53 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Few questions about Star Trek Attack Wing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
navy 2001
msg tools
so last year i got Star Trek attackwing for christmas (i love the game bought voyager, Borg scout cube, Borg Tactical cube, Tholien 1, Scorpien attack SQ, and the reman warbird)

but i still have a few questions im puzzled with..

1. do critical his cont as damage?

2. what does the critical hit toction do?

3. how meany actions can ships take per turen? like if you do Targetlock can you not say use photon torpedoes after it? or do you have to do nothing for that action then when attacking use it?

thats all my questions i have atm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, glad to hear you are enjoying your gift. I wasn't so enthused. However, I did own it for awhile and still play X-Wing which has VERY similar mechanics.

1. Yes, criticals count as damage. The only difference is you suffer the effects of the face up side of the damage card as well as having a hit on your hull. Just remember, in general, you remove shields before taking any damage cards at all.

2. The critical hit token is nothing more than a reminder to you and your opponent that a ship has a critical hit effect in play. If you repair the hit or manage to turn the card over due to some effect, you do not keep the token in place.

3. Typically, a ship takes one action per turn unless more are allowed by upgrade or ship special ability. Possible actions are those listed on your ships action bar and any upgrade cards. This happens immediately after you move your ship. A target lock is an action. However, firing weapons, whether your primary weapon or a secondary is not an action. It is part of the combat phase. So, you may obtain a target lock as your action and then fire a torpedo later in the turn (instead of firing your primary weapon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
msg tools
Welcome! Star Trek Attack Wing is great fun. Since you have some Borg pieces, please check out the errata and rules for them at:

http://wizkids.com/attackwing/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/201...

http://wizkids.com/attackwing/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/201...

Since you are just starting, a lot of the errata will be a trip into the weeds but it will become clearer with time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navy 2001
msg tools
"So, glad to hear you are enjoying your gift. I wasn't so enthused. However, I did own it for awhile and still play X-Wing which has VERY similar mechanics.

1. Yes, criticals count as damage. The only difference is you suffer the effects of the face up side of the damage card as well as having a hit on your hull. Just remember, in general, you remove shields before taking any damage cards at all.

2. The critical hit token is nothing more than a reminder to you and your opponent that a ship has a critical hit effect in play. If you repair the hit or manage to turn the card over due to some effect, you do not keep the token in place.

3. Typically, a ship takes one action per turn unless more are allowed by upgrade or ship special ability. Possible actions are those listed on your ships action bar and any upgrade cards. This happens immediately after you move your ship. A target lock is an action. However, firing weapons, whether your primary weapon or a secondary is not an action. It is part of the combat phase. So, you may obtain a target lock as your action and then fire a torpedo later in the turn (instead of firing your primary weapon)."

i see thanks

an anther question..if you attack when you did an action before could you use say worf to rewoll or would that be an action?

also i forgot one ship..Deadnought ship though it seems not that good..it always dies fighting my tactical cube

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actions only happen during the activation phase, which is immediately after your ship moves. Worf's (from the starter set) ability takes place during the combat phase, not the activation phase. Also, his ability on the card is not preceded by the word "Action:" so it is not considered an action.

So, regardless of the action you performed after you moved, can use Worf's ability to re-roll your attack dice by placing a disabled token on his card. You will need to spend an action on a later turn to remove the disabled token if you want to use his ability again though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navy 2001
msg tools
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
Actions only happen during the activation phase, which is immediately after your ship moves. Worf's (from the starter set) ability takes place during the combat phase, not the activation phase. Also, his ability on the card is not preceded by the word "Action:" so it is not considered an action.

So, regardless of the action you performed after you moved, can use Worf's ability to re-roll your attack dice by placing a disabled token on his card. You will need to spend an action on a later turn to remove the disabled token if you want to use his ability again though.

i see..thank you!

also you need to spend an action to remove the disable? i though it was it was disabled for like 2 turns or somthing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
navy3002 wrote:
Mr_Tricorder wrote:

i see..thank you!

also you need to spend an action to remove the disable? i though it was it was disabled for like 2 turns or somthing

Yes, you normally remove disabled tokens by spending an action during the activation phase. However, some cards have special abilities that allow you to remove disabled tokens in other ways.

