Robert Derderian
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
The rules are fairly clear on damage targeting, but what is the rule for an island attack by the Japanese?

For Naval bombardment - infantry or airfields?
For infantry - infantry or airfield?
For air units - airfield, infantry?

Also, can aircraft dogfight in the dogfight phase and then do a ground or naval attack later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Am not sure exactly what you're asking. I believe the rules you're asking about are on page 18. If you can be more specific, we can better target a reply.

But in general, you're always going to allocate your hits to the lowest cost target. So if you're asking, "Do I target the infantry or the airfield?", the choice will be made for you depending on what cost value each of those targets is. If multiple targets have the same cost value, you choose which takes the hit.

Ref: Pgs 16-18

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Derderian
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
Ok I reread that section and yes you choose lowest cost unit first. So airfield hits will always be first? If so, all units attacking including infantry will cause damage to the airfield first unless there is a 1 cost infantry unit.

What about my other question about dogfighting? Can a dogfighting unit dogfight and then also attack in the bomber run phase? I think they can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rderderian wrote:
What about my other question about dogfighting? Can a dogfighting unit dogfight and then also attack in the bomber run phase? I think they can.

My take is "yes". I base this on the definitions of terms used in the rules around pgs 16-17. "Bomber" is an aircraft with a Bomb value and may or may not have a Dogfight value. "Fighter" is an aircraft with ONLY a Dogfight value.

DVG rules are very... "particular"... in their use of terms. In the Dogfight section on page 17, it specifically says dogfights involve any "AIRCRAFT" (a general term that would include both Bomber Fighter) with a Dogfight rating.

Quoting:
"Whenever both sides have Aircraft in an Area and at least
one Aircraft has a Dogfight rating, roll for their Dogfight
Attacks."

Since there is no rule preventing it, Bombers with a Dogfight rating can be used in both the Dogfight and Bomb Run segments.

Seems a little counter-intuitive to me, but I don't see anything specifically against it.

EDIT - added clarification around my AIRCRAFT statement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars W
msg tools
mbmb
Agree here, air units can do both as:

- The counter represents several air units; some fighters and some Fighter-Bombers/ ground attack aircraft.

- The "Battle" actually takes pace during a turn representing two months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.