Subject: Soviet Mid War rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthonii ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Australia
flag msg tools
4.6 Five Mississippi
mbmbmbmbmb
30 Games in I know i am getting better at the game and that is great, however I have one glaring weekness.

When playing as USSR, I struggle to close out a game in the Mid War. If i hit any little hurdle i never seem to be able to regather momentum. As US i don't have the same problems as I can almost just react to the USSR player to either set traps or vandalise his work.

Wondering if any one has some strategy hints, guides etc.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miyares
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I've noticed is if the USSR has built up a big lead in the Early War, around 15 or so VP, that generally means that the Early War Regions in which they dominate have been scored twice... which means that they won't be scored again until Turn 7.

The US actually starts out ahead in the Mid-War regions, in terms of access and influence already placed (Panama and South Africa) as well as access to Algeria through France. These points of access, however, are vulnerable.

DeGaulle, or aggressive Europe play, can enable the Soviets to beat the US to Algeria. Panama is one coup away from going Red, and since there's only 1 US IP in South Africa, it's not always a bad idea to take a -1 Realignment to set them back.

I'm disregarding event cards that allow the Soviets access to these regions (Fidel, DeStal, DeCol, Junta, Liberation Theology) because you don't always have control over them, but take advantage of opportunities when they arise.

Besides keeping track of Scoring Cards, and targeting regions accordingly, pay attention to events that give you VP. We Will Bury You, Arms Race, and U2 Incident tend to be played for Ops a lot, since they are 3-4 value cards, but they can each be worth 3VP, which adds up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
I wonder if you're doing something in the Early War that is crippling your Mid War game. The time to gain access (and deny USA access) to Mid War battlegrounds is usually Turns 2 and 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.