$30.00
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://lasvegassun.com/news/2016/sep/29/nevada-supreme-court...

Essentially the court ruled that the concept is constitutional, but that they need a separate funding source than the public school fund.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
Seems a really good solution on first glance;

People get their voucher options without beggaring the schools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The public schools will still ultimately get screwed. It's like when they say they're going to use lottery revenue to fund education. Schools don't suddenly get a windfall, they just move the money around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Erik17 wrote:
The public schools will still ultimately get screwed. It's like when they say they're going to use lottery revenue to fund education. Schools don't suddenly get a windfall, they just move the money around.

http://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2015/cb15-98.h...

At $10,700 per student, the first people screwed are the students getting an inadequate education, taxpayers are the second ones getting screwed.

The schools are getting screwed in much the same way the mafia gets screwed when people fight back against extortion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
Part of me wonders why old-fashioned private schools aren't good enough anymore. Most of the religious ones (and that's often a factor for people wanting to go this route) have pretty good financial aid, especially within the Catholic system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
windsagio wrote:
Part of me wonders why old-fashioned private schools aren't good enough anymore. Most of the religious ones (and that's often a factor for people wanting to go this route) have pretty good financial aid, especially within the Catholic system.

You can stand anywhere in this borough , throw a rock and you will hit a private school.

This area is an extreme example because of free market forces not in play elsewhere, but it cost about $300/month/kid to send our kids. The Catholic system was more, but they field sports teams and such. (Sports teams that do pretty darn well against the public schools, I might add.)

A private education is not exactly out of reach for poor families if markets are allowed to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
windsagio wrote:

You can stand anywhere in this borough , throw a rock and you will hit a private school.

This area is an extreme example because of free market forces not in play elsewhere, but it cost about $300/month/kid to send our kids. The Catholic system was more, but they field sports teams and such. (Sports teams that do pretty darn well against the public schools, I might add.)

A private education is not exactly out of reach for poor families if markets are allowed to work.

We're agreeing seems like - and yet vouchers are required for people (presumably because they want more for their kids but don't want to pay for it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
windsagio wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
windsagio wrote:

We're agreeing seems like - and yet vouchers are required for people (presumably because they want more for their kids but don't want to pay for it)

I think we do agree, but vouchers assumes education is artificially high because of regulations, mandatory teacher's unions and such. Free markets work.

Plus, you are right. There is the democrat hand-out mentality in much of this country. There is also the democrat "parents are incompetent education is the role of government" mentality in much of the country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Well, out where I live, there are maybe 4 private schools within a 50-mile radius. Even up in OKC, there are far fewer private schools than one might expect.

The big issue is attendance. If private schools are the only option, are people required to spend money for their children to attend school? If it's private, then the state cannot require students to attend a set number of years or meet certain requirements for graduation.

And as the brother and father of teachers, plus years of experience, let me tell you the biggest factor, the one that eclipses all others, in the failure of public education:

Worthless parents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.