Subject: Painting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(accidentally added this to MoM 1:ed forum, now moved here)

After a long pause from painting MoM (mainly due to Descent and Zombicide taking its toll), I have just started to paint the second edition monsters.
I would love to see what others have come up with and in particular your reason for why you painted them in a certain way.

Haunting Horror
According to the source I've found they are supposed to be black, ropy and with leathery wings. Their cards show them as a bit gray with red eyes.
I decided to let them be very dark, and then use a light drybrush of silver-metal on the highlighted parts of the body together with glossy varnish to give the body an oily feeling. I used a matt varnish (with anti-shine on top) on the wingspans to give them more of a dry look.
All in all, I'm quite happy with how they turned out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My 1e minis are based on the literary descriptions (e.g. my Shoggoths are black), but the second edition ones I'm going by others that have inspired me. I've only just started the Star Spawns, which are a mix of browns, greens and metallics. I'll add a picture here when I have one finished and photographed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
William Yorick
I would say the Elder Sign artwork looks more like the miniature than the other ones I've found so far, so gonna go with that kind of wind-jacket instead of what looks more like a suede-jacket in the MoM (and Eldritch Horror).

MoM 2:ed:
http://jakemurray.deviantart.com/art/William-Yorick-62710473...

Elder signs:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Delaney
United States
Friendswood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morphie wrote:
(accidentally added this to MoM 1:ed forum, now moved here)

After a long pause from painting MoM (mainly due to Descent and Zombicide taking its toll), I have just started to paint the second edition monsters.
I would love to see what others have come up with and in particular your reason for why you painted them in a certain way.

Haunting Horror
According to the source I've found they are supposed to be black, ropy and with leathery wings. Their cards show them as a bit gray with red eyes.
I decided to let them be very dark, and then use a light drybrush of silver-metal on the highlighted parts of the body together with glossy varnish to give the body an oily feeling. I used a matt varnish (with anti-shine on top) on the wingspans to give them more of a dry look.
All in all, I'm quite happy with how they turned out.

I like how those turned out. I've been trying to come up with a scheme for mine and I think you've about nailed it. The glass / semigloss varnish makes them look appropriately slimy as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WonderSlug wrote:

I like how those turned out. I've been trying to come up with a scheme for mine and I think you've about nailed it. The glass / semigloss varnish makes them look appropriately slimy as well.

Thank you
Can't wait to see what you've got cooking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost
Haven't found much (Lovecraft specific) lore on these so went with a dull green sheen on the ghost itself and a blue tint on the chain. Not sure if that was the right decision but I think it adds some variation to what would otherwize be a quite flat color scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barks
Australia
Armidale
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've put my investigators here and my monsters here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick DP
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First time painting, I Didn't do much research however I'm really interested in your choice of color palette, looking forward to your post, there is not much to find on google for the 2nd edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grünherz

Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
msg tools
mbmbmb
@Nick: Nice Job, well done on the highlights.
@Barks: Top notch work mate!

I'm still in the middle of painting up my investigators and making only slow progress because I have only little time to paint, but here's one of them: http://imgur.com/a/OAgap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starspawn
The token seems to describe it as allg-green with black eyes... I felt a need to have more fun with this one though
Started out with green the made the tentacles more grey to be more "fishy".
In the vein-spots I added some yellow glace and painted the veins outerwordly gold.
High gloss on the tentacles and vein-spots, satin varnish on the body and finslly matt varnish on the rotten-avocado wings.
Quite pleased but pondering a bit more grey highlights on the fishy parts..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick DP
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A few more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Priest of Dagon
I failed to paint a fish-scale-like-pattern on his robe, but managed to make his hat more fish-like, like I think Dagon priests should have.
Not 100% pleased with this one, but it will have to do.

and the fish-hat from above:

Yes, the staff was straighetened out too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barks
Australia
Armidale
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That patterned robe is a great touch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crawling One

From forbidden alchemy. The mini is supposed to give an impression of wriggling maggots.. So I did not make claws or yaws but let it stay flesh-like. I gave it two coats of shiny coats to be "intestine"-looking.

The source is "The Festival" http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/f.aspx

Quote:
"For it is of old rumour that the soul of the devil-bought hastes not from his charnel clay, but fats and instructs the very worm that gnaws; till out of corruption horrid life springs, and the dull scavengers of earth wax crafty to vex it and swell monstrous to plague it. Great holes secretly are digged where earth’s pores ought to suffice, and things have learnt to walk that ought to crawl."

The Mom Wiki (http://mansionsofmadness.wikia.com/wiki/Crawling_One) has this image:

One quote from MoM:
Quote:
"The writhing mass of shambling flesh embraces you"

FFG has it like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.