Subject: Games that really need a custom insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dragon
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have gotten into making foam core inserts for some of our games. We've made them for Deaf of Winter and Kraftwagen, which both sorely benefit from shorter set up and clean up time. We also borrowed a friend's copy of Caverna with the Broken Token insert, which probably shaves off an hour over baggies. This got me thinking, which games do you all think desperately need a custom box insert? Do these games come with any type of insert, or is it just an empty box with a few bags?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads & Boats and the & Cetera expansion have a bazillion pieces (I counted them . . . there are actually a bazillion pieces). I store them in Plano boxes, but a custom insert for the gigantic box the base game comes in would have been delightful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done a few, Dominion, Dead of Winter, Betrayal at House on the Hill and King of Tokyo.

King of Tokyo doesn't really need one, but I wanted something simple to practice on, and that would include the expansion as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleCON: Devastation of Indines and anything made by Fantasy Flight Games especially Descent: Journeys in the Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Pifer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Cosmic Encounter, especially if you have expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Rebellion
Eldritch Horror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only made 3 foamcore inserts so far. I have felt that they were all necessary for similar reasons, but hey I will list them here.

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization - my first insert. I got the upgrade kit for little clear cubes, and they didn't all fit in the box with the default insert. I made a really simple foamcore one and it all fits now.

Codenames - There are just enough cards to not fit nicely into one baggie, so I made a tray thing. Lots of room for expansions (if they make some), but also nice is a way to keep easy track of which cards we have already used in a session.

Ginkgopolis with expansion - This was my biggest one. The many types of tiles and cards with the expansion made this a bit fiddly. So I made trays for everything so it is almost fully setup (for how I usually play) at all times.

My next one is the Kingdom Builder Big Box. The insert there is close to terrible, but also the weight of the boards is significant. I am hoping to be able to cushion them nicely so that they won't damage the big box. That and sorting the types of tokens will be amazing compared to pulling them out and sorting them each time i play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first foam core will be layers for my Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar game.

The gears present a unique issue.

I am planning on foam core sheets with holes in the right spot so all the board pieces with gears can stack flat in the box. They are pretty unruly as they are with a lot of shifting in transit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't bring myself to set up a game of Forge War until I had built an insert for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Brew Crafters soooo many cardboard chits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead of Winter
SW Rebellion
Scythe
Imperial Assault

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nauticus has a lot of chits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the latest version of Dungeon! to play with the kids (red dot at B&N, 50% off plus 20% off coupon and member discount, woot!).

The insert is an atrocity. Just a cardboard "shelf" with a hole in it.

Pete (is already making a custom one to hold the 15 different stacks of cards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wyman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eclipse for sure is one that benefits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clash of Cultures with Clash of Cultures: Civilizations.

The thing that frustrates me most with insert companies is the amount of overlap. They all seem to make inserts for the same games. Dead of Winter, Blood Rage, Suburbia. I wish they'd branch out a little more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of people mentioning games that have third party insert availability but what about Eldritch Horror and Descent? My god when those come out at game night they are horrible to.set up.and tear down.

Posted via phone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowless11 wrote:

The thing that frustrates me most with insert companies is the amount of overlap. They all seem to make inserts for the same games. Dead of Winter, Blood Rage, Suburbia. I wish they'd branch out a little more.

I totally agree, I think only one company even offers something for Small World. Speaking of which, add that to the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game from Fantasy Flight Games. Great games, lots of components, no insert whatsoever (unless you call the generic piece of carton inside an insert).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I bought the latest version of Dungeon! to play with the kids (red dot at B&N, 50% off plus 20% off coupon and member discount, woot!).

The insert is an atrocity. Just a cardboard "shelf" with a hole in it.

Pete (is already making a custom one to hold the 15 different stacks of cards)
Couldn't take it any more:

Pete (just couldn't stand opening the game and finding a jumble of cards everywhere)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the point of inserts when plastic bags exist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think FFG games are prominent among those. I wouldn't want to play Imperial Assault, Descent or Arkham Horror with bagged components, though Plano boxes are usually more than sufficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dragon
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
Snowless11 wrote:

I totally agree, I think only one company even offers something for Small World. Speaking of which, add that to the list.

Agreed. I wonder if there is an Etsy market for foam core inserts for those other games. But shipping it would be terrible. Either assembly required (so you would just be a cutting service), or the customer would have to ship the game out to you to ship it back with the insert. It's a half-thought-out idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Games that I've made foamcore inserts for:

7 Wonders - The original plastic insert was no good and with expansions needed foamcore to fit everything in the original box.

King of Tokyo - Another poorly made plastic insert. I needed to make a new insert to fit the expansions.

Caverna: The Cave Farmers - Needs an insert to maintain sanity. I used foamcore for the cardboard and a plano for the bits.

Games that desperately need foamcore inserts:

Five Tribes - Another terrible plastic insert. Needs a properly designed foamcore to keep the tiles and bits from moving around. Also the expansion doesn't fit in the original insert.

Takenoko - Another terrible plastic insert. Needs a properly designed foamcore to keep the tiles and bits from moving around.

Steampunk Rally - This has a tolerable cardboard insert but isn't really sufficient. I'm waiting for the expansion before making an insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
igelkott255 wrote:

Takenoko - Another terrible plastic insert. Needs a properly designed foamcore to keep the tiles and bits from moving around.

Remember that with a lot of the plastic inserts you need to put the empty punch board under them to raise them to the correct height. If you do that you can shake Takenoko any way you want and nothing will be out of place at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
What's the point of inserts when plastic bags exist?

Plastic bags don't solve all storage issues.

How will plastic bags help multiple board pieced with different sized gears attached?

I agree they solve most of my storage issues well enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.