14 Posts

Evolution: Climate» Forums » Rules

Subject: Nocturnal carnivore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Evolution: Climate for the first time tonight with 6 players, and enjoyed it a lot!

One question though: can a carnivore be nocturnal? If so, where does the food that he gets before every feeding phase come from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the p16 Reference Section regarding Nocturnal it states...

Quote:
Before each of your feeding turns, this species may take a free feeding action if there are no Carnivores in play that could eat it.

This would mean that your Nocturnal Carnivore would eat as normal (another species) and get its food from the Food Bank after eating them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More importantly: you got your hands on a copy already?! Where? How? Inquiring minds want to know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter PnP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Official Answer:
rent13579 wrote:
According to the p16 Reference Section regarding Nocturnal it states...

Quote:
Before each of your feeding turns, this species may take a free feeding action if there are no Carnivores in play that could eat it.

This would mean that your Nocturnal Carnivore would eat as normal (another species) and get its food from the Food Bank after eating them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stark
United Kingdom
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone please explain to me this part: " if there are no Carnivores in play that could eat it."

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
A species with Nocturnal gets an extra night time feeding if it is safe from every Carnivore in play. Meaning, there are no Carnivores in play that could choose to attack the species with Nocturnal when it is their turn. Does that make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stark
United Kingdom
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And these Carnivores don't have to be nocturnal to prevent extra feeding or even attack. Just their presence and ability to attack do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zeus_pl wrote:
And these Carnivores don't have to be nocturnal to prevent extra feeding or even attack. Just their presence and ability to attack do that?

Oh, you mean explain how it works thematically! That's a harder question to answer. This is probably the one card that we took the most liberties with. It's just so much fun that we bent our normally very strict adherence to theme. I could spend 30 minutes explaining all of the exact reasons for landing in this place if I were old and retired. Unfortunately I've got too much on my plate to dive into that one right now. Maybe at a convention over a couple of beers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stark
United Kingdom
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No,no, no that would be my next question, as thematically it is quite hard to imagine. My previous question was just too make sure my understanding of rules is correct, isn't it?

PS: I studied biology and I just adore all the versions of Evolution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, the easy rules question. Ha! Yes, the presence of a dangerous Carnivore keeps your species from venturing out at night to get food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rent13579 wrote:

Quote:

I don't think I understand that answer at all. Wouldn't it be the following order of events:
* Your feeding turn starts
* You gain a free feeding action with your nocturnal carnivore.
* You gain a regular feeding action.

Where does the food from the food bank come in here at all? Also why would it be after the regular attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
rent13579 wrote:

Quote:

I don't think I understand that answer at all. Wouldn't it be the following order of events:
* Your feeding turn starts
* You gain a free feeding action with your nocturnal carnivore.
* You gain a regular feeding action.

Where does the food from the food bank come in here at all? Also why would it be after the regular attack?

The food from the Food Bank is the normal way to feed a Carnivore regardless of whether it was from the bonus Nocturnal attack or the regular feeding turn attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stark
United Kingdom
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a clarification. If you want to explain it thematically I would disagree. Carnivore in subject is nocturnal so hunting at night would be most safe and comfortable thing to do. It wouldn't skip it in favor of a daily hunt. Let's say other nocturnal carnivores wouldn't let it hunt as much at night so it feeds once. I don't know how to explain "normal" ones though...maybe they will hunt it at day and this is why it needs to spend more time resting at night and less at hunting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.