Some cards, such as the newer versions of some of the torpedoes, call for time tokens instead. Time tokens act like disabled tokens except that you remove them automatically at the end of the turn instead of spending an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navy 2001
msg tools
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
navy3002 wrote:
Mr_Tricorder wrote:

i see..thank you!

Yes, you normally remove disabled tokens by spending an action during the activation phase. However, some cards have special abilities that allow you to remove disabled tokens in other ways.

Some cards, such as the newer versions of some of the torpedoes, call for time tokens instead. Time tokens act like disabled tokens except that you remove them automatically at the end of the turn instead of spending an action.

i got the grasp of the time tokens down pretty well and thanks for all the awnsers!

also i wished they added the time tokons to the reamon warbord 10 dice attack make it feel more like the movie one to simiate the blast charging
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, they missed that opportunity in the Scimitar re-release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
navy3002 wrote:
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
navy3002 wrote:
Mr_Tricorder wrote:

i see..thank you!

i got the grasp of the time tokens down pretty well and thanks for all the awnsers!

also i wished they added the time tokons to the reamon warbord 10 dice attack make it feel more like the movie one to simiate the blast charging

Thaleron Radiation (the 10 dice Romulan attack card) is a discard attack (you can only do it once). It's a pretty powerful attack as it is because it does not require a target lock and it is the most deadly when fired at a Federation ship with a lot of crew and a good captain. If this card was converted to time tokens it would be pretty out of control.

Also the Fed player would want Transphasics to be time tokened as well!

Torpedoes in general are pretty awful in this game, and of the two above, Thaleron is probably better because of the lack of a target lock, but Transphasics combined with a captain to add an action (which the Feds have) is more likely to destroy a ship in one shot. But that's because of the number of dice. A regular torpedo with 5 dice is really mostly pointless compared to the primary weapon value of 5 or 6 (especially in a Sovereign or Prometheus class with Dorsal Phaser Arrays).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
navy3002 wrote:
"So, glad to hear you are enjoying your gift. I wasn't so enthused. However, I did own it for awhile and still play X-Wing which has VERY similar mechanics.

3. Typically, a ship takes one action per turn unless more are allowed by upgrade or ship special ability. Possible actions are those listed on your ships action bar and any upgrade cards. This happens immediately after you move your ship. A target lock is an action. However, firing weapons, whether your primary weapon or a secondary is not an action. It is part of the combat phase. So, you may obtain a target lock as your action and then fire a torpedo later in the turn (instead of firing your primary weapon)."

i see thanks

an anther question..if you attack when you did an action before could you use say worf to rewoll or would that be an action?

also i forgot one ship..Deadnought ship though it seems not that good..it always dies fighting my tactical cube

I don't own the ships or cards anymore so I can't speak authoritatively on any particular card. However, generally speaking, "actions" are those listed on the ships action bar AND those abilities on upgrade cards that congaing the keyword: "action". If a card allows you to re-roll dice, add a token, repair a shield or any other function, it only uses an action if the card says "as an action or just action" Typically, re-rolls are during the combat phase and are not actions which typically only occur during the maneuver phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navy 2001
msg tools
carbon_dragon wrote:
navy3002 wrote:
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
navy3002 wrote:
Mr_Tricorder wrote:

i see..thank you!

Thaleron Radiation (the 10 dice Romulan attack card) is a discard attack (you can only do it once). It's a pretty powerful attack as it is because it does not require a target lock and it is the most deadly when fired at a Federation ship with a lot of crew and a good captain. If this card was converted to time tokens it would be pretty out of control.

Also the Fed player would want Transphasics to be time tokened as well!

