BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: How can one person review so many games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Vissers
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I've noticed that certain reviewers have posted comments on literally hundreds of games. How does such a person find the time, money, other players and access to the games themselves to do this? I have no problem with the quality of these reviews, as they are thoughtfully written and very useful. Their sheer volume just makes me want to know about the logistics of the whole thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaky Ulnas
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Yet feet that wandering have gone
badge
Turn at last to home afar
mbmb
I had a bird's eye view observing one such mass-reviewer and it didn't actually seem like too much trouble. This reviewer received new games from various publishers quite regularly, so there was always something new to play. He would read up on the rules during his spare time, then pull out one or two new games every time we played. He had at least three opportunities per week to try out these games with different groups of people. After he felt he had experienced the game for what it was he would write up the review and post it online. This was his regular routine (for a few years now) and it all seemed to work like a well oiled machine.

Personally, I have to go to some trouble getting people together to play. Then I have to psyche myself up to learn each new game I get - so I probably would have to invest a lot more energy into the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
JayVissers wrote:
I've noticed that certain reviewers have posted comments on literally hundreds of games. How does such a person find the time, money, other players and access to the games themselves to do this? I have no problem with the quality of these reviews, as they are thoughtfully written and very useful. Their sheer volume just makes me want to know about the logistics of the whole thing.

It all depends upon how much time one wants to spend, and the standards one applies for writing reviews.

If one insists on playing a game 10 times before writing a review, one's output will clearly be limited. Further, using a standard format (such as Tom Vasel does) allows for more output than varying one's style, or than including such items as strategic analysis. Being willing to review games that weren't enjoyed also increases the possibilities, of course.

I won't review a game I didn't like reasonably well, and prefer to include statistics and strategic analysis when applicable. Even so, I suspect I could write a review a week on average with no great difficulty; there are over 900 games I've played three or more times since I started recording my plays, whcih is more than enough material to keep up a 1/week pace. I just don't have enough interest in writing reviews - and I don't see the reason for it - to justify more than a few a year. And there are plenty of folks who play more games and have greater writing ability than I do, but write no more reviews than I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:

I want to keep giving this thumbs up, but I'm not allowed to... Only one thumb....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One game a week, for 5 years gives you literally hundreds of games reviewed. Does not seem too difficult to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Vissers
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies. To be honest, I guess I'm a little envious of the people who have a group that meets regularly enough just to play all these games that they review. All my acquaintances have been "devoured" at the same time by that great cause of forgetting one's friends, the New Baby. But that's another topic entirely ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.