U-Boat Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: Torpedo Attacks... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading the rules from the second edition and need a little clarification. According to page 20 under Aggressive Torpedo Attacks am I correct in saying I have the choice of firing 3 torpedoes at a single target, rolling a die for each and determining damage for all 3 or declaring a torpedo spread rolling a die for all 3, modifying the roll by +2 and then only taking the highest result (or 2 if the rolls were equal)?
It seems that if I'm attacking something like the HMS Royal Oak (Torpedo Number 5-9-12) and I roll a 7,8 and 9 if I use them individually I get 2 Light and 1 Heavy Damage. The 2 Light Damages make a Heavy Damage and 2 Heavy Damages sink the ship. Whereas if I use a spread the 7,8,9 roll modifies to 9,10 and 11 which means the ship only takes 1 Heavy Damage for the 11 roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Fields
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hadn't considered that interpretation but I think a spread is your only option. Otherwise you are effectively getting 2 rounds of combat in one turn. I think timing wise you have one "shot" per round, single shot or spread.

Remember that if you have duplicate highest roles you get multiple damages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a spread is the only option doesn't that make the first paragraph on page 20 redundant? Having thought about it thematically I wonder if firing 3 individual torpedoes would simulate aimed torpedoes allowing the possibility of all 3 hitting or all 3 missing if the commander got the firing solution wrong, while firing a spread increases the chance of at least 1 hitting the ship (hence the +2 modifier)or if you are lucky 2 with equal rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. M.
msg tools
Technically, you can receive 3 hits as well if all 3 dice show the same result. More relevant for 4 torpedos though, where you could receive 4 light hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.