Torpedoes in general are pretty awful in this game, and of the two above, Thaleron is probably better because of the lack of a target lock, but Transphasics combined with a captain to add an action (which the Feds have) is more likely to destroy a ship in one shot. But that's because of the number of dice. A regular torpedo with 5 dice is really mostly pointless compared to the primary weapon value of 5 or 6 (especially in a Sovereign or Prometheus class with Dorsal Phaser Arrays).

well i ment like "place 3 time toctons on this card when all are removed you may fire it* so it feels like that op slow-charging weapon from the movie!

alos P.S i was watching a review for the new oversiced cube and it says that the named cube shields can not be effected by hostile upgrates

weapons upgreades are upgrades..so does that mean torpedos and stuff will do nothing to the cube shields? only the ship main weapons may damage the shields?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
Can you quote the text? I highly doubt weapon upgrades would not damage its shields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Your shields cannot be affected by upgrades from an opponent's fleet."

I'm just gonna have to assume that we're meant to read "affected" as not including being destroyed as a result of combat damage. Bit of a stretch, but...yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a discussion of Thaleron radiation a while back to whether upgrades that save crew from discard work with this. The result was that weapon upgrades don't count in this respect and I think here too, weapons aren't the same as other upgrades that have an effect on a ship. Up to WK I guess if they bother to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most weapon upgrades don't affect shields, anyway: they cause damage. That damage may go on to destroy shields, inflict hull hits, or whatever else comes up. So I wouldn't worry about it for most purposes.

That does still leave weapons upgrades that affect shields, like Borg Missile. I suppose we could refer to the Thalaron precedent, in that case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
carbon_dragon wrote:
There was a discussion of Thaleron radiation a while back to whether upgrades that save crew from discard work with this. The result was that weapon upgrades don't count in this respect and I think here too, weapons aren't the same as other upgrades that have an effect on a ship. Up to WK I guess if they bother to say.

Where was that at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe from here? Been a long time http://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1815&p=4220&h...

The idea was can "We won't go back" be used against Thaleron? No because being "affected" by an enemy card is different from being hit by a secondary weapon.

Note I seem to have had the context wrong but this was what I was remembering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
carbon_dragon wrote:
Maybe from here? Been a long time http://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1815&p=4220&h...

The idea was can "We won't go back" be used against Thaleron? No because being "affected" by an enemy card is different from being hit by a secondary weapon.

Note I seem to have had the context wrong but this was what I was remembering.

Um...according to the WORF ruling you have there, the answer should be:
No, because the opponents weapon upgrade is not targeting your ship - the opponents ship is declaring your ship a target per the combat rules and then making an attack with a weapon upgrade.

Im still failing to see why discard prevetors would not work vs Thalaron Weapon. There are WORF rulings for Koss and Dispersion Field:
http://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1944&p=6350&h...
http://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2433&p=6307&h...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is why I said I got the context wrong. That said Koss was strange and I found that ruling hard to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
Its basically saying you need to have total hits = captain+crew to discard crew with Koss present.
The example they use is captain, Koss, and 3 more crew, so you would need 5 hits. If you only got 3 hits, then the opponent could assign the hits to the 3 crew, Koss would keep them from discarding, then you would discard Koss per his errata.
4 hits, opponent could assign hits to 3 crew and captain, Koss protects the crew, captain gets discarded, then Koss discards.
5 hits, opponent could assign hits to 3 crew, captain and finally Koss. Since Koss gets discarded, he cannot protect the other crew, who also get discarded, along with the captain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But wouldn't any 1 point crew do as well by just being discarded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
carbon_dragon wrote:
But wouldn't any 1 point crew do as well by just being discarded?

I dont follow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Koss would prevent a crew card from being discarded, discarding himself. Any 1 point crew could absorb a point of damage first before getting to another crew, discarding. If Koss saved Crew Riker and there were more points, Riker would still end up discarded right?

What don't I understand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
carbon_dragon wrote:
Well Koss would prevent a crew card from being discarded, discarding himself. Any 1 point crew could absorb a point of damage first before getting to another crew, discarding. If Koss saved Crew Riker and there were more points, Riker would still end up discarded right?

What don't I understand?

You're trying to resolve the effect one card at a time, it affects all crew and captain cards at the same time. Koss prevents all the crew from being discarded for the one effect. Like the WORF ruling linked prior, you would assign damage to all the crew, then Koss would keep them from being discarded, then be discarded per his errata.
If there was enough damage to assign to Koss, then you would lose all your crew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.