Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: First Solo Attempts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nonoyo Bidniss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've just got Marvel Legendary and I'm playing the standard back-of-the-rulebook-in-the-core-set solo rules, but I've run into a few questions. I'm aware of other variants but I thought I'd use the standard version first, just to get an idea of how the game is "supposed" to work, as was originally designed, before trying variants.

I've played four times this afternoon: first two times I restarted due to egregious rules errors on my part. The second two games ended with the Villain Deck running out, resulting in (I believe) a "draw".

I'm playing the Midtown Bank Robbery scheme with Dr Doom as the Mastermind.

Heroes are Storm, Black Widow, and Hawkeye.

As I understand it, I'm supposed to put the following cards into the villain deck:

1 Villain Group (I used Hydra) - 8 Cards
3 Henchmen Cards (I used Hand Ninjas) - 3 Cards
1 Bystander
1 Master Strike
8 Scheme Twists (as per the Scheme card)

This makes for a Villain Deck of just 21 cards. Am I misunderstanding the solo rules? The reason I ask is that it seems deadly hard to get anywhere near enough Fight in your hand to go for the Mastermind. On my second proper go I managed to defeat Dr Doom's third tactic card on the same turn as getting the last Villain Deck card out onto the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Advanced Solo mode that comes in Dark City. You can find the rules here:

http://www.upperdeck.com/OP/RuleBooks/Legendary_Rules-Dark_C...

It won't solve the problem you have however..if there's one problem i have against solo Legendary is that with a couple of noticeable exceptions (schemes that add 1 villain group, a henchman group, the cards of a hero or bystanders to the villain deck), it feels really rushed. you barely manage to build a solid deck and the game is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's one of the biggest challenges I find with playing this game solo: the deck is so small and the number of Twists and Strikes make up an inordinately high percentage.

As you mentioned, you're starting with the Basic solo rules and yes, you set it up correctly. It's a buggar.

You'll find there are two other solo versions folks use on here: the official Advanced solo rules from Dark City and the fan-created Golden Solo. If you get into any of the league play on here (I highly recommend it!) you'll want to familiarize yourself with Advanced solo rules since that's what the leagues use.

Some folks on here have found ways to master the solo game, often winning in like 12-14 rounds! Not this guy though....if/when I win, I use most or all of the rounds available. It's quite tough when Strikes and Twists literally make up 50% of the deck (give or take depending on the Scheme).

Welcome to a great game though!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're having trouble here because you've only got 1 bystander in the villain deck. You're supposed to have more for this scheme. Most schemes don't play another villain card after a twist, this one does. You've only got like 12 turns the way you have it set up, but most games should allow for about 20. Midtown bank robbery is on the easy side because it gives you extra turns.

Scheme set-up rules always over-ride normal set-up rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
Scheme set-up rules always over-ride normal set-up rules.

Good catch! I actually didn't look at the specific detail, I just looked at the deck from a "generic" set-up POV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nonoyo Bidniss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the pointers: now playing Advanced Solo version properly and it's my new most favourite game ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMark wrote:
Thanks for all the pointers: now playing Advanced Solo version properly and it's my new most favourite game ever.

Wait til you start playing with Customs. That's a rabbit hole you'll never get out of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.