United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Knizia is at his best with auction games. And Modern Art is distilled auctiony goodness. The players are art dealers buying and selling pieces among themselves. But success requires not just shrewd purchasing, but also careful forecasting of which artists will be in demand.

The Basics. Modern Art is played over four rounds. In each round, the players are given a hand of cards each of which features a work from one of five different artists. Each card also delineates how it will be auctioned. Starting with the first player, he selects one card to sell and places it face up.

If it’s an open auction, then anyone can bid at any time, jumping in with any price. A closed auction requires each player to submit a bid in their fist and simultaneously reveal, with only the highest bid winning. There are once around auctions, set price sales, and even double auctions.

The player with the winning bid then pays that bid to the player auctioning the card. So, by selling cards, you actually make money. The winning player places the card in front of them and then the next person sells a painting. The round continues until five cards of one artist have been sold.

At the end of the round, you look to see which artists have seen the most works sold. The artist with the most works sold is worth the most and each player with a work from that artist gets a bonus. Same for second and third most. And, if one of those three was popular in a previous round, you get the previous rounds’ bonuses as well.

At the end of four rounds, the player with the most money wins.

The Feel. Modern Art is intense because of one simple rules quirk – you pay your money not to the bank, but to the auctioning player. This opens up several strategic considerations. First, when you buy a painting, you’re essentially splitting the value of it with the auctioneer. He or she gets some money for the purchase and you’re hopeful you’ll get more because that artist will be popular that round.

But that makes bidding critical. Overbidding doesn’t only hurt you by depleting your funds, it directly helps your opponents by increasing their reserves. That gives them more bidding power and, ultimately, more points at the end of the game.

But it breeds careful consideration when auctioning as well. Sometimes, you may want to auction something less likely to be popular because you’re hoping to keep good stuff from your opponents. But more often, you are trying to auction something that will get you a good return. That’s where closed and once-around auctions really come in handy. They force players to make their best bid regardless of what other players do.

And more than just the financial gain, you have to take popularity into consideration. Every time an artist’s work is introduced for sale, that artist becomes more popular. So as you look at your hand, you might see that you have a lot of works from one artist. You can probably force his popularity by consistently putting his works up for auction. But, if the other players don’t do the same, he might seem less popular and you won’t get much money for them.

Because you get money both from auctioning and from buying the paintings of popular artists, you have to manage both sides. After all, it’s money that wins the game – not paintings.

And the fun thing is that, invariably, everybody’s money increases over the course of the game. So no one feels like they failed or completely blew it. Sure, other players might do even better, but you generally get to feel some level of success no matter the outcome.

Put it all together and this is a tight and sometimes cutthroat title. Like many auction games, you try to manipulate the market, force others into spending too much (although, that extra money goes to an opponent and not the bank), and reap the best return on your investments. Plus, the market is completely player driven. Sometimes one artist will be hot the whole game. Other times, that same artist will only flirt with popularity while others take center stage.

Components: 2.5 of 5. There have been many different editions and versions of Modern Art. Mine is the Mayfair white box version, so this score only applies to that edition. The cards are good – I really appreciate their oversized nature. But the money is cheap little plastic tokens (still better than paper!) and the insert seems clearly designed for some other title. The player screens are also flimsy. None of it is terrible or mars the gaming experience, but there’s nothing to get excited about, either.

Strategy/Luck Balance: 4.5 of 5
. Undoubtedly, there is some luck in what cards you draw. Sometimes, you’d prefer to have one type of auction or a card from a specific artist. But most of the time the draw is superfluous. No cards are strictly better than others and it all depends on the game state and group dynamic. To that end, Modern Art places you squarely in control and allows you to make clever plays without the whims of fate interfering.

Mechanics: 5 of 5. Modern Art is simply brilliant. It’s such a small tweak, but having the winning bids go to the player instead of the bank opens up a ton of new considerations. And the player-driven market for paintings is superb. The game doesn’t tell you that certain artists are worth more. Instead, the game lets the players decide what is hot and what is not.

Replayability: 5 of 5. Thanks largely to the open nature of the game, where players can auction and bid anything they want, the replay value on Modern Art is through the roof. The popular artists will necessarily change from play to play and it’s always a fun experience to try to manipulate that market with your cards and to hop on to the opinions of others.

Spite: 1.5 of 5. Spite is very low here. There are no “take that” cards and no way to make someone lose something they’ve bought. Like all auction games, you can bid something up to make an opponent pay more, although that payment often just goes to another opponent. The major spite area is in ending the round. Sometimes a player has a choice to end a round or not, and that choice can dramatically impact popularity and the prices players get paid.

Overall: 4.5 of 5. Modern Art is a stand-out title, and probably one of Knizia’s top 5 designs. The game provides a framework in which players can compete, but doesn’t force any choices. It allows the players to develop the market and, in so doing, creates a system with a ton of replay value and one where it’s not always easy to make an optimal move.

(Originally posted, with pictures, at the Giant Fire Breathing Robot. Check out and subscribe to my Geeklist of reviews, updated weekly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
100% spot-on. The best auction game, and art game, out there. I play with custom set of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I adore this game. It's a "10" for me...but I have the Matigot edition. Ra and Medici rank slightly higher for me overall, but all 3 games are in my Top 10! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only downside to this game for me is that it requires all the players to be of relatively equal skill. This is also somewhat true in most auction games, but due to the semi closed economy here, it is amplified. One ridiculously high bid by an inexperienced player can hand the game to the recipient of that bid. And I have seen it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
The only downside to this game for me is that it requires all the players to be of relatively equal skill. This is also somewhat true in most auction games, but due to the semi closed economy here, it is amplified. One ridiculously high bid by an inexperienced player can hand the game to the recipient of that bid. And I have seen it happen.

Def true, but it's an ingame economy that forces a 'good' player to have to account for bad players and adjust accordingly. i think knowing this going in, is what can make the game fun and not as predictable as this game easily could be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Marley
msg tools
I play this game with engineers at work and it is very cutthroat. After one round, the new engineers already have a decent grasp on how to valuate paintings. The first few times we played this game, scores were really all over the place but this game starts to really shine once people see how to estimate the expected value of a painting AND HOW THEY CAN IMPACT THE VALUE OF THEIR HAND. Whether that means letting other people buy your strong painting so they have a vested interest in propping up that artist or basically warning people before an auction that you have the ability to devalue the painting for the round so that you can get it cheap or greatly limit what the seller gets for it. The game only shines once people understand the dynamics of the game and how the players impact each other strategies. Being able to estimate a painting value is necessary skill, figuring how to setup your hand for the final two rounds is more important. I have won the last 4 games that we have played an I honestly have never made that much money in the first two rounds. The game is about blowing people out after you have made the cards you are holding valuable.

This game will feel vary hum hum with too many new players, who are more or less just going through the motions. The simplicity of the game lends itself to deeper dynamics. New players not understanding this will not understand who won and why and believe that the result is because of the cards they were dealt. Since you are playing off of other people, the game has a light touch that might be hard to figure out at first. I have won games buying everything and others buying almost nothing. It just depends on what the group is doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.