Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Island War Deluxe Released!

Henry, VA, May 4, 2007 - Lock ‘n Load Publishing, the sole publisher of Lock ‘n Load board games, announced today that their semi-highly anticipated downloadable masterpiece, Island War Deluxe is ready for purchase (www.locknloadgame.com).

“We really didn’t want to steal Spiderman’s thunder on his big weekend, but the game was ready, so we put it up,” stated Mark H. Walker, founder and owner of Lock ‘n Load Publishing.

Island War Deluxe is Lock ‘n Load Publishing’s most ambitious downloadable project yet. A tactical game covering the battles in the South and Central Pacific in World War II, Island War deluxe places the player in the shoes of a Japanese or U.S. Marine company/ battalion commander.

The system design is by Mark Walker, Mark and Bill Wilder (The Proud and the Few, numerous Steel Panthers campaigns and scenarios), and the art is by Nicolas Eskubi and David Julien.

Gamers direct squads, leaders, tanks, artillery, and air support across four lush, geomorphic maps as you recreate some of the most famous engagements of the era. They command Marines armed with BARs, M1919A6 and A4 machineguns, flamethrowers, and satchel charges. Order Sherman and Stuart tanks to blast tough cave and bunker emplacements or call on the Navy’s F4F to swoop on the Japanese from above.

As the Japanese, players may lead their soldiers in a Banzai charge, infiltrate them behind enemy lines (without any lame hidden placement rules) and pin down the Americans with Type 96 and Type 92 machine guns. The Japanese also have light and medium tanks, in addition to Betty bombers, at their disposal.

The game ships with over 131 counters, four geomorphic maps, a simple, yet colorful rules system, and seven scenarios. This engaging game can be downloaded, printed, and ready to play in less time than it takes to watch the Yankees blow a three run lead.

But wait, that’s not all. If printing isn’t your style, use the complete VASSAL module that ships with the game. The module includes all the counters, charts, maps, and scenarios (with the counters already laid out) you’ll need to play right away. Better still, the module includes a tutorial that teaches the basics of VASSAL as it applies to Island War Deluxe.

Print and play on your kitchen table, or use your computer at work. You can’t miss. Lock ‘n Load Publishing… More Games, Less Guff.

Scenarios include:
Bloody Ridge: The 2/5 Marines try to fight off the Japanese 35th Infantry Brigade as they attack toward Henderson Field.

Nishi: A Sherman tank helps Marines clear a ridge, laced with caves, near the tip of Iwo Jima.

Taking the Wanna Ridge: Marines go cave busting near the southern edge of Okinawa. The Japanese play hide ‘n seek, moving from cave to cave.

In the Sun: A Marine patrol is ambushed. Can they escape massacre on the beaches of Guadalcanal?

Forerunner: Marines tighten the nose on Mt. Suribachi.

A Place Called Betio: The beaches of Tarawa. Hard fighting. Air support. Japanese and Marine tanks. Enough said.

Healing Under Fire: Navy Corpsmen try to save Marine lives, as the Marines try to save the Navy Corspmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that makes the game totally unplayable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Wilkinson

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Quote:
Not unplayable, just silly.

I agree. Of all the Japanese names they could have used...

And God knows, wargamers never scoff at inaccuracies of this sort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that it's a downloadable game, making a few minor corrections shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Hey, I had a "Lieutenant" named "Sergeant", so how weird is that? for REAL! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arik Yaacob
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Hey, I had a "Lieutenant" named "Sergeant", so how weird is that? for REAL! surprise

And don't forget major Major (from Catch 22). And we used to laugh about major disaster when I was in the air force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, and two of the American leaders are named Lt. Wayne and Sgt Rock. And, oh yeah, there is also a Japanese ledaer named Honda. And hey, if names really bother you, take a look at our Lock 'n Load games. There's a hero named Rowland, after Mr. King's famed gunslinger, an officer named Clarkson after Kellie, another hero named Hobbs after baseball's greatest legend, another called Unitas (need an explanation there?). German leaders named Bauman, Plassman, and Koch after famed ASL leaders of the past, a German hero named Aniken (after Luke's Dad), and even a Major called Tom.

I could have named the leader Shibasaki after the commander on Tarawa, or Ezaka, his chief of staff, or Kiyoshi Ota who commanded a Type 95 on the same Island, or maybe Mizuno, who commanded the right wing of the assault on Edison's Ridge, or my favorite Japanese name, Kusanagi (after the beautiful Major). It's not that I need help with the names. It's that this is a game. I use games to create, and I inject part of myself into that creation. Usually, the injected substance is humor. I had just watched Scary Movie 4 before I named the leaders, and the scene, spoofing "The Grudge" in which the American spoke to the Japanese boy by rattling off Japanese brand names slew me. Hence, the Sony name. There you have it. An inside look into the publishing process at LnLP.

Oops, I almost forgot to mention the sexy, Vietnamese heroine in ANZAC ATTACK, named Kno Hue... if you know how to pronounce Vietnames, you'll get it.

Oh, and how about the names Colorado, Chicago, and China Gal? They are in Island War Deluxe also... the actual names of surviving Marine Shermans at Tarawa. China Gal (some say it was Chine Girl), actually took a round DOWN THE GUN TUBE, but continued to support the Marines with her machine guns. Check out more details on the game at www.locknloadgame.com.

