Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this question is for those who've played previous editions, or from the designer/publisher.

I notice that the game length is 120-360 minutes, and that there are scenarios ranging from 5-25 turns.

1. Is the full campaign playable in 360 minutes?

2. Are the shorter scenarios playable in 120 minutes?

3. And while we're at it, I know all the modifications and updates for this edition are not yet known, but how do you think this one stacks up to other modern East Front games?

Thanks for your help. I have had this game on my peripheral vision for a while, and with the new edition impending, I am looking into it into some more depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gregorio
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
1. Even if each player only took 15 minutes a turn, we're looking at 12+ hours for a game that goes the full 25 turns. I'm assuming non-solitaire play and the 15 minutes includes combat resolution.
2. The shortest scenario is the five turn scenario; in tourney play that's about 3.5 hours.
3. Depends on what 'modern' East Front games you're referring to, Stephen, and what you mean by "stacks up". If you're focused on duration, TRC will take longer than something like "No Retreat" but shorter than "Russia Besieged", "Russian Front", "The Dark Valley", or "Proud Monster".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I will update the game page so the durations are more in line with what Tom stated above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt after many games that the first five turns, 10 months, were a bore to play through when trying to establish a 'practical template' for studying strategy for Turns after Turn Five, or 4,or 3...
I felt recorded "sessions" in distinction to Scenarios might be useful.
(... a screen shot of a given Turn which would amount to a non-historical set-up reflecting "typical" game play)
Certainly, a Tournament screen shot would be different from a Campaign screen shot. Nyuck, nyuck!
And here we are, a thousand years later, and Turn-Dated screen shots are as scarce as ever.

AH Stalingrad '63/'74 has 25 Turns.
I have found leaving the board set up, in play, over days and weeks the only way to get 'deep' into the 25 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gregorio
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just a few comments:
* Turn-dated screen shots are indeed scarce - have you looked at the replays on CSW? I have done a few replays, see "http://trc_grudge_match.tripod.com/" for example. (Very old but does reflect TRC4 rules and a match between experienced players.)

* There are organized events that feature the full Campaign - the TRC Ladder comes to mind. It's been running continuously for 30+ years so there are alot of folks, including myself, that have tons of experience with the long game. For face to face events, a campaign is just not feasible and experience has shown that trying for a 42 or later scenario start is not well received by participants.

* If you want to actually have a realistic starting position to analyze 1942 and later game strategies, I recommend you post on CSW and solicit the vets. I would say that < 10% of games actually feature 'balanced' positions going into that second summer. This can be ascribed to lopsided weather, unequal player experience, and simple combat luck, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
Gosh, things really fall apart for the German.
Gotta think about that!

A symptom of a "very old" site?
Clicking the maps elicited prompts to download another media player, but the maps would show up on refusal most of the time.
Eventually I submitted, but the download wouldn't take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.