20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Tabletop Simulator for Playtesting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Irham Abdul Halim
Singapore
flag msg tools
As the title suggests, anyone of ya'll do blind playtesting using TTS? If so, how often and why that often. Any drawbacks?

Being from Singapore limits my game's playtesting possibilities (in a physical sense) due to the sheer size of the community to even further solidify a PnP version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it happens but i've not seen it.

non-blind playtesting though i have seen happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
I regularly test my games through TTS. Usually I explain the rules and leave ppl to play while observing from spectator seat or just play along with them.

Blind testing is possible, but then you need to also put full rule book together with your game mod. Something that I'm not doing yet. Sometimes I do post video explanations of my games and rules with examples how everything works. It's easier for me. (I just hate writing rule books!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irham Abdul Halim
Singapore
flag msg tools
8Oj4N wrote:
I regularly test my games through TTS. Usually I explain the rules and leave ppl to play while observing from spectator seat or just play along with them.

Blind testing is possible, but then you need to also put full rule book together with your game mod. Something that I do not do yet. Sometimes I do post video explanations of my games and rules with examples how everything works. It's easier for me. (I just hate writing rule books!)

I friggin know right! Writing rules is a chore BUT is essential nonetheless. I'll be putting up my game in Workshop within a few weeks time.

In what other ways do you promote your game by the way, other than through BGG forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
I do not promote my games. I make them because I like the whole process of making and designing, and seeing how everything works in the end. I'm weird.
Maybe one day I will try to publish something... We'll see. :}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
irhammy wrote:
As the title suggests, anyone of ya'll do blind playtesting using TTS? If so, how often and why that often. Any drawbacks?

Being from Singapore limits my game's playtesting possibilities (in a physical sense) due to the sheer size of the community to even further solidify a PnP version.

I think blind is tricky, but doable. I know a lot of folks do this, and then leave the last update there until a KS campaign starts.

Daily Magic Games (the folks behind the Valeria: Card Kingdoms series) do this and it really helps out I think with their KS once it's ready.

Depending upon where you are in the process, I'd say you could always go into the chat room and just ask if anyone is interested in play testing your game. Just be prepared with a two sentence summary of the game as best as you can as the audience there is wide.

Also, just by posting it up to the workshop you'll get some attention, if you can make all of the rules available and then include s note saying you're asking for feedback. This might be the best way to accomplish b,ind play testing. Not sure how much attention it gets, but it will get some.

Once it's uploaded you can also post on here and call people out to it, too.

Good luck! And when you have it up let me know, I'll give it a shot myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irham Abdul Halim
Singapore
flag msg tools
8Oj4N wrote:
I do not promote my games. I make them because I like the whole process of making and designing, and seeing how everything works in the end. I'm weird.
Maybe one day I will try to publish something... We'll see. :}

Not weird at all, man! Never dictate a passion is what I always say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irham Abdul Halim
Singapore
flag msg tools
hestiansun wrote:
irhammy wrote:

I think blind is tricky, but doable. I know a lot of folks do this, and then leave the last update there until a KS campaign starts.

Daily Magic Games (the folks behind the Valeria: Card Kingdoms series) do this and it really helps out I think with their KS once it's ready.

Depending upon where you are in the process, I'd say you could always go into the chat room and just ask if anyone is interested in play testing your game. Just be prepared with a two sentence summary of the game as best as you can as the audience there is wide.

Also, just by posting it up to the workshop you'll get some attention, if you can make all of the rules available and then include s note saying you're asking for feedback. This might be the best way to accomplish b,ind play testing. Not sure how much attention it gets, but it will get some.

Cool cool! Noted with thanks! Yeah definitely man, I'll let the whole world know don't worry, hahaha!

Just a heads-up, it's a hidden movement concept where the play environment will never be the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
What's your nick on Steam? Maybe we can meet in TTS, I would love to see your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irham Abdul Halim
Singapore
flag msg tools
hestiansun wrote:

Depending on where you are in the process, I'd say you could always go into the chat room and just ask if anyone is interested in playtesting your game. Just be prepared with a two sentence summary of the game as best as you can as the audience there is wide.

