Subject: Letters from Japan Game 02: The Tables are Turned! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned in the previous report, my wife (aka The Missus) wanted to play Letters again after we finished our first game. It's an extremely rare request for my wife to want to play a board game not to mention it being immediately after playing one.

So we played again!

And it was bad.

We were pressed for time and the baby was crying so we couldn't give the game our full attention. My wife, most of all, was more concerned with the baby and finishing in time that she didn't pay any attention to the clues she discovered (which were only 1 per round). Because of that, unsurprisingly, I won easily as Jack.

Due of this, there is no way I can consider that an official game session and I will not be writing a report of that. Instead I humbly submit this session report as the second official game.

Dramatis Personae

Jack the Ripper - (The Missus)

Investigators - (me)

The tables are turned! The hunted is now the hunter. Yes, this is my first time as the police and Jack will be controlled by my wife. I was really looking forward to experiencing this exciting game from the other side of the law--the lawful side.

Hideout: Location 166

Night One: Hell

Head of the Investigation: n107
A Corpse on the Sidewalk: Location 4
Time of the Crime: Space II

Jack decided to wait one turn and then decided to kill the Wretched who I moved from Location 3 to 4 to be closer to my police token starting nearby.

Night One: Hunting

Jack made his kill and vanished into the night! However, within a couple moves, my wife announced that she made a mistake: even though she killed on Location 4 and recorded it as such, she started her movement from Location 3 saying that she thought Jack always started from the original red space. She realized her mistake as she noticed me counting spaces from Location 4 and not 3. She admitted the error and we thought about what to do. I asked her if she could still have reached her current location if she had started at Location 4 instead of 3 as it should have been. Upon checking she said it was possible and, making it more of a non-issue, I subsequently discovered the first clue on Location 28.

Now I realized the direction she took and that she was heading south. I began to close in on the area, trying to check all the side streets heading down and soon I found her trail going down from 48 to 63 and over to 84. By the time she made it to her hideout on Movement Space 9 I was fairly certain that her house was to the south-west of 100.

Night Two: Hell

Head of the Investigation: n107
A Corpse on the Sidewalk: Location 21
Time of the Crime: Space I

Now that she was aware that I was onto her hideout, I think she picked a distant kill to try to spread out my police. She said she wasn't going to wait, not wanting the pawns to move closer to the police so she made her kill and the chase was on!

Night Two: Hunting

I was able to get a line of police stretched across Whitechapel Road leading towards the crime scene while keeping a couple pawns back in the south-western half, expecting Jack to make it that way. I continued to send police up and down the side streets but to no avail; I couldn't find any clue.

I started thinking that maybe I was wrong about her hideout OR she was taking a very roundabout way back. Eventually she began to worry and asked what happened at Movement Space 15 to which I replied the game ends unless she makes it home. It was then that she confessed that she may have spent too much time looping around to confuse me and she didn't think she'd make it back on time.

With each passing move, I started moving back to the area I believed she was running to while continuing to find no clues. Meanwhile, The Missus kept muttering that she wasn't going to make it back. I told her to study the board carefully and think about utilizing the remaining special movement tokens to the best of her advantage.

Still not a single clue to be found, Jack used his last Alley Token on Movement Space 15 and declared he made it to one location away from his hideout. The time was over and so was the game. The Police won by default.

---

Final Thoughts:

I won, but it wasn't a true victory. My wife did indeed waste too much time trying to plant a false trail as she traced the eastern edge of the board before weaving in and out of the streets south of Locations 74 and 76. Had she waited one round before killing, she would have had just enough (maybe even one to spare) moves to get home. It taught us important lessons on how useful waiting can be (other than the obvious) and that you have to really plan your steps carefully if you're going to take time to create a confusing path.

Even though she lost in a very undignified way, my wife said that she really liked being Jack a lot better than the police. And, to my delight, she said she was still interesting in playing again soon. Score!

---

WIN RECORD:

Jack the Ripper - 0

Police - 2

n107 (1)
The Missus (1)

---

Ripper Case File

Game 00: One Night Only
Game 01: Til Deaths
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Maher
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like being the police
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm enjoying it, but I'm not doing too well. Though I'm not doing well as Jack either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.