Java» Forums » Rules

Subject: Different english and german rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sandro Gia
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mb
I compared the English rules with the German rules, and I found a part in the rules, that are different. On Page 8 about the conditions when you can arrange a palace festival,

the English rules say:

To arrange a festival, he must have at least one developer in the city and have at least one suitable palace card.

But the German rules say:

Er muss dazu weder den entsprechenden Palast errichtet haben noch auf der höchsten Ebene in dieser Stadt stehen.

Translated into English it says: He needs to not have built the corresponding palace, and not stand at the highest level in this city.

This German rule is also in the French, Italian and Netherlands rule. I think this is the correct one.

Did anybody play it with this rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Not sure how those conflict:

1. "To arrange a festival, he must have at least one developer in the city and have at least one suitable palace card."

2. "He needs to not have built the corresponding palace, and not stand at the highest level in this city."

IF you have NO developer in the city OR NO suitable palace card, you can't participate in the specific festival. BUT, multiple people can participate and to participate doesn't mean being on the highest level. AND, the person who most recently "built" the palace, the current player, arranges the festival.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandro Gia
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mb
MPMelanchthon wrote:

1. "To arrange a festival, he must have at least one developer in the city and have at least one suitable palace card."

2. "He needs to not have built the corresponding palace, and not stand at the highest level in this city."

There is no conflict between those two rules. The rule (2) just does not exist in the english rules.

Some sentence later, the english AND the german rule say:

The following rules apply to the players who join the festival (including the player who arranged it):
The players who wish to join the festival must have at least one suitable palace card and at least one developer in the city where the palace festival is being held.

I see here that the rule (1) is also written in the german rule because of the sentence in the bracket (including the player who arranged it).

I conclude that the english rule just omit the very important rule (2).

If a player wants to arrange a palace festival, the following conditions have to be fulfilled:
- at least one of his developers has to be in this city
- he must have at least one suitable card
- his developers should not stand on the highest level in this city
- he should not have built or upgraded the palace in this city before in the same turn

The other players who want to join, dont have to fulfill the last two points.

This is what the german rules say in my opinion. We know that the rules are written a little bit difficult, but this is what I understand. Does anybody play it like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Only the current player may initiate a festival. Others may participate. It is optional for the current player:

"At the end of a player's turn, he may arrange a palace festival in one city of his choice."

But, I wonder if your translation of the German is accurate. It makes no sense to build up a big city during your turn and have your developer on the highest level and then not be able to conduct a palace festival there. IF this were the case, that would make no gaming sense whatsoever. You could only hold a festival somewhere else, where at the end of your turn your developer was not the highest.

If your translation of the German is accurate, then the English rule is certainly far superior as regards the mechanic of the game. The goal is to build the biggest cities, control them, and score palace festival points from the

A part of me wonders if there isn't some sort of double negative in the German, which means you can hold a palace festival where you have the highest developer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandro Gia
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mb
Sandrgia wrote:

If a player wants to arrange a palace festival, the following conditions have to be fulfilled:
- at least one of his developers has to be in this city
- he must have at least one suitable card
- his developers should not stand on the highest level in this city
- he should not have built or upgraded the palace in this city before in the same turn

I didn't mean with the second last condition that your developer shouldn't be the highest. This condition is independent to the other developers. It just says, that the developer shouldn't be on the highest level of the city, you don't compare it to other developers.

For example: A city has 3 levels, the highest, the middle and the lowest level. You have your developer in the middle level, someone else has his developer on the lowest(!) level. You are allowed to arrange a festival in the palace in this city if you have a suitable palace card and didn't build the palace in this city before.

If you don't play with this rule, it could happen the following:
For 1 AP, You build a palace with value 6 with your developer and you score 3 points, because your developer is the highest, compared to the other developers in this city.
Next, you arrange a palace festival in the same palace that you just built, discard a suitable palace card (nobody participates), score again 3 points and end your turn.

This example needs only 1 AP and you scored twice the same palace (by building it and arranging a palace festival). This can happen a lot in a game.

The german rules prevents that you score the same palace twice in one turn. The Italian, French and Netherlands rule are the same as the german rules. I think the English version just simplified the german rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Though you are making the assumption about no one else participating in the palace festival. Another person could. And could claim it if they have the right cards. Or they could share it.

In a 4-plyr game the players have to be very careful. Husbanding their cards for the best palace festivals. In order to prevent one player from doing what you describe.

But what you describe makes all the sense in the world. Build the biggest and the best. Hold and win the palace festival. Collect the VPs. All to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Pfefferle
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Sandrgia wrote:

The german rules prevents that you score the same palace twice in one turn. The Italian, French and Netherlands rule are the same as the german rules. I think the English version just simplified the german rules.

As a native German speaker I have to correct you on that.

Er muss dazu weder den entsprechenden Palast errichtet haben noch auf der höchsten Ebene in dieser Stadt stehen.

literally translates into

He neither has to have build that palace nor has to stand on the highest level of its city.

Which means that you actually can build/upgrade a palace AND have a festival in it on the same turn. This rule is simply a clarification of the fact that you don't have to be the one who has built it or control its city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandro Gia
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mb
Ah, now I unterstand, I was wrong. Thank You for the clarification. I am also a native German Speaker and I unterstood it wrong. The rules are really difficult to understand, but the game is not so complicated as expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim V
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
The rules are really difficult to understand, but the game is not so complicated as expected.

I played it for the first time yesterday...you're so right...the rules are so complicated, but the gameplay isnt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.