Popular Tags: [View All]
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the first Combat Commander game on Nuku Hiva

Our much-abused Random Vacation Generator (RVG) brought us Tuesday to the Marquesas, the remote island of Nuku Hiva to be specific. The leg from Easter Island is another once-per-week night flight, followed by a brutal 1am to 7am layover in Papeete airport. Once landed on Nuku Hiva, a 75 minute taxi journey which reaches 4000 feet in the lush mountainous interior brought us to our seafront guest house. It turns out the airstrip is on the opposite corner of the island from the town. We are also back in the lands of the nono, the near-invisible biting gnats, but glory be, our low-budget lodging has fine-mesh screens to keep them out, as well as the first air conditioning we have enjoyed since leaving Vanuatu in early August. We have a view of very beautiful Taiohae bay, and the rugged mountain walls encircling it.

Beautiful Bay with interesting volcanic rock features

Good-sized Banyan tree has taken over an ancient ceremonial platform

We have so far failed completely to schedule diving for Donna, because the only dive shop was closed and locked when we visited at 3:30 yesterday, and again this morning at 11am. All 3 of the Chinese stores in town were also closed both those times, in contradiction of their posted times. Pay NO attention to posted hours on businesses in French Polynesia, they are a cruel joke. Fortunately the open-air vegetable and fruit market WAS open, so we are not starving. After an unrewarding walk home, hot and sweaty, we set up what was probably the first Combat Commander game on Nuku Hiva.

Clear evidence of Deep Ones in the Marquesas

On map 49 narrow (lots of mountains and gullies) Donna tried to get clever by choosing a German Conscript Company to put her in the defender’s posture. However I trumped her by choosing only an American Line Detachment. I entrenched my boys on and around objective #5, with a melee-enabled subcommand in the marshy woods through which I figured the Germans would approach.

They say there are 50 varieties of coconuts. These are a glorious orange.

Unfortunately, the game was yet another blowout, with the Germans never really getting off the start line. They surrendered during time trigger #3. Poor Donna had no luck at all, NEVER in the game drawing a single Recover order. The first 2 units to hit the casualty track were her best and 2nd best leaders (I did successful bluffing and misdirection delaying my fire actions until they could have the leader-breaking/eliminating effect). Each time the German artillery managed to smoke my firebase, or useful smoke grenades were used, a breeze promptly blew it all away. My single medium mortar was singlularly accurate and effective. All firepower, no melee.

The Germans have no luck at all.

In 10 games of our CC holiday series we now have:

5 games won by Donna
6 games won by the Americans
7 games won by the defenders

This post will be the last in this ‘first CC game on - - “ series, as Nuku Hiva is the tenth and last south Pacific island we are visiting. Thanks for all the positive feedback,and GAME ON !.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for taking the time to post these colorful AARs. They are much welcome. Love the photographs of your trip, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like we should substitute "orange" for "grenade" and "giant banyan tree" for "fire base." laugh

Relaxing, exploring, playing CC. Sounds like the perfect recipe for a vacation of extended travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Hey, Joe! Got any live ones!?", (but Joe had no grenades). The tank rumbled nearer. Johnny stuffed explosives into his gloves, burrowed deep in the muck and waited; then deftly slapped them into a greasy tread axle and spun for cover; snap-firing...
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Thank you for sharing your interesting journey, Chick. What a trip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
mbmb
I haven't commented much, but I'm really glad you've posted your trip reports for us. As each new island location popped up for reading, I was happy to see it. Fun times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donna and Chick....you are simply GREAT!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.