Popular Tags: [View All]
Michel Velleman
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok,

I know that those types of games are hard but we're wondering if the rules are really that harsh:

So, on your turn, you play your 4/5 actions, depending. Then you pick your 2 players cards. 1 is a contagion, so you add the necessary cubes, which can/will trigger outbreaks. Fair enough. But then, after those outbreaks,do you still pick up 2/3/4 virus cards, more than likely triggering further outbreaks?

We've been playing it that way BUT it does feel overly rash and kind of "double-jeopardy-ish"...

HELP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you drawing the epidemic city from the bottom of the infection deck? An outbreak from this is rare in my games. The outbreak from adding cubes to the epidemic city only occurs if there was already a cube (of that color) on the city.

You do draw from the infection deck as normal though after that (and after shuffling the discard pile and placing it on top).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim S.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Meric68 wrote:

Then you pick your 2 players cards. 1 is a contagion, so you add the necessary cubes, which can/will trigger outbreaks.

I'm pretty sure the rules say that when you are drawing your player cards and draw a contagion card, that it can add cubes/figures but does NOT trigger outbreaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Velleman
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimOfLegend wrote:
Meric68 wrote:

Then you pick your 2 players cards. 1 is a contagion, so you add the necessary cubes, which can/will trigger outbreaks.

I'm pretty sure the rules say that when you are drawing your player cards and draw a contagion card, that it can add cubes/figures but does NOT trigger outbreaks.

Thanks for the answer. I think I will need to go and re-read the rules, sloooowwwwly, to make sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
This is getting confusing. Please use the actual terms the game uses!

By "contagion" do you mean Epidemic? If so, Marlene's answer pertains.

If you mean the thing which arrives in May, i.e.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Accelerated Incubation

...then Tim S's answer is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Velleman
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:

Accelerated Incubation

I'm sorry, I'm a french player playing the French version asking questions in English and writing from nemory...

No matter, I'm going back to the rules since my question seems so poorly worded...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meric68 wrote:
clivej wrote:

Accelerated Incubation

I'm sorry, I'm a french player playing the French version asking questions in English and writing from nemory...

No matter, I'm going back to the rules since my question seems so poorly worded...

I suspect you mean Epidemic cards: the big Green ones that you stack throughout the deck? In that case, yes, the points above hold. You draw the bottom card from the deck and place three disease markers on that space. Note you can't have had this Infection card before in the game, so it will only cause an Outbreak if there's already a marker on this space from another source (an adjacent city of the same colour outbreaking being the only base game example).

This is all part of the Draw step, and the drawing of an Epidemic card does not prevent the Infection step, so you still have to draw cards unless you've had anything to prevent that (e.g. the One Quiet Night event). This will draw cards from the newly reshuffled top part of the deck, possibly including the just-drawn Epidemic location causing an inevitable outbreak! Yep, it can be pretty nasty.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Velleman
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Meric68 wrote:
clivej wrote:

Accelerated Incubation

I suspect you mean Epidemic cards: the big Green ones that you stack throughout the deck? In that case, yes, the points above hold. You draw the bottom card from the deck and place three disease markers on that space. Note you can't have had this Infection card before in the game, so it will only cause an Outbreak if there's already a marker on this space from another source (an adjacent city of the same colour outbreaking being the only base game example).

This is all part of the Draw step, and the drawing of an Epidemic card does not prevent the Infection step, so you still have to draw cards unless you've had anything to prevent that (e.g. the One Quiet Night event). This will draw cards from the newly reshuffled top part of the deck, possibly including the just-drawn Epidemic location causing an inevitable outbreak! Yep, it can be pretty nasty.

Good luck!

Thanks Simon, this clarify and confirms what I was fearing: double wammy!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Meric68 wrote:

Ah, OK!

I've just found the French rules online.

"Epidemic" == "Épidémie"
"Infection cards" == "cartes Propagation"

Je pense qu'il y a plusieurs personnes ici qui pourrait répondre aux questions en français. (-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Velleman
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Meric68 wrote:

Ah, OK!

I've just found the French rules online.

"Epidemic" == "Épidémie"
"Infection cards" == "cartes Propagation"

Je pense qu'il y a plusieurs personnes ici qui pourrait répondre aux questions en français. (-8

C'était mon espoir! (Even if I posted in English ) Based on your profile, are you French-speaking living en England or "just" well versed in French (the "Ha, OK is spot on!)? Juste par curiosité !laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Étant honnête, je sais seulement un petit peu de français.

Cependant, il suffit pour lire des règles. (-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Velleman
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Étant honnête, je sais seulement un petit peu de français.

Cependant, il suffit pour lire des règles. (-8

Don't sell yourself short! Your level is good AND being able to understand rules (which are fairly technically worded) DOES indicate a "way more than basic" ability level!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.