Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Chris
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always love games that use simple ideas and allow players' creativity to flourish.

Battleship is a game where two players place their ship on a grid, hidden from the opposing player. Each player then takes turns guessing where the opposing ships are by announcing which grid square they are targeting. Smart players then make note of where they have guessed and use deduction to determine the location of the opposing ships. Some variants allow for multiple shots at the opposing ships per turn, so called "Salvo" rules.

The game is simple to understand, and can be taught to players as young as 4. Although younger players may need 'assistance' with marking guesses.

The real genius of the game, and the reason I would bother writing the review, is: The placement of the ships is designed to give a good game everytime. Simple, obvious placements are sometimes undetectable because they are so obvious. Clever placings work because they are clever. Only careful, methodical searches will uncover any and all placements. However, if you are too methodical your opponent might get lucky and sink your ships while your just setting up your targeting system.

I find that this game is truely open to all ages for fair competition - without using dice. Every outcome in this game is based on player choice. The game has suspense on every turn, gets more difficult as you sink the big ships (thereby making it easier for your opponent to catch up), and is quick. Don't just dismiss this game as "child's play." It certainly holds a spot for "filler," especially on nautical themed game nights. (Try playing Lifeboats after announcing, "You sunk my battleship!")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.