Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Nicholson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmb
So having finally got to grips with Hex Draw and playing around with counter art I have had a go at setting up a D-Day campaign.

Please do not critique my ability at drawing maps and getting locations correct in terms of proximity. My main aim was to get Sword, Juno and Gold linked up whilst trying to include the Orne river bridges, Hilman and other key locations.

I am still playing around with balancing and timings of when the 12th SS Panzer division and 21st Panzer Division arrive.

Having great fun playing this through especially with my son.

So Barry, your game is not forgotten and it is still being enjoyed.

Now, on to doing the American sectors!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good! I do not envy you the balancing part, but go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing work! Please keep us posted and keep posting pics...and eventually scenario files
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
Amazing work! Please keep us posted and keep posting pics...and eventually scenario files

Yes! This!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply superb. Any plans to upload the maps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nicholson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello all,

I thought I should just let you know how I have gone about some of this.

Firstly there is a great site for images for vehicles and planes .etc.

http://www.wardrawings.be/WW2/Files/Site.htm

I also took Barry's original artwork and I remembered someones design idea on this site ( apologies to that person ) which then led me to this:

My counters are an inch in size ( joys of getting older ) and mounted on thick greyboard. My maps I poster print across 2 A4 pages which then handles the larger counters.

I will upload the maps but you will need to cut them down a bit in order to link the maps together, as per this:

Apologies I struggled to get this right on Hex Draw. The imagery is also for ASL and I am sure someone could do a better job if they have the V&V artwork. Also as I mentioned my locations are not necessarily historically accurate ( Hilman should be opposite Sword and not Juno ).

You will also notice I bought some blank dice on ebay and created customer dice for each division ( perhaps going a bit far I know ).

In all the divisions I created were:

German:
706th Static Infantry Division
21st Panzer Division
12th SS Panzer Division

Allies:
6th Airborne ( @ Pegasus )
3rd Infantry @ Sword
3rd Canadian Infantry @ Juno
No. 4 Commando @ Sword
SAS @ Sword ( hey i'm a Brit, not sure they went on the beaches but you have to have the SAS there )
50th Infantry @ Gold
79th Armoured supporting all beaches
7th Armoured in reserve

Still to work out timings on some of these and balancing of course!

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nicholson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: D-Day - Advice on American Sectors
I am in the process of drawing ( via Hex Draw ) the American sectors.

Due to the shape of Normandy I currently have Utah jutting out ahead of the other zones.

Whilst I appreciate the proximity of these beaches (locations) are not historically accurate I am trying to build the maps in a way to give some ground between Airborne troops and the troops landing on the beach/ Point Du Hoc.

Would people prefer to see the maps as per the above layout or in a straight line making it easier ( if you have a large enough table ) to lay them out.

Happy for opinions before I start doing all the other maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good, except it seems odd that the Utah chopping off abruptly on the left without a matching map panel for it. Since the rest all fit together in one large map, why not keep that format with this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I appreciate the attempt at geographical accuracy, for gaming purposes, a straight line map set up would be my preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nicholson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your replies.

I'll stick to the straight approach.

Need to buy a bigger table!

It should end up like this then

Where the icons are for the 82nd and 101st is where I will assume they will drop.

Will aim to finish the other maps and then issue these as well as a RAR file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.