Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth» Forums » News

Subject: Partworks from Hatchette rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I only found out about this yesterday, so sorry if I'm repeating well-known information I just missed: Hatchette has teamed up with Games Workshop to release a new partworks. Every fortnight you get a hardback book from the line of 40,000 novels.

I believe there are 80 books in total, priced at £10 each (bloody hell, that adds up!). Available in the UK and Ireland only.

You can pick up the first copy in newsagents for £2. It's a novel charting the events that eventually lead to the betrayal at Calth (which is why I'm mentioning it). Other novels in the series are covering other aspects of the 30k and 40k history.

The first book is actually really nicely presented, with original cover art, quality binding, and colour plates in the centre. I think it's worth picking up, even if you don't want to subscribe.

I've included a link to the official site below. Note that I'm not in any way associated with this company and cannot vouch for continuing quality or customer services.

http://www.warhammer40klegends.com/
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty cool.

Damn shame it's UK and ROI only.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
I only found out about this yesterday, so sorry if I'm repeating well-known information I just missed: Hatchette has teamed up with Games Workshop to release a new partworks. Every fortnight you get a hardback book from the line of 40,000 novels.

I believe there are 80 books in total, priced at £10 each (bloody hell, that adds up!). Available in the UK and Ireland only.

You can pick up the first copy in newsagents for £2. It's a novel charting the events that eventually lead to the betrayal at Calth (which is why I'm mentioning it). Other novels in the series are covering other aspects of the 30k and 40k history.

The first book is actually really nicely presented, with original cover art, quality binding, and colour plates in the centre. I think it's worth picking up, even if you don't want to subscribe.

I've included a link to the official site below. Note that I'm not in any way associated with this company and cannot vouch for continuing quality or customer services.

http://www.warhammer40klegends.com/


It would be even better if each game came with a new unit card and/or rules, but this is very interesting.

Thanks for sharing, and I don't think it was known by the BGG community.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
I only found out about this yesterday, so sorry if I'm repeating well-known information I just missed: Hatchette has teamed up with Games Workshop to release a new partworks. Every fortnight you get a hardback book from the line of 40,000 novels.

I believe there are 80 books in total, priced at £10 each (bloody hell, that adds up!). Available in the UK and Ireland only.

You can pick up the first copy in newsagents for £2. It's a novel charting the events that eventually lead to the betrayal at Calth (which is why I'm mentioning it). Other novels in the series are covering other aspects of the 30k and 40k history.

The first book is actually really nicely presented, with original cover art, quality binding, and colour plates in the centre. I think it's worth picking up, even if you don't want to subscribe.

I've included a link to the official site below. Note that I'm not in any way associated with this company and cannot vouch for continuing quality or customer services.

http://www.warhammer40klegends.com/


It would be even better if each game came with a new unit card and/or rules, but this is very interesting.

Thanks for sharing, and I don't think it was known by the BGG community.


That would have been cool, but as the novels cover the whole history of the universe it's unlikely they would have tied it to Calth anyway.

To the best of my knowledge, this is only the second time GW have ever done a partworks. The last time was for the Lord of the Rings tabletop game, and I believe that did pretty well. This time they are keeping it completely separate from gaming - it's all about the stories.

Apparently, Hachette has sometimes released UK-only partworks in other areas at a later date. I'm not sure if they have American distribution at all, but someone who knows the company better may be able to chime in on that front. If they do, then these books may eventually turn up in other markets.

(PS. On a personal note, if anybody has picked up the second book in the series, can they please confirm what number is on the spine for me. I am trying to figure out if Hachette are issuing the books in the correct number sequence (and therefore correct chronological sequence). Other partworks have a habit of giving you issues out of sequence in an effort to prevent early termination of the subscription.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
cmontgo2 wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
I only found out about this yesterday, so sorry if I'm repeating well-known information I just missed: Hatchette has teamed up with Games Workshop to release a new partworks. Every fortnight you get a hardback book from the line of 40,000 novels.

