Popular Tags: [View All]
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is for discussion of the UK Maths Trade October 2016. Please keep things friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That came around quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
New Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
sa266 wrote:
Please keep things friendly.

Trade for my games, OR ELSE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This is my first Maths Trade, it's all very exciting.

I think someone has deleted an item. I copied some of the list into a spreadsheet yesterday, and today the numbers after a certain point are off by 1. Annoyingly I don't have the full original list in my spreadsheet, only the items that I'm interested in, so I can't say exactly where the deletion was, only that it was somewhere between number 177 The Manhattan Project: Chain Reaction, and Maharini, which was number 207 yesterday, and is 206 today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cassetteboy wrote:
This is my first Maths Trade, it's all very exciting.

I think someone has deleted an item. I copied some of the list into a spreadsheet yesterday, and today the numbers after a certain point are off by 1. Annoyingly I don't have the full original list in my spreadsheet, only the items that I'm interested in, so I can't say exactly where the deletion was, only that it was somewhere between number 177 The Manhattan Project: Chain Reaction, and Maharini, which was number 207 yesterday, and is 206 today.

Welcome to Math Trading.
From the rules:
Quote:
Deletions and edits of items are allowed during the submission window. If you are editing an item in a way that would reduce its value to the receiver, please delete the original and add a new item instead.

Quote:

I copied some of the list into a spreadsheet yesterday, and today the numbers after a certain point are off by 1.

Don't do that! Creating such lists is really one of the worst mistakes. (and completely unnecessary)
Just use the list in the OLWLG (step 3) to add any games you're interested in to step 4 (or at the very least wait until phase 1 (game submission) is over and no more items should be deleted)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the welcome, and the advice. I read various Math Trade FAQs and guides on here before joining this one, and they were all very clear that deleting an item was very bad, but I see now that it is allowed in this trade, and would only cause problems after the submissions have closed.

My spreadsheet is purely so I can make a list of the titles I'm interested in. There's so many to look through, many of which I haven't heard of, and I have some time now but may be short of time when the list closes. But don't worry, I will ignore the list numbers and look only for the titles in the OLWLG when the list closes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cassetteboy wrote:
Thanks for the welcome, and the advice. I read various Math Trade FAQs and guides on here before joining this one, and they were all very clear that deleting an item was very bad, but I see now that it is allowed in this trade, and would only cause problems after the submissions have closed.

That's true, unfortunately allowing deletions is a relatively recent thing and many (most?) MTs still ban it. That's why the guides told you so. However, this UK MT allows and encourages deletions.

cassetteboy wrote:

But don't worry, I will ignore the list numbers and look only for the titles in the OLWLG when the list closes.

That's a very good idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Related to the deleted items question above, I found this out yesterday:

If you use the OLWLG, go to the trade, then click statistics at the top (looks like a little graph, second from the left. In there there is a count of the what it thinks have been deleted, so you can check there.

However, I would follow the advice above for using OLWLG to manage everything, but I wanted to know which of the "wants" I had wanted was now missing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Math trade October list in the forum doesn't match with the http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg one.
Somebody removed elements.

We have to mark the number corresponding in the bgg.activity.... right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keiwa wrote:
The Math trade October list in the forum doesn't match with the http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg one.
Somebody removed elements.

We have to mark the number corresponding in the bgg.activity.... right?

If you are using the OLWLG, then no, you don't have to do anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cully
United Kingdom
Stonehouse
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OLWLG is a critical tool for math trades, and well worth taking the time to get to know!

- it saves you having to remember which items in the list you want
- you can work through the list incrementally and mark the items you want; OLWLG will remember which items were in the list the last time you looked, and only show you the new items
- You can continually update your wants; as the MT progresses, you can start listing your wants, so that you don't have to do it all in one go when the lists close.
- If your collection and "want in trade" lists are up to date, you can sync them with OLWLG so that you can then use the (quite excellent) "find items in my wants" option, and only see the offered items that are in your wants list
- [EDIT] i forgot - it automatically removes deleted items from your wants so that you dont have to concern yourself with them

future math trades:
- you can see who wanted your items, so that you get an idea of whether to combine/exclude items that don't have much interest, and you can see what sort of things people are willing to trade with you
- you can relist items that didn't previously trade without having to retype everything again

I dont suggest trying to do all things at once, but it's a very useful tool when you take the time to discover it's features!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WillyRapier wrote:
OLWLG is a critical tool for math trades, and well worth taking the time to get to know!

- it saves you having to remember which items in the list you want
- you can work through the list incrementally and mark the items you want; OLWLG will remember which items were in the list the last time you looked, and only show you the new items
- You can continually update your wants; as the MT progresses, you can start listing your wants, so that you don't have to do it all in one go when the lists close.
- If your collection and "want in trade" lists are up to date, you can sync them with OLWLG so that you can then use the (quite excellent) "find items in my wants" option, and only see the offered items that are in your wants list
- [EDIT] i forgot - it automatically removes deleted items from your wants so that you dont have to concern yourself with them

future math trades:
- you can see who wanted your items, so that you get an idea of whether to combine/exclude items that don't have much interest, and you can see what sort of things people are willing to trade with you
- you can relist items that didn't previously trade without having to retype everything again

I dont suggest trying to do all things at once, but it's a very useful tool when you take the time to discover it's features!

