Hide
17 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Variants

Subject: game setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david wood
msg tools
Is there a game setup that would be little more balanced (give the rebellion a fighting chance)? A user made setup that would involve only 1 Death Star with no ability to build more. I never recalled seeing more than 1 at a time in any of the movies. The ability to have 2 is just wrong. I am just looking for a game setup that would not break the game mechanics but would start the rebels in a slightly better position (start way too weak). Any suggestions / setups would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
dwood9999 wrote:
Is there a game setup that would be little more balanced (give the rebellion a fighting chance)? A user made setup that would involve only 1 Death Star with no ability to build more. I never recalled seeing more than 1 at a time in any of the movies. The ability to have 2 is just wrong. I am just looking for a game setup that would not break the game mechanics but would start the rebels in a slightly better position (start way too weak). Any suggestions / setups would be appreciated. Thanks.

No one really agrees with your underlying premise that the rebels have no chance and the death stars are broken.

So no one has made this variant yet.

There is probably a lot of strategy advice in the forums that might help you do better with the rebels and avoid the need for such a variant, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
David what are you looking for?
more space battles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
dwood9999 wrote:
Is there a game setup that would be little more balanced (give the rebellion a fighting chance)? A user made setup that would involve only 1 Death Star with no ability to build more. I never recalled seeing more than 1 at a time in any of the movies.

I think it's almost certain that the second Death Star's construction was probably begun while the first one was still around, even if in it's beginning stages. The only reason there weren't two at a time is because the first one got destroyed.

Game-wise, having 2 Death Stars can be just as much a liability for the Empire in this game as it can be a benefit - it gives the Rebels TWO opportunities or options for getting the Death Star Plans objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david wood
msg tools
I am looking for a starting game setup that gives the rebels more balance. An example would be starting with a shield generator and/or ion cannon on the hidden base space. One other thing - 1 Corvette - REALLY??. I know the rebels were outnumbered and outgunned but 1 capital ship at the start. Could be slightly more balanced instaed of extremely one sided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
There are a bunch of ways the Rebels could be given a bid;

-an extra loyal system at the start
-extra leader to help oppose early captures or to provide opposition
-more units, or the possibility of further splitting units at the start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If your rebel players are struggling I would go with an extra loyal system of their choice. Or perhaps a few extra ships at the start. Double the rebel starting fleet and see how it works out for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stuuk wrote:
If your rebel players are struggling I would go with an extra loyal system of their choice. Or perhaps a few extra ships at the start. Double the rebel starting fleet and see how it works out for you.

As the rebels you should be gainig loyalty every turn, turn 1, it should be on Utapu: which would give you 2 capital ships pretty quickly.

Look at the other threads, the game is balanced, they will help you with strategy.

If you have a first time player i would understand giving them a handicap, but not if you are both equally experienced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Rodgers
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Use Team rules, they favor Rebels. They now get first and last action which significantly boosts Sabotage(already a strong card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't change setup. The game is well balanced, and once you and your opponents start getting better with the Rebels, you'll just have the opposite problem.

Or giving the Rebels extra power will prevent you from learning how to play them as designed. Your comment about the Corvette make it sound like you want to go toe-to-toe with the Empire, but that isn't really how this game is designed to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
stuuk wrote:

HELL no.

Instead of breaking the game by making the rebels ridiculously OP have you considered instead attempting to git gud you filthy casuals? I think it would be a better solution than those suggested by most people on this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
Based on the lengthy debate about the value of the Start the Evacuation action card perhaps the Rebel player could be given arguably two of the best starting action cards, Temporary Alliance and Rebel Planning. It gives the Rebel player a quick fleet (combined with Build Alliance at Utupau) and a chance to dig into Tier 2 if he/she does not get the hang of Infiltrate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
stuuk wrote:

HELL no.

Instead of breaking the game by making the rebels ridiculously OP have you considered instead attempting to git gud you filthy casuals? I think it would be a better solution than those suggested by most people on this thread.

I don't think either of these would break the game, certainly not if it's an experienced Imperial versus a green rebel. The imperial would simply crush their free holding within the first three moves of the game..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
stuuk wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:
stuuk wrote:

HELL no.

I don't think either of these would break the game, certainly not if it's an experienced Imperial versus a green rebel. The imperial would simply crush their free holding within the first three moves of the game..

If it requires skill imbalance to make the new system work then that is by definition a broken system.

If you're wanting to imbalance the game a far more reasonable approach would be to just give the rebels a different starting reputation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Possibly yes, but that doesn't address the original concern of rebels being too weak, which i presume related to their small space fleet.

I have no issue with the game personally, but I do believe that I could beat a green Rebel player with double the starting kit without too much trouble, after all a green player will likely get their fleet killed rather quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all I usually suggest new players play as the empire, the strategy is more straight forward

Second, a good handicap for new players is giving them an extra leader 3 or so turns.
That balances the fact that new players tend to "waste" actions to start the game.

Giving them an extra leader for the whole game is a little too much in my opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
stuuk wrote:
Possibly yes, but that doesn't address the original concern of rebels being too weak, which i presume related to their small space fleet.

I have no issue with the game personally, but I do believe that I could beat a green Rebel player with double the starting kit without too much trouble, after all a green player will likely get their fleet killed rather quickly.

That's the case with literally any game. Though anyone who's a fan of Star Wars knows to protect their fleet out of the gate and only do hit and run tactics as the rebels.

The problem is you're seeing this as a wargame. Where two equally powered sides throw units at each other trying to control territory. Which this game isn't. There is a small element of that, but only in rare circumstances.

The empire is SUPPOSED to have a fleet three times larger than the rebels. The empire is SUPPOSED to have twice their territory. Because the rebels are playing a different game. A game to win the hearts and minds of the people.

The core gameplay revolves around the Empire being wickedly OP in the military dimension.

Problem is the empire has to spread out to find the rebel base and that makes them weak to that rebel fleet in a single region. The rebels couldn't and shouldn't try to win everywhere. All they need to do is win in one area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.