Best,

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
On a slightly more substantial note, here's a description of play for Island War Deluxe. Read along and consult the photo below.

There are a bunch of counters in that image, and that's intentional. They ARE pretty. I think that we came up with a good design and the artist drew them well. The counters, however, aren't the game.

Lock 'n Load will always be our first love, but we think the Island War Deluxe (IWD)tactical system presents an even more streamlined view of squad-level combat, without losing any flavor. Let's explain.

Across the top of Togi's counter is his command range and leadership. Squads don't require leaders to rally in IWD, but if in the command range of a leader, they help. In fact, Japanese squads don't even shake, they just reduce. They do, however, need a leader to Banzai. Leaders also add their leadership to firepower, and --if in range-- add their own firepower (bottom left of Togi).

So, if Togi and the co-located squad wish to attack the Marines to their left, they need only add the squad's firepower (4) + Togi's firepower (1) + Togi's leadership (1) for a total of 6, locate the column on the Ranged Combat Table (RCT), and roll 2d6. The result either reduces, shakes, or (obviously) has no effect on the target.

Moving on... to the left of Togi a beautiful F4F peels off for a strafing attack. Complicated? Not here. The F4F attacks a line of three hexes. The first two with 1/2 of its firepower (representing the strafing run) and the last with its full firepower (representing the bombs). The Marine pilot rolls on the RCT and applies the results. What can the Japanese player do about it? Well, he has an anti-air rating for each applicable scenario. That rating is added to each hex in the F4F's attack pattern that is occupied or adjacent to the Sons of Nippon to come up with a total AA factor. Before the F4F's canon begin firing he rolls 2d6. If he rolls less than the Jap AA factor the attack aborts, equal to and the Japanese player selects the attack hexes, greater than and the attack goes in as planned.

But what if he misses the 37mm ATG, and the IJA gun wants to take a shot at the Colorado? No sweat, no strain, no columns of rules. Count the distance to the target, add the gun's accuracy modifier (0, in this case) and roll 2d6. If the roll is greater than the distance, it's a hit. Once hit the gun again rolls 2d6 and adds its AP factor (2)... the Colorado subtracts its armor factor (5) from this die roll. If the result is greater than the range, the tank is destroyed. Yup, there are modifiers for moving, pivoting, side and rear shots. But the armor system is simple, fast, fun.

But of course we all know the Colorado survived the beach fight on Tarawa, so that IJA gun is destined to either miss or ricochet off the armor. Hence, the squad next to the gun wants to try to distract the Colorado, button it up, and shut down that awesome .50 cal on the turret. Infantry vs. vehicles? Tough stuff right? Maybe not so much so. Just take the Jap's firepower, find the appropriate RCT column and roll 2d6. But wait! This is a tank, after all. You're right. When infantry is firing on tanks the final RCT column is shifted two columns to the left. If the infantry gets a damaged result, the tank is flipped to its suppressed side. The tank can still fight, but its accuracy is reduced, and so is its firepower (after all, they aren't using that .50 cal anymore). Suppressed tanks are flipped to their prepared side in the next rally phase. Uh, and there are also type 97 ATR and bazookas which can stop tanks in their tracks (so to speak).

Although no counters are shown in melee, lets talk about it. When enemies enter melee The counters are paired off. Each defender must have one attacker. The attacker rolls 1d6 in each of these "mini-battles" and consults the melee factor (3 for the Marine squads). If the die roll is equal to or less than the melee factor, the enemy is damaged. If more than one attacker is assigned to a defender the attacker receives a flanking bonus. After all units in the hex melee, hits are totaled. The side with the most hits must retreat.

Folks, that's just scrapping the surface. Japanese can Banzai (gaining extra movement and melee bonus). They may also conduct infiltration movement, which allows them to be placed in any covered terrain on the map at ANYtime (some variance provided by die roll). Think LnL sniper rules but for entire squads, who can then take an impulse and blast the heck out of adjacent Marines. Japanese may also move from one cave to another underground, popping up in what was previously thought to be an empty cave.

But it's not all about the Japanese. Marines have awesome firepower, more armor, great leaders and cool support weapons. For example, satchel charges and flamethrowers negate the cover bonuses for caves and bunkers. They also more frequently receive offboard arty and air support, but the Japs do get the occasional Betty, which --because it was a higher altitude bomber-- uses slightly different rules than the Marine F4F and Army P47. Oh yeah, and the Japs have their own tanks... Type 95 and 97.

I think we all will really like this game. Nor, will it stop in the Pacific. Sicily and Crete were both Islands, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, Pat. I didn't realize you were serious with the offer. My serious reply would be, no thanks, I appreciate the offer, but I named those folks intentionally and like the names. I do, however, appreciate the the offer of assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
even a Major called Tom

Awesome!

Ground Control to Major Tom
Ground Control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills and put your helmet on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
No offence taken. But anachronisms in a wargame do bug me.

I understand, and appreciate the sentiment. I just...well, I like to kid around. I try to keep from taking these games too seriously.

We all have unique ways of approaching this hobby, and all of them are vaild.

Best,

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.