This is excellent advice. This is my fifth or sixth Maths Trade using the OLWLG and I've been slowly using it a little bit more each time, exploring it, and I now do all the things mentioned here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griff Glowen
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Super keen for the trade!
I often get the problem that, if I start building by OLWLG want list early, next time I go to it to carry on adding items, it won't show me the whole list but only items added more recently. When I am using my phone or Ipad I cannot click the 'Show me the Whole List' button (or whatever its actual name is) so I am stuck. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't really want to delete all my phone/ipad's cookies/browsing data each time.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Griff Glowen wrote:
Super keen for the trade!
I often get the problem that, if I start building by OLWLG want list early, next time I go to it to carry on adding items, it won't show me the whole list but only items added more recently. When I am using my phone or Ipad I cannot click the 'Show me the Whole List' button (or whatever its actual name is) so I am stuck. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't really want to delete all my phone/ipad's cookies/browsing data each time.
Thanks

That's usually a good thing! I don't want to have to go back through all the items I've already looked at! It does mean I only tend to go through the list when I have time to do all the recent additions though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Griff Glowen wrote:
Does anyone else have this problem? I don't really want to delete all my phone/ipad's cookies/browsing data each time.
Thanks
Right at the top, under the title:

"If you would like to view the entire list ok click here dude"

Redundant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Griff Glowen wrote:
Does anyone else have this problem? I don't really want to delete all my phone/ipad's cookies/browsing data each time.
Thanks
Right at the top, under the title:

"If you would like to view the entire list ok click here dude"

The button doesn't work on an iPad. I have noticed the same issue, but I try to do most of my maths trade activity on a computer anyway as it's by far a faster way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cully
United Kingdom
Stonehouse
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big advocate of using Chrome or Firefox too - either browser has a plugin to enable multiple checkbox marking - really saves time on Stage 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WillyRapier wrote:
I'm a big advocate of using Chrome or Firefox too - either browser has a plugin to enable multiple checkbox marking - really saves time on Stage 4

I have read about this one before but haven't given it a go as I was scared of accidentally checking things I didn't want to. But now I have a system and I pretty much quadruple check everything, so I think I'm happy to give it a whirl!

Any idea what the Firefox plugin is called so I can have a nose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wagglybean wrote:
I have read about this one before but haven't given it a go as I was scared of accidentally checking things I didn't want to.

My fear too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
While we're talking about the OLWLG, I have a question.

One of the Math Trade guides I read stated it was possible to prioritise items by entering a number next to their entry on the OLWLG, e.g. put 500 next to Pandemic and 100 next to Ticket To Ride, and the software will try to find you a swap for Pandemic if it possibly can, only moving onto Ticket To Ride if no Pandemic swap was possible.

The other FAQ I read stated that it was impossible to prioritise items like this - you just select all the items you are willing to receive in return for your game, and you have an equal chance of getting any of them.

Which is correct? (Thanks very much for helping this newbie.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cassetteboy wrote:
While we're talking about the OLWLG, I have a question.

One of the Math Trade guides I read stated it was possible to prioritise items by entering a number next to their entry on the OLWLG, e.g. put 500 next to Pandemic and 100 next to Ticket To Ride, and the software will try to find you a swap for Pandemic if it possibly can, only moving onto Ticket To Ride if no Pandemic swap was possible.

The other FAQ I read stated that it was impossible to prioritise items like this - you just select all the items you are willing to receive in return for your game, and you have an equal chance of getting any of them.

Which is correct? (Thanks very much for helping this newbie.)

afaik the former is correct, though the influence is very low
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamás Lévai
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hello! as a non uk resident but with a contract with a forwarding company am i able to participate? they bring me stuff weekly, and also undertake to send packages by taking them to uk and then with royal mail or courier. is that acceptable? (takes a little longer to send and receive, but had no negative experience w them for 1 year)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm happy with you taking part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lez Andrew
United Kingdom
Ventnor
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
This is my first maths trade and I'm looking for some advice with one of the items I've listed. I have a copy of Munchkin Loot Letter for trade (currently item #265). I've set the game image appropriately but, as its a version of Love Letter then, its name in the Geeklist and in the OLWLG is listed as "Love Letter". Should I be using the +altname+ to set its name up correctly? It just seems a good thing to do so that its clearly marked as "Munchkin Loot Letter" in the OLWLG and its not confused for the copy of Love Letter that's in the list already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bradford
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomyerk wrote:
hello! as a non uk resident but with a contract with a forwarding company am i able to participate? they bring me stuff weekly, and also undertake to send packages by taking them to uk and then with royal mail or courier. is that acceptable? (takes a little longer to send and receive, but had no negative experience w them for 1 year)

As long as you have a UK address to post to, and mention in your posts it may take a bit longer, there shouldn't be any concerns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.