Francesco M
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why a delve quest variant?

My wife and me prefer to play the delve quest since it gives you the feeling of progression while requiring less time than a complete campaign. On the other hand it has its own limit due to the fact that:

- The FAQ hasn’t changed for us the approach to win it.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Kill the Abomination when he is alone in a tier II location, and then clear the rest of the monster deck. The FAQ just make you play in a safer way before the abomination (possibly encountering him when you are at full health) and even more after you have killed him (since you cannot regain health anymore) although it can be quite boring and anti-climatic.

- It doesn’t use all the components from the base game
- It is not so thematic and the background story is definitely not appealing

Mixing together delve quest and advanced quests

In the old Warhammer Quest board game, the dungeon is totally random but in the final room specific situations and victory conditions arise. Following the same concept we have tested the possibility of mixing together the Delve Quest with the advanced quests.

The basic idea is that, when you arrive at the red peril of the delve quest, you continue with the advanced quest using its specific victory conditions. The setup of the Delve Quest is also slightly modified in order for it to be more coherent with the theme of the advanced quest.

Available delve quests

Up until now we have tested and played two alternatives delve quests, The search for Karaz Ankor (Kin Assar has been so kind to put it in the template) and The siege of Schompf, which are now together available also in the PDF file Delve Quest Variants.

Your contribution

I would like to encourage everybody to use a similar concept and make other variants of the Delve Quest based on the good unofficial quests already available. For example I think it would be really nice to have an undead Delve Quest based on “Tomb of the Undead”.

I wish to thank you in advance for your support and I am looking forward to your feedbacks.

Francesco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good idea!
What happens when you arrive at the red peril of the delve quest? You start at the 1st peril spot of the advanced quest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco M
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kakuuuu wrote:
Good idea!
What happens when you arrive at the red peril of the delve quest? You start at the 1st peril spot of the advanced quest?

Yes, that's one of the main rules (it is mentioned on the rules of each adventure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Calder
United States
Freehold
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mithrandir82 wrote:
kakuuuu wrote:
Good idea!

Yes, that's one of the main rules (it is mentioned on the rules of each adventure).

Do you also always go to the advanced quest if you reach the final location ahead of the red peril effect? It was mentioned on one, but not the other.

Great work on this, roughly how many play tests did you do before posting this?

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco M
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
braytak wrote:
Do you also always go to the advanced quest if you reach the final location ahead of the red peril effect? It was mentioned on one, but not the other.

Following your suggestion I have added this possibility also to the quest "The siege of Schompf" but honestly it has never happened to us.

braytak wrote:
Great work on this, roughly how many play tests did you do before posting this?

It was before the summer and it didn't take too many plays for the advanced quest part.

We spent most of the time on the Delve Quest part checking that, at the moment the red peril or the Abomination show up, heroes' health is not so far from the maximum (the fact you can recover health during the Delve Quest helps considerably).

After that we build up also on our experiences with the single quests during our campaigns.

We played mostly with two players and it worked fine for us. Some feedbacks from our games:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
like the standard Delve Quest, we found that is important to limit the damage in the first part. With the right legendary items the abomination can be definitely easier to defeat (but this is also the case in the standard Delve Quest)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco M
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After last game, we have introduced one last modification to the rules (Descent Delve mode is already calling us... laugh).

Depending on the quest only certain types of locations (e.g. "cave" and "lair") are used. Furthermore, instead of removing monsters as described in the Delve Quest, only certain types, again depending on the quest, are re-shuffled after discarded (e.g. Greenskin).

We found that this approach not only enhances further the theme (e.g. more Greenskin the closer you are to their boss) but also make this variant more balanced (less difficult for the heroes).

Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anjovi Kulam
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I was thinking of making an expansion to the game based on this concept. I see that the quests you've used are quest 4 and 5 (late game quests)

I was wondering if you tried making any delves with lower tier quests and if you had any suggestions for any tweaks that one should make for using lower level quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco M
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
anjovi154 wrote:
I was thinking of making an expansion to the game based on this concept. I see that the quests you've used are quest 4 and 5 (late game quests)

I was wondering if you tried making any delves with lower tier quests and if you had any suggestions for any tweaks that one should make for using lower level quests.

First, thanks for your interest in the variant.

We haven't tried to play with lower tier quests since, what makes the game interesting for us, is really the progression from the lower tier to the higher tier. cool

Nevertheless I think you could apply a similar approach for the monster deck also for lower tiers. For example having approximately 13 Tier 1 monsters (a very easy deck) on top of 13 Tier 2 monster (or a mix between Tier 1 and Tier 2 monsters). You can adapt the number of the monster depending on how many locations you have; I think the official quests could give you some additional suggestions.

PS: in the meantime I have uploaded the version 1.1. of the variant, based on our last games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anjovi Kulam
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Thanks for your input! There are a few custom quests yet in the higher tiers. Although i might have to play the game some more to make anything really nice.

I've been working on some quest cards (on bridge size) to print on a website. Going to try to see if i can transfer your 2 quests on them. Were is the 1.1 version located?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco M
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
anjovi154 wrote:
Were is the 1.1 version located?

Version 1.1 is at the same link of version 1 of the Delve Quest Variant which includes both the files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luix10 luix10
msg tools
let me ask you a little thing: I saw a quest card based in one of your quests, but you replied some modifications after the publishing and I noticed that you didn't include the cards on the file... are those cards outdated?
Is there any special reason to stay in the page layout after the modifications?

Thank you for the quests!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco M
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Indeed Kin Hassar has been very proactive and kind to create and upload the quest card but there were some typos (and updates) which were not implemented.

Thus I would really reccomend to refer to the PDF version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.