17 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Alternative to the Russian Campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J D
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can someone recommend an alternative to "The Russian Campaign"? Alternative game should have a similar scale in a WW2 setting (Eastern or Western front) and is currently in print or available for a reasonable second-hand price.

There is a P500 at GMT, which I pre-ordered... But not sure when this will ship.

The Vassal module could also be an option, but the related rule book uses a strange font type that is pretty tiring to read after a couple of pages. Is anyone playing this on Vassal?

Looking forward to your ideas. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either HoldFast: Russia 1941-1942 or No Retreat! The Russian Front
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Brunton
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SquadGamer wrote:

Can someone recommend an alternative to "The Russian Campaign"? Alternative game should have a similar scale in a WW2 setting (Eastern or Western front) and is currently in print or available for a reasonable second-hand price.

There seems to be P500 at GMT. Not sure when this will ship.

The Vassal module could also be an option, but the related rule book uses a strange font type that is pretty tiring to read after a couple of pages. Is anyone playing this on Vassal?

Looking forward to your ideas. meeple

I'd recommend Trial of Strength. You can get the first edition by Panther Games on the second hand market - I see there's a copy on BGG listed for $35. It's a game by Dave O'Connor who is an absolutely brilliant designer who's now focused on the Command Ops 2 series on the pc. However there's a reprint of TOS coming in the near future from Lock n Load Games.

Okay now why do I recommend it?

1) Combined movement and combat system. Depending on the size of a battle you fight and the number of Mp's the battle hex will generate movement penalties to subsequent units which helps to model friction. A big battle involving more units will generate bigger delays than smaller battles.

2) Neat system utilizing HQ's and off map storage boxes for the corps under the HQ. So that panzer army may have a bunch of panzer corps in it or it may have a bunch of infantry corps in it ala 2nd panzer army in 1944.

3) Step reductions - the corps and army manoeuver units are multi step and often have more than two steps. So there's more granularity as units get reduced down. The nice thing is that in combination with the off map boxes you'll never be quite sure how weak or strong some of those army/front Hq units are.

Great game, you may want to wait for the reprint.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8208/trial-strength

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If a true solitaire game is of interest, I highly recommend The Barbarossa Campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolute War! - The Attack on Russia 1941-45 looks interesting.

Im also waiting with baited breath to autopreorder mmp's forthcoming barbarossa game based on the A Victory Lost and A Victory Denied series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Barbarossa Deluxe, an updating of Barbarossa: The Russo-German War, 1941-45 (which I have not played). A lot of chrome, but the basic system is pretty simple. Looks good. Interesting how the game portrays the gradual decline of the Wehrmacht and improvement of the Red Army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Brunton
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Westie wrote:
I just got Barbarossa Deluxe, an updating of Barbarossa: The Russo-German War, 1941-45 (which I have not played). A lot of crome, but the basic system is pretty simple. Looks good. Interesting how the game portrays the gradual decline of the Wehrmacht and improvement of the Red Army.

I've done a Vassal mod for that game which is available at the Decision Games site. My friend Bill had the original game and has a lot of good things to say about it. I'm looking to get a game of Barbarossa Deluxe and it does look like a really neat game.

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Alternative to the Russian Campaignm
Russia Besieged is literally an evolution from Russian Campaign with a bit more polish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

was about to recommend the same. Maybe Holdfast is simpler and faster than no retreat for the same results (1941-Jan 43)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Try this one. Pretty accessible on the secondary market. Still well supported by guys who love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reprint for No Retreat: The Russian Front should ship "Mid-Late November, 2016" from P500. Same as the first print, but with some updates to the cards for clarity and minor changes (also available separately).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"...Eastern or Western Front..."
Consimworld forum can give you a list of almost every game made for either front.
BGG pages can give you scale, counters, map-size, ratings, playing time, owners, etc. production date, and same-page Geeklists can give you similar games.
Ebay (as a market), cannot give you a complete list of anything because of non-specific game-titles and listings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Hoepper
msg tools
narodynot wrote:

Try this one. Pretty accessible on the secondary market. Still well supported by guys who love it.

*Two Thumbs up* Just wish a western Front + Italian Front set would have been made and a combining campaign system and it would have been a perfect game covering the whole war from 1941 onward.

Also many "what-if" situations with that would possible.

Too sorry it never happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Interesting video review from June 2016 of Marco Arnaudo's top 10 WW2 Eastern Front games:

He made a video review in the same fashion for WW2 Western front games:

Although it involves different scales and levels of complexity, I think that gives a pretty good overview of titles that could be of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duempel51 wrote:
narodynot wrote:

*Two Thumbs up* Just wish a western Front + Italian Front set would have been made and a combining campaign system and it would have been a perfect game covering the whole war from 1941 onward.

Also many "what-if" situations with that would possible.

Too sorry it never happened.

You should try the UGG games Empires of Apocalypse games (Morsecode, Triumph and Fall of the Desert Fox, and Cold Days in Hell). They use a very similar system.

Morsecode ···–

Triumph and Fall of the Desert Fox

Cold Days in Hell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ukraine '43, from GMT Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There really is no substitute for TRC IF you take into account the following points:

Smooth very easy play - huge map that fits on a normal table - big exploits in second step mechanised movement - simple but oh so well thought out supply and railroad systems - exciting and competitive shorter scenarios.

Mr Paradis as a kind of ode to TRC made No Retreat: the Russian Front a few years ago, but while it is a good game, it lacked the fluid big "physical" encirclements or breakthroughs seen in TRC.

The same goes for The Dark Valley by Mr Ted Raicer, but equally it doesn't check all the points that TRC made so special as a teaching tool for PLAYABLE intermediate historical wargames.

I would just advice to get a cheap second hand copy of TRC. It simply is a game that belongs in every wargamer's inventory.

And I am pretty sure even these 2 gentlemen above would agree about TRC. It was and still is a milestone to introduce newer gamers to hex based wargaming.

EDIT: The TRC 3rd Edition from Avalon Hill can be obtained at lower prices than the deluxe 4rd edition reprint of L2. Try finding a heavely used copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.