Also, just by posting it up to the workshop you'll get some attention if you can make all of the rules available and then include s note saying you're asking for feedback. This might be the best way to accomplish b,ind play testing. Not sure how much attention it gets, but it will get some.

8Oj4N wrote:
What's your nick on Steam? Maybe we can meet in TTS, I would love to see your game.

I go by the name of Jai Gantique in steam hahaha Game is still being tweaked here and there, though. Here's a teaser for you guys! Still wondering if "PORTALED" has 1 L or 2 Ls, or if it's even a word.

p.s all drawings are done with a friggin mouse!! Hand cramps hurt like a biotch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Teneslav
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
irhammy wrote:

I personally have used Tabletopia on my game and cannot recommend it enough. Great platform, hoping to catch on more soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irham Abdul Halim
Singapore
flag msg tools
SaberRider wrote:
irhammy wrote:

I personally have used Tabletopia on my game and cannot recommend it enough. Great platform, hoping to catch on more soon.

But I heard Tabletopia has a monthly subscription right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
TTS is, in my opinion, much better conducted environment for playing any kind of games. Even dexterity games. Also, TTS has some scripting abilities and ppl are already making some magnificent things with it.
Prototyping is faster also. I once got a full game up and ready in 12 h lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
irhammy wrote:
SaberRider wrote:
irhammy wrote:

But I heard Tabletopia has a monthly subscription right?

They do. It's roughly the same as the cost to purchase Tabletop Simulator if you catch it on one of the many sales it goes on, if you get the basic package. You need to get a higher subscription plan depending upon how you want to host, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig M
msg tools
mbmb
I'm set up for playtesting on TTS. All I need is the playtesters...

I was part of a group that was supposed to use TTS to swap playtesting efforts, but it has gone into hibernation. everyone wants their own game playtested, and is not so interested in other peoples...

But, I am trying to set up a group that swaps playtesting efforts, using a semi-formal point system where you earn playtest credits and then spend them.

PM me if you are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irham Abdul Halim
Singapore
flag msg tools
Arcuate wrote:
I'm set up for playtesting on TTS. All I need is the playtesters...

I was part of a group that was supposed to use TTS to swap playtesting efforts, but it has gone into hibernation. everyone wants their own game playtested, and is not so interested in other peoples...

But, I am trying to set up a group that swaps playtesting efforts, using a semi-formal point system where you earn playtest credits and then spend them.

PM me if you are interested.

I'd love to join but I'm mostly doing this during my spare time. As always, time is the problem.

Question, what could we spend our points on by the way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig M
msg tools
mbmb
The general idea is, if you want playtesters, you do a couple of things first:
you earn points by critiquing rules/mechanics
you earn points by playtesting games on TTS, PnP or play-by-email

Then, once you have some points, you can spend them on:
having your rules/mechanics critiqued
having your game playtested.

Yeah, I know, it would be much better if everyone just loved your game and playtested it for the sake of community, and I'm sure that happens sometimes, but mostly it doesn't.

As for spare time, I understand. I have two day jobs, do shift work, have four kids, lots of hobbies I can't find time for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irham Abdul Halim
Singapore
flag msg tools
Arcuate wrote:
The general idea is, if you want playtesters, you do a couple of things first:
you earn points by critiquing rules/mechanics
you earn points by playtesting games on TTS, PnP or play-by-email

Then, once you have some points, you can spend them on:
having your rules/mechanics critiqued
having your game playtested.

Yeah, I know, it would be much better if everyone just loved your game and playtested it for the sake of community, and I'm sure that happens sometimes, but mostly it doesn't.

As for spare time, I understand. I have two day jobs, do shift work, have four kids, lots of hobbies I can't find time for...

Shoooot you sound busy as heck!

Sign me up! I can't promise frequency though..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irham Abdul Halim
Singapore
flag msg tools
Quick update, I've posted a playtest thread for anyone who is interested to playtest the game in TTS:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23889464#23889464

And thank you guys for the awesome feedback and suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig M
msg tools
mbmb
Hey there, PM me your email address, and I will send an invite to the Slack group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.