I believe there are 80 books in total, priced at £10 each (bloody hell, that adds up!). Available in the UK and Ireland only.

You can pick up the first copy in newsagents for £2. It's a novel charting the events that eventually lead to the betrayal at Calth (which is why I'm mentioning it). Other novels in the series are covering other aspects of the 30k and 40k history.

The first book is actually really nicely presented, with original cover art, quality binding, and colour plates in the centre. I think it's worth picking up, even if you don't want to subscribe.

I've included a link to the official site below. Note that I'm not in any way associated with this company and cannot vouch for continuing quality or customer services.

http://www.warhammer40klegends.com/


It would be even better if each game came with a new unit card and/or rules, but this is very interesting.

Thanks for sharing, and I don't think it was known by the BGG community.


That would have been cool, but as the novels cover the whole history of the universe it's unlikely they would have tied it to Calth anyway.

To the best of my knowledge, this is only the second time GW have ever done a partworks. The last time was for the Lord of the Rings tabletop game, and I believe that did pretty well. This time they are keeping it completely separate from gaming - it's all about the stories.

Apparently, Hachette has sometimes released UK-only partworks in other areas at a later date. I'm not sure if they have American distribution at all, but someone who knows the company better may be able to chime in on that front. If they do, then these books may eventually turn up in other markets.

(PS. On a personal note, if anybody has picked up the second book in the series, can they please confirm what number is on the spine for me. I am trying to figure out if Hachette are issuing the books in the correct number sequence (and therefore correct chronological sequence). Other partworks have a habit of giving you issues out of sequence in an effort to prevent early termination of the subscription.)


It's number 69 (dude!). So no, they're not releasing them in order. It's Xenos by Dan Abnett though, which is a bloody good book.
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:


It's number 69 (dude!). So no, they're not releasing them in order. It's Xenos by Dan Abnett though, which is a bloody good book.


Thanks for the confirmation. I had just seen someone on YouTube confirming it was 69, and was coming back here to update my post! I don't like how partworks do that, but it's to be expected now. All the graphic novel collections work the same way. It does make it annoying, because if you cancel early, you have gaps in your spine art.

At the moment, I am in two minds about this one. It's £20 a month, nearly £800 in a little over 3 years, which is quite a chunk of cash. The First Heretic (issue 1) is the first 40K novel I've ever read, and I'm really enjoying it, but I wonder if I really want 80 novels from the line on my shelf. I feel like I might get a bit fed up eventually, yet feel like I would have to continue to get the collection.

I think I would already be a subscriber if they were for the WFB line of books.

Thanks again for the info... and don't forget to wind your watch.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
panzer-attack wrote:


It's number 69 (dude!). So no, they're not releasing them in order. It's Xenos by Dan Abnett though, which is a bloody good book.


Thanks for the confirmation. I had just seen someone on YouTube confirming it was 69, and was coming back here to update my post! I don't like how partworks do that, but it's to be expected now. All the graphic novel collections work the same way. It does make it annoying, because if you cancel early, you have gaps in your spine art.

At the moment, I am in two minds about this one. It's £20 a month, nearly £800 in a little over 3 years, which is quite a chunk of cash. The First Heretic (issue 1) is the first 40K novel I've ever read, and I'm really enjoying it, but I wonder if I really want 80 novels from the line on my shelf. I feel like I might get a bit fed up eventually, yet feel like I would have to continue to get the collection.

I think I would already be a subscriber if they were for the WFB line of books.

Thanks again for the info... and don't forget to wind your watch.


Even if you don't subscribe I'd say pick issue 2 up - if you haven't read Xenos you gotta. It's not just a great book compared with the 40K range, it's a great book full stop and totally worth the £6.99 or whatever the discounted price is.

'Course, if you do pick it up, there's more chance of you pulling the trigger on that subscription ...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
panzer-attack wrote:


It's number 69 (dude!). So no, they're not releasing them in order. It's Xenos by Dan Abnett though, which is a bloody good book.


