7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Ideal thickness of meeple? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer

Oklahoma
msg tools
I printed out some on my 3D printer.. an STL model I downloaded from thingiverse.com (carcassonne meeples.. 8 per plate).

They printed out very nicely but I noticed they were pretty thin.

Are carcassonne meeples relatively thin?

The wooden ones I bought from a print & play supplier are about 50% thicker.

I notice the 3D printed "carcassonne" ones tip over easier because they are thinner.

I can easily print them out thicker by changing the scale on the Z axis is Cura.

My question is, what is the ideal thickness? How many millimeters (if you don't mind).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones in my South Seas Carc are 9.5mm (3/8")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer

Oklahoma
msg tools
Thanks,the wooden meeple I got from print & play outfit was 10mm as well.

The ones I printed were 6.5 mm and look thinner than images of the meeples I've seen in carcassonne.

So I just rescaled z axis and now printing a set of 8 at 10mm

Thanks a bunch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne Central has more sizing information than you could possibly ever need

Sizing Info

Thanks to Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shalom Craimer
Israel
Givat Zeev
(Near Jerusalem)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
boardgamegeekess wrote:
My question is, what is the ideal thickness? How many millimeters (if you don't mind).

I bet there's a study about this somewhere. I just can't find the right keywords to find it, I suppose.

Basically, the ergonomics relating to a meeple are all about lifting it off the board and moving it around. So the minimum thickness would be one that allows you to grip the meeple (or any item, such as cubes or discs) between thumb and finger. Better still, you want the players to succeed in lifting it on the first attempt.

Imagine how frustrating it would be to play a game and have pieces keep slipping through your fingers! On second thought, that happens to me most times when I play games with cardboard chits on a hard surface. It's easy to lift them off a soft felt cover, but from a flat wooden table? Sometime I resort to using something else to lever them up. Ugh.

I guess you could try placing your thumb on a table, like you're making a "thumbs down" gesture at the table thumbsdown. If you then rotating around the point where your thumb just touches the table, you should get an idea of how close you can really get it to the surface.

Next, place your thumb and forefinger on the table. Like a "pincer grip". Notice the gap? Ugh, I can't even think of how to describe it. Here's a picture:

So if a meeple is thinner than that gap, the pads of your fingers can't grip it reliably - you'd have to change the angle of your fingers, and actually have to think about lifting it. So lame! So while I expect the real minimum for most adults is about 6mm, it's not as nice as 8mm or even 10mm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Wait. You lay all your meeples down? Are they sleeping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually line them standing up until they are needed, but when you are just setting up the game you just you drop all your meeples (and other peices) from the bag, and chances are most of them are gonna land flat. If they are inconvenient to pick up and organize even at that point, it will affect the experience...

Ergonomics! (amazing that those crazy germans took that little detail into consideration, but it doesn't really surprise me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.