Subject: How can there be a bilingual version of a word game?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are Dutch/German bilingual versions of Lingua. Obviously, the distribution of letters in the game has to match the distribution in the language used. Since Dutch and German obviously are two different languages, how can there be a single version??

(Dutch and German are not the worst languages to combine, still: look at the tables:
Letter/Dutch/German
A 7,66% 6,51 %
B 1,36% 1,89 %
C 1,30% 3,06 %
D 5,41% 5,08 %
E 19,06% 17,40 %
F 0,73% 1,66 % (!)
G 3,12% 3,01 %
H 3,12% 4,76 %
I 6,29% 7,55 %
J 1,82% 0,27 %
K 2,79% 1,21 % (!)
L 3,80% 3,44 %
M 2,56% 2,53 %
N 9,91% 9,78 %
O 5,80% 2,51 % (!)
P 1,49% 0,79 % (!)
Q 0,01% 0,02 %
R 5,62% 7,00 % (!)
S 3,84% 7,27 % (!!)
T 6,42% 6,15 %
U 2,10% 4,35 % (!)
V 2,24% 0,67 % (!!)
W 1,72% 1,89 %
X 0,05% 0,03 %
Y 0,06% 0,04 %
Z 1,60% 1,13 %
Ä 0,03% -
Ë 0,03% -
Ï 0,01% -
Ö 0,01% -
Ü 0,02% -
ß - 0,31 %

(The German letters Ä, Ö, Ü are counted as A, O, U, so the table is not 100% accurate)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Mc
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
Obviously, the distribution of letters in the game has to match the distribution in the language used.

Does it though? I mean, it probably should, at least in a relative sense, like there should be more 'E's than 'X's sure... but it seems to fall into an acceptable degree of variation to have some letters that are more 'valuable' than others. If an 'O' is twice as common in one language, and a 'U' is twice as common in the other, then so be it. It just means a letter would be perceived as more 'valuable' depending on which language you're playing in. No?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmc14 wrote:
smithlucas wrote:
Obviously, the distribution of letters in the game has to match the distribution in the language used.

Does it though? I mean, it probably should, at least in a relative sense, like there should be more 'E's than 'X's sure... but it seems to fall into an acceptable degree of variation to have some letters that are more 'valuable' than others. If an 'O' is twice as common in one language, and a 'U' is twice as common in the other, then so be it. It just means a letter would be perceived as more 'valuable' depending on which language you're playing in. No?

the problem is that the more "valuable" lettes don't give you more points.

(That's why there are a lot of different Scrabble versions for different languages.)

Another example: Y is by far more common in English than in German. So if I played Scrabble with an English set (using German words), I'd often get end up with a lot of Ys on my hand. Sure, you can call that a special "task" though I tend to prefer not to be confronted with such - obviously worse - draws. (Generally, you could of course also change the scoring value of a letter instead. (e.g. a Y scores higher in German than in English), though the didn't do that either in Lingua.)

After all, it's probably not that bad, you can certainly play the game the way it is (both in German and in Dutch) - looking forward to playing it. (The special feature seems to be that certain letters placed on certain spots give you a lot of bonus points.)

I just wish they had even considered this issue. They could for example have come up with a variant like this:
If you want to play in German, remove X pieces of [letter], Y pieces of [letter]...
If you want to play in Dutch remove X pieces of [letter], Y pieces of [letter]...

(If I even knew for which language it was originally designed. most probably for German, so maybe the problem is more relevant to Dutch players anyway)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Lucas, what are your sources for the letter distribution in both languages?

I don't really get what you did with the umlaut[DE]-letters in the table.
In Dutch they are used differently, as trema[DU]-letters to mark that they need to be pronounced separately (e.g.: poëzie[DU] would be read as po-ezie). In wordgames the trema is usually simply omitted.

(edit: typo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Das wrote:
Lucas, what are your sources for the letter distribution in both languages?

I don't really get what you did with the umlaut[DE]-letters in the table.
In Dutch they are used differently, as trema[DU]-letters to mark that they need to be pronounced seperately (e.g.: poëzie[DU] would be read as po-ezie). In wordgames the trema is usually simply omitted.

http://www.sttmedia.de/buchstabenhaeufigkeit-niederlaendisch
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buchstabenh%C3%A4ufigkeit
(not the most reliable sources, though sufficient for a quick check)
So it would probably be better to add the percentage of the letters Ä, Ë, Ï, Ö, Ü to A, E, I, O, U respectively (as it has been done for the German table)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Mc
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally get your point, and perhaps you could house-rule a language variant that removes some tiles if you found it to be a problem. I'm just thinking, personally, I'm alright with some draws being strictly 'better' than others, as long as a letter is usable in the given language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, adding them to the regular letters would make sense. They don't even appear in the Lingua game.

It has been a long while since I have played this game, but I seem to remember that you could swap 2 letters for 2 new ones from the pool, instead of taking a normal turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.