12 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Story Card: Covered in Mud rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
For your consideration, I offer another Story Card for Firefly: The Game. It is called "Covered in Mud." Success requires a balanced crew, getting Solid with at least a couple Contacts, and traveling the vastness of The Verse.

The support of Bill and George were helpful in pulling this together. My thanks once again gentlemen!

Please give it a try. Your comments and feedback are appreciated. Keep Flying and stay Covered in Mud...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way the Solids are mostly optional - one of the things I dislike about "story" cards is that they're often very fixed in how you go about things, but all you actually need here is $6,000 and a Solid with Lord Harrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
And Solid with Magistrate Higgins...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
True. Even so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why all the warrants? It doesn't appear that anything illegal is going on (other than perhaps some kidnapping at the end).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Story wise there are plenty of explanations. Who's to say the Tech skill with goal 1 doesn't involve penetrating personal or Alliance databases, clearly illegal. Goal 2 involves misbehaving and convincing F&M to come clean, who's to say this doesn't include threats and arm twisting, also illegal. And goal 3, well you already covered it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With respect to Solids, I'm a fan of how its handled here in two ways.

First, some of the Solids are encouraged but not forced. With a sufficiently tough crew and/or lucky rolls, you can dispense with a few of the recommendations.

Second, used carefully, a few requires Solids can help flavor the story - and give specific contacts the spotlight. The combination of Higgins/Harrow is a different feel than Patience/Mister Universe or Badger/Harken (from Patience's War and Jail Break, respectively).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea, I like the story an "episode" feel to it.

I wonder, though, in regards to balance, wouldn't players with either the Interceptor or even Jetwash have a possibly significant advantage over other players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In what way Steve? I don't see them being any more or less capable than any other story card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Debler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Cool Story Card! I like that it covers the Rim Space expansions so well.

Personally, I'd up the difficulty of the rolls by 2 each to add more emphasis on the value of the Solid ... but that may just be personal taste.

I also think it could be an interesting twist to require an increasing number of jobs done with Higgins as part of each goal, like you have to prove yourself more and more to deal with the increasing challenges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Increasing the target numbers would make the game extremely difficult (IMO). The existing numbers are not easy and require a degree of buildup/preparation already; therefore encouraging Solid status in their own right. Keep in mind the story requires the Crew to balance their needs among all 3 skill types. If you give it a try, let us know how it goes with/without increasing the numbers.

Thanks for the feedback Brian! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Debler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Will do Ashitaka!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.