Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
2-3 months ago, my wife picked out Kingdom Builder at our local FLGS. I was a bit apprehensive about the game because of all the hate the Dice Tower guys had dumped on it. Granted, they (mostly) do the same thing for Galaxy Trucker and I like that game just fine. After a few plays and a quick addition of a variant (we start with a hand of two cards to begin the game,) Kingdom Builder has become a frequent visitor to our tabletop. Whether it is just my wife and I, or friend and family, the game has been well received.

I'm not tired of the game yet, it has lots of replay-ability. But I am always down to keep things fresh. I am looking for some detailed recommendations. Which expansion do I get and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder is one of my favorite games.

Kingdom Builder: Nomads added the red player pieces, so, I had to get that one.

However, I think that Kingdom Builder: Crossroads is the superior expansion.

There are two more expansions coming out (I think my big box with everything is expected in November), as well as three promo micro expansions. So, my opinion on best main expansion may change, but, for now, it is Crossroads.

For storage, I currently have everything available in the main Kingdom Builder box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have played a couple hundred times; of the large expansions, we only own Kingdom Builder: Nomads. We've played Crossroads at a friend's house several times, and it's fine but introduces more changes/chrome; in any case, we've not yet felt the need to acquire it.

Also, the base game plus Nomads fit together in the smaller Nomads box.

Also note that you can easily improvise the few bits needed for Kingdom Builder: Capitol and Kingdom Builder: Caves. We own Capital and improvise Caves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
It depends strongly on what you want your expansion to do. Nomads adds things which give you VP 'en route' making the game more tactical; Crossroads gives out bonuses and extra movement, emphasising the strategic aspects, but not as strong as extra goal cards (which I am holding out for). The other mini-expansions I haven't played yet despite owning them.

It can very well be the case that neither expansion meets your desires.

That said, there are two new ones scheduled: Marshlands and Harvest due later this year IIRC (or already out). So you may want to wait a while longer to see what these do, and don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I guess with new ones out I will sit on it a bit to see which one fits us best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.