use the intermittent data signal to call/text/email everyone we know, convincing them that this is real and that we need help. They need to blast the story to the modern media but first we have to convince them. I was just about to send my message, when I woke up.

SO:

Board game. I think it would make a cool one. I was thinking kind of a mashup of Forbidden Island and Elder Sign.

Something involving a team of researchers with different powers.

Perhaps some kind of using the environment to preserve health and sanity, kind of like Don't Starve (video game).

And the victory conditions involve convincing someone to believe you.

Hit me with your ideas!!

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
You need more Cthulu
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds kinda like Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I had a dream last night, too.

I was back in highs school, and I was late for class. And it was final exams week. And I was naked, except I had on a top hat. I was running down the hall to my class, except it wasn't a school hall, it was the basement of my grandma's house. And when I got to the Algebra class, my teacher was M. Emmet Walsh, and he wanted to know why I didn't bring my hamster to class like all the other students.

And then I was on a boat. A big one, like the Staten Island Ferry. But I still had to take the Algebra exam. And every time I read the questions, they would change. And when I tried to write the answer, the tip of my pencil would break. And when I sharpened it, it turned into a pelican, and sang that Subway 'Five-Dollar Foot Long' jingle.

So my question is: Would this make a good worker-placement game? Or a CCG?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cue legal battle with the estate of H.P. Lovecraft.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robwrigley wrote:
I had a dream last night, too.

I was back in highs school, and I was late for class. And it was final exams week. And I was naked, except I had on a top hat. I was running down the hall to my class, except it wasn't a school hall, it was the basement of my grandma's house. And when I got to the Algebra class, my teacher was M. Emmet Walsh, and he wanted to know why I didn't bring my hamster to class like all the other students.

And then I was on a boat. A big one, like the Staten Island Ferry. But I still had to take the Algebra exam. And every time I read the questions, they would change. And when I tried to write the answer, the tip of my pencil would break. And when I sharpened it, it turned into a pelican, and sang that Subway 'Five-Dollar Foot Long' jingle.

So my question is: Would this make a good worker-placement game? Or a CCG?


Definitely a Rube Goldberg type thing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:


Except the island isn't sinking. Sinking islands are so 2010.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
bradelli wrote:
You need more Cthulu


Needs more smoke monster. And maybe a polar bear.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RileyD wrote:
bradelli wrote:
You need more Cthulu


Needs more smoke monster. And maybe a polar bear.


Cue legal battle with TV executives. I would prefer a game that didn't get me sued...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

snapdragon23 wrote:
Last night I had a dream. I dreamed that I was on a team of research scientists working for an unspecified government agency that were on a data gathering mission somewhere in the ocean. Our ship sank and/or our float plane had mechanical trouble (I'm not sure which - maybe we escaped a sinking ship via rickety float plane?).

We ended up on this island. It was a fairly large craggy tropical island, with swampy coasts and small pockets of sandy beaches. The interior of the island was a steep jungle, basically uninhabitable. The island was in an infinity shape running on a diagonal northeast-southwest. There were many outlying little islands. The weather was cloudy and windy. It was a lot like Puerto Rico if you've ever been there.

Anyway, our research team was glad we crashed on that island because our government agency had a lab outpost there. The lab outpost was retro-derelict in the style of Aperture Labs (Portal etc). The main lab was by the coast of the island on a craggy bluff, and on an outlying craggy island was a communications building that had intermittent access to cell phone and data signal. We contacted our agency for evacuation.

The agency was eager to help us - that is, until they heard where we were. Apparently that lab had been abandoned because of scientific chicanery. I was never sure if it involved radioactivity or human subjects or what, but it was definitely not something this agency wanted made public. So much so, that back in the day (1960s?) the powers that be twisted the arms of the world powers and they all agreed to erase the island from the map, and any record of it. If the agency were to rescue us, they would have to provide justification for the expense, which would mean revealing the island location, which would mean blowing open the cover-up. So they ignore us and leave us to die.

Well we are resourceful, so we use the intermittent data signal to call/text/email everyone we know, convincing them that this is real and that we need help. They need to blast the story to the modern media but first we have to convince them. I was just about to send my message, when I woke up.

SO:

Board game. I think it would make a cool one. I was thinking kind of a mashup of Forbidden Island and Elder Sign.

Something involving a team of researchers with different powers.

Perhaps some kind of using the environment to preserve health and sanity, kind of like Don't Starve (video game).

And the victory conditions involve convincing someone to believe you.

Hit me with your ideas!!



Cool dream!
Could I buy a ticket for your next one?

Sounds like a Win, Lose, or Banana kind of thing.
If you're not familiar with it, don't be confused by its simplicity. The joy of this one is in the conversation required to ferret out the banana.
Possibly there's a similar sort of thing you could put into place, here.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robwrigley wrote:
I had a dream last night, too.

I was back in highs school, and I was late for class. And it was final exams week. And I was naked, except I had on a top hat. I was running down the hall to my class, except it wasn't a school hall, it was the basement of my grandma's house. And when I got to the Algebra class, my teacher was M. Emmet Walsh, and he wanted to know why I didn't bring my hamster to class like all the other students.

And then I was on a boat. A big one, like the Staten Island Ferry. But I still had to take the Algebra exam. And every time I read the questions, they would change. And when I tried to write the answer, the tip of my pencil would break. And when I sharpened it, it turned into a pelican, and sang that Subway 'Five-Dollar Foot Long' jingle.

So my question is: Would this make a good worker-placement game? Or a CCG?


Worker placement, where your workers are your own just-removed teeth.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sound of it. I'm picturing splitting your efforts between basic survival, contacting the outside world, fixing up the old facility to be a useful temporary home, and solving the mystery of what happened there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snapdragon23 wrote:
Cue legal battle with the estate of H.P. Lovecraft.

Public domain.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snapdragon23 wrote:
Thosw wrote:


Except the island isn't sinking. Sinking islands are so 2010.


Sinking islands never go out of fashion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonichi Sanvictores
Philippines
Marikina City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
I like the sound of it. I'm picturing splitting your efforts between basic survival, contacting the outside world, fixing up the old facility to be a useful temporary home, and solving the mystery of what happened there.


Looks like a good retheme/reimplementation for This War of Mine: The Board Game. Fully coop, action selection, resource management --- but with objectives, instead of surviving for X days.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.