Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help me choose the right Risk edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evgeny
msg tools
Hi Everyone! Risk is almost unknown in my country and I was exposed to it for the first time doing an exchange term abroad.

I think we played some older edition of Risk (it had special cards and objectives, but no other fancy stuff). I really liked the game! I liked that there were not so many options and you had to work with what you have. Surprisingly, having less options boosted creativity as I had to invent new strategies in a situation of stalemate. It was a definition of "easy to understand, hard to master" game.

I also didn't really mind long gaming sessions. Finishing the game after 5 hours of gameplay had some cathartic effect and kept my mind busy rethinking the gameplay for days afterwards.

Later we tried to play Lord of the Rings edition of Risk and I have to say I mostly disliked it. They added a bunch of additional stuff, which to my mind made the game "bloated".

We've played a total of 6 games of classic Risk, so I'm not sure if the novelty feeling would be the same if we played for longer, but for now I strongly feel that classic, to the point Risk is the best option for me.

Upon my return I decided that I need to buy Risk and show it to my friends. Unfortunately, I have to order from abroad. And now I have to decide what edition do I have to buy. Most likely I'll be ordering from here http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_search.php?pa=searchOnName&...

From what I've learned Risk Legacy is out of option since it changes with every round and I'm planning on playing with different people.

I've read about Risk 2210 and GodStorm and I'm not sure what to think of them. Do they still have the old Risk feeling?

Game of thrones may be interesting (however, I would prefer to play on an actual world map).

I don't have any feeling towards the rest of editions, based on various universes, since I'm not a fan of any of them.

So the bottom line is, which Risk, if any, of those do you think fits me best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Risk Europe is getting some very good reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hear Godstorm can be unbalanced if you control the underworld. 2210 only have 5 turns and you bid on turn order. You have commanders/gods that do special attacks and dice rolls. Since you didn't like Lord of the Rings, I doubt you'd like those mechanics.

I would suggest Game of Thrones Risk its more like the classical Risk and can be played with more people. It has two separate maps depending on player count, so if you only have a few player, you can not use the second map. Its main flaw are the cards are extremely think and it's almost required to sleeve them.

If you are looking for a nonrisk game I would recommenced Conquest of the Empire and use the original rule book, if you want something more complex it comes with another book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
msg tools
Risk: The Walking Dead – Survival Edition is my favorite version of Risk. One of the biggest complaints with Risk is people slow playing and building up huge armies. This version doesn't allow you to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"Our long national nightmare is over."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.

If you live in Europe the Roman Empire version called S.P.Q.RisiKo! might be available. Interesting game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
The new Risk Europe is getting some very good reviews.

Really a good game! Although there isn't much risk in it anymore (but better mechanics meeple )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Risk 2210 A.D. and Risk: Halo Legendary Edition, but I've only exposed the kids to classic Risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
As Pete said, Welcome to BGG!

Does Amazon ship to your country? If so, you would have several more options than Cool Stuff is offering currently...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny
msg tools
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. After some consideration I decided to stick with GoT risk. I'm fine with the setting and I really liked the idea that it has a simplified skirmish mode, similar to classical Risk and more advanced mode that I might want to look into later on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk Legacy if you play with the same group. You can play vanilla Risk on it a few times, then add the Legacy component when you're ready. Then at the end your group will have their own unique Risk game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.