4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Best Full Label Sheets (8.5x11) for Color Laser Printer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer

Oklahoma
msg tools
I wouldn't mind trying out some label sheets for making chits, tokens, coins etc. I am thinking about printing bases on 3D printer and apply stickers to both sides.

I have a nice color laser printer with affordable ink (the 4 cartridge drums are like $50 total and last quite a while).. the HP LaserJet Pro 200 m251nw.

I print on HP Premium color laser paper which is 32 lb and very smooth, bright.. not glossy nor semigloss but more so than regular 20 pound printer paper.

I'd like some labels I can print on with this color laser print, where I can crank up the heat enough for the toner to bond well (like it does with the HP premium stock).

Would appreciate some suggestions thanks.

If I had to I suppose I could seal the print with spray on varnish or packing tape (as laminate), but would prefer something I where I can crank up the heat and not have to worry about it wearing off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamegeekess wrote:

I'd like some labels I can print on with this color laser print, where I can crank up the heat enough for the toner to bond well (like it does with the HP premium stock).

I also use a colour laser, and I take one of two approaches:

1) Use any old full-sheet labels of half-decent quality, and spray-varnish them after printing.

This produces good-enough prints that wear really well and have a great finish. Here in the UK I'd suggest Avery or Deca-dry for good quality labels; I know Avery exists in North America too, at the very least.

2) Use really nice paper that gives the best quality print, and find some other way to adhere it to whatever it's going on. (This also often gets spray-lacquered to protect it and give a nice finish.)

Sometimes I'll use my "Xyron Creative Station" cold-laminator; they sell permanent-adhesive cartridges for it that turn anything up to about 3mm thick into a sticker (the same machine is also sold under the brand "Leitz", and shares cartridges). I find it generally very useful for PnP stuff, although the cartridges can get expensive sometimes.

Sometimes I'll use spray-glue. If you want to make stickers specifically, I've had some luck spraying glue on the paper and then sticking it down to waxed baking paper, which can then be peeled off later - it doesn't work quite so well as 'proper' sticker paper, but it's definitely doable. If you use full-sheet labels for anything else and keep the backing paper intact and uncreased, you can re-use that as well.

Very rarely, I'll use PVA or contact adhesive or something. I don't like using PVA 'cause it often causes the paper to wrinkle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer

Oklahoma
msg tools
Bichatse wrote:
boardgamegeekess wrote:

I also use a colour laser, and I take one of two approaches:

1) Use any old full-sheet labels of half-decent quality, and spray-varnish them after printing.

This produces good-enough prints that wear really well and have a great finish. Here in the UK I'd suggest Avery or Deca-dry for good quality labels; I know Avery exists in North America too, at the very least.

2) Use really nice paper that gives the best quality print, and find some other way to adhere it to whatever it's going on. (This also often gets spray-lacquered to protect it and give a nice finish.)

Sometimes I'll use my "Xyron Creative Station" cold-laminator; they sell permanent-adhesive cartridges for it that turn anything up to about 3mm thick into a sticker (the same machine is also sold under the brand "Leitz", and shares cartridges). I find it generally very useful for PnP stuff, although the cartridges can get expensive sometimes.

Sometimes I'll use spray-glue. If you want to make stickers specifically, I've had some luck spraying glue on the paper and then sticking it down to waxed baking paper, which can then be peeled off later - it doesn't work quite so well as 'proper' sticker paper, but it's definitely doable. If you use full-sheet labels for anything else and keep the backing paper intact and uncreased, you can re-use that as well.

Very rarely, I'll use PVA or contact adhesive or something. I don't like using PVA 'cause it often causes the paper to wrinkle.

THanks for all the tips.

Regarding PVA glue, I find Avery Permanent GLue sticks work really well for cards and tokens. No wrinkling. I print on 32lb HP premium laserjet paper then pva glue the print to 110 lb index card stock for playign cards (which I sleeve) or for gluing label onto chipboard. Also glue layers of punched out cereal box together with the glue stick.

I haven't tried the glue stick on PLA 3D print yet. Was thinking about printing out token blanks on the printer then applying the stickers.. I suppose if I don't use the label sheets the glue stick might work on the PLA.. I'd probably have to lightly sand it first though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In case you haven't seen it, this thread from a while back might be of interest to you.

As an addendum, most of my PnP projects are unsealed but neither the Avery nor the onlinelabels brand products have noticeably faded, smeared, or chipped yet. And some of my games still see pretty regular use a few years in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.