Thanks for the confirmation. I had just seen someone on YouTube confirming it was 69, and was coming back here to update my post! I don't like how partworks do that, but it's to be expected now. All the graphic novel collections work the same way. It does make it annoying, because if you cancel early, you have gaps in your spine art.

At the moment, I am in two minds about this one. It's £20 a month, nearly £800 in a little over 3 years, which is quite a chunk of cash. The First Heretic (issue 1) is the first 40K novel I've ever read, and I'm really enjoying it, but I wonder if I really want 80 novels from the line on my shelf. I feel like I might get a bit fed up eventually, yet feel like I would have to continue to get the collection.

I think I would already be a subscriber if they were for the WFB line of books.

Thanks again for the info... and don't forget to wind your watch.


Even if you don't subscribe I'd say pick issue 2 up - if you haven't read Xenos you gotta. It's not just a great book compared with the 40K range, it's a great book full stop and totally worth the £6.99 or whatever the discounted price is.

'Course, if you do pick it up, there's more chance of you pulling the trigger on that subscription ...


Yeah, issue 2 is £6.99, and then it's £10 each for the rest.

To be honest, at the moment I'm looking for more reasons NOT to subscribe. £20 a month isn't a noticeable outgoing, but I do balk at the thought of spending close to £800 on the full subscription. That's a lot of GW games I could buy instead.

But I do love me some books...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What do these resell for?

The other series they do, as a basis, I mean.

I have seen a few of the Judge Dredd books, but didn't really like that they were non-chronological assortments of themed stories.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
What do these resell for?

The other series they do, as a basis, I mean.

I have seen a few of the Judge Dredd books, but didn't really like that they were non-chronological assortments of themed stories.



I honestly haven't got a clue. Partworks don't usually work out cost-effective over time though, and it's not likely you can make back what you paid. The benefit is you pay in small sums, so you don't really miss it.

I have done two Lord of the Rings chess set collections in the past, and I think they were £6.99 each, but the individual issues now sell for about £2 plus postage, and a full set doesn't cost much more than £100.

The books (Marvel graphic novels, for example) tend to hold value a little better, and are often better value than buying the books new in stores. With the 40K books, they are about £10 each in paperback in the UK, so getting them for £10 in hardback with colour plates is very reasonable. Even so, secondary market prices aren't great.

Partworks usually have an initial run (in this case 80 books), but they usually go on beyond that if they are successful - effectively doing a "second season." Most people cancel long before that point, and therefore the "second season" (or later) tend to be much more desirable on the secondary market and often sell for more than they originally cost.

The biggest issue with partworks is you get everything out of sequence, and with the books, they have continuous spine art, so if you cancel at any point, your spine art has gaps.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the spine art on the Judge Dredd books is pretty cool. But reading Dredd out of chronological order is sort of a mess, especially since the series actually has progressed in real time, with Dredd aging.


The Black Pearl model ship set is odd. 120 issues at 6.99 to build a fictional wooden ship model.

I remember a French magazine years back that did a similar thing, though with a historic ship.

A magazine with instructions and a few pieces, maybe an article.


I would likely sub to this, at least for a few books and the mug...

Then again, I haven't been inclined to seek out all the 40k novels beforehand, so there's that.

The new GW novels are EXPENSIVE. I was looking at some of the AoS ones. They are hardcover generally though.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, according to the advertising:

"The books are given in an order chosen by the experts at Games Workshop to give new and old readers alike a coherent and immersive reading experience."

The first five books are:

The First Heretic
Xenos (first in a trilogy)
Warriors of Ultramar (second in a trilogy, I believe?)
Fifteen Hours
Horus Rising

That doesn't feel coherent to me. Anybody with more knowledge of the books have any thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha.

Most of the people at GW now, were 5 when these books came out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Horus Rising is book 1 of the Horus Heresy books, and the first part of the opening trilogy. The First Heretic is in the same series and in the high teens. Honestly, the order here is just weird.

That said, the Horus Heresy series is fantastic!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.