Subject: My Dung Beetle Knight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello all.

I've just finished painting my Dung Beetle Knight. I know there are others out there that are painted better than this one, but I'm still a beginner painter and I'm pleased enough with my efforts enough to share it.

You can't tell from the pictures, but I painted the wings with 'Ardcoat to make them shiny, an effect that I think works well.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Styfen wrote:
I like the colour choices, they're very complimentary on the pallet but also different enough to be striking. Thumbs up.

I have two critiques:

The yellow could do with more depth, add some orange-yellow or yellow-brown to the areas that would be in shade and lighten the areas that would be in light with a little yellow/bone mix. The yellow is the colour that's detracting the most from the piece, it's a little too flat and too vibrant so it's drowning out the painting on the plates. That is unfortunate because the plate painting is where the party is at on this model and you want the eye to be drawn to that blue/green combination, not the edging.

Secondly I feel the base has too much grass on it, perhaps in the future you could go for a more sand look with a few patches of grass instead. I do however like the dead grass flock you've chosen, that's perfect for the setting.

Prior to painting the yellow it looked very flat. When I started to add the yellow it seemed to come alive and I got excited and I think I stopped thinking about shade and highlights! You're very right, though, toning the yellow would have been a better way to go.

In regards to the grass, I was of the opinion that tufts would break up the grass. In future would adding a lot more tufts also help with breaking up the grass or should I always go for a second medium like sand or dirt?

Thank you for your feedback. I greatly appreciate it. I've seen minis you've painted and have been impressed by them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice work. My first thought was wow that kind of looks like Gypsy Danger from Pacific Rim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I could achieve those results myself, for I suck at painting... great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Shu1984 wrote:
Wish I could achieve those results myself, for I suck at painting... great job!

I found the Dung Beetle Knight to be the easiest one to paint. You just need to plan it all out before you take a brush to it.

Ordinarily my blending isn't the best, but the cracks in the carapace make it seem more blended than it really is. I painted a layer of Naggaroth Night over it and then applied the blues and greens using a Citadel medium layer brush. Before brushing the colours, I ran the brush over the palette a number of times to take almost all of the paint off the brush, and then brushed using the flat side of the brush, not the tip, to ensure that the paint didn't fall in to the cracks. The cracks hide the flaws in the blending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.