Subject: Revealing hole card adds power for the whole duel? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Just to clarify, does revealing your hole card add that amount to your roll for the ENTIRE duel? Like if I roll a 2 and my opponent rolls a 3, so I reveal a 3. Then my opponent rerolls and rolls a 6. It comes back to me and I reroll and get a 5. Is my power now 5+3=8, or just 5?

We played it such that it's 8. In other words, a revealed hole card keeps adding to every roll within the same duel in which it was flipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's correctly played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

mgcoe wrote:
Yes, that's correctly played.

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread because I interpreted the rule differently. The wording on page 10 heavily suggests that the card value can be added only to the number most recently rolled.

Why?
- Paragraph 1 instructs each player to roll a die, which is considered the player's [unmodified] power.
- Then the loser of [that] die roll may choose to pay influence and or reveal their card in to order to modify [that] roll. I put the word, "that" inside brackets because the rule is clear that paying influence allows the player to modify the current die roll, naturally.

And since the rule about revealing the Poker Card immediately follows the rule about using influence, and also considering that the wording, "add the value of their Poker Card to their power", they both combine to strongly imply that the revealed card only applies to the current roll.

Note: Incase it might cross your mind, I'm not confused by the wording in the same paragraph, "can only be done once a round". I know the difference between a round and a duel, so this wording isn't a factor in this discussion.

And I take the words, "The card remains revealed until the end of the round." to simply mean that the card can't be flipped to face-down after being used to modify a duel die roll. It never occurred to me that it remains able to constantly modify every subsequent die roll during that duel.

- Then paragraph 2 instructs the losing player to modify their roll as desired, per the rules described in paragraph 1, which to my mind simply repeats the steps I described above. Nothing suggests that the Poker card can continue to be used, as it was already revealed and used for the previous roll.

Anyway, I hope this is all making sense. Quite frankly I'm not this much of a rules lawyer and would never try to make this sort of anal case during a game! But given that I naturally interpreted the wording to mean something different than that described by the OP and confirmed by Michael, everything above is my wordy way of trying to describe my internal reasoning.

Bottom Line: I humbly suggest the wording in the rules could be clearer to avoid this misinterpretation, and it might make for a good FAQ entry.

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
You make sense to me. I really like the game, but I did find that there were several places in the rules where I had to do more "well, they probably mean it should work like THIS" rather than "it clearly and unambiguously says it should work like THAT".

I have a possible fix. It should say your power is calculated by the currently showing die roll, plus any face up hole card that is not "exhausted" (plus any character bonus). An "exhausted" hole card is one that is face up and turned sideways. At the end of a duel, you "exhaust" any face up hole card by turning it sideways.

With a procedure/explanation like this, I think there's no way you can start a duel and think you could add a previously overturned hole card power to a die roll. You also can't misunderstand that rerolling exhausts your overturned hole card (since it's clearly stated you exhaust it at the END of the duel).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.