Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've had my eye on this for a while, but the seemingly endless add-ons really pushed me away.

So what's the deal? Is the base game alone worth it? How is it with 2, and how long is it (with 2)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can answer one of them: the base game is MORE than enough. The extras are just that, extras.

Regarding the 2 player gameplay: never played it that way but I can't imagine it would be as fun as with 3 or specially 4 players. The area control and specially the card drafting must definitely suffer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
I can answer one of them: the base game is MORE than enough. The extras are just that, extras.

Regarding the 2 player gameplay: never played it that way but I can't imagine it would be as fun as with 3 or specially 4 players. The area control and specially the card drafting must definitely suffer.

We've been waiting to play with three because of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
I've had my eye on this for a while, but the seemingly endless add-ons really pushed me away.

So what's the deal? Is the base game alone worth it? How is it with 2, and how long is it (with 2)

Thanks!

Mine just got here today. Havent played yet, but Ive heard that with 2 experienced players that it works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ONLY played it with 2 players, as it happens, and each time was with a new player. It was a lot of fun all five times. I, too, look forward to playing it with 3 - 5 players but I am more than OK with just 2. Honestly, I wish there was a solo version, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Chabykin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
JohnnyR wrote:
Is the base game alone worth it? How is it with 2, and how long is it (with 2)

Get all the expansions, base game is good, but they just add so much fun and unexpected strategies and tactics - you wouldn't believe.

Do not play Blood Rage with two players - you will be disappointed. It's best with 4, even better with 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is more than enough to enjoy the game.
You won't miss out on any important stuff.

Habilis wrote:
I have ONLY played it with 2 players, as it happens, and each time was with a new player. It was a lot of fun all five times. I, too, look forward to playing it with 3 - 5 players but I am more than OK with just 2. Honestly, I wish there was a solo version, too.

I played the 1st 10 games with 2 players. I think it's enjoyable enough.

More players is more fun, though. Other tactics become viable and you also get to use more different cards and monsters (for 3+ and 4+). I would recommend 3-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Time For Games
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 4 games so far with 2. It works amazingly well. I also only have the base game so I can't comment on the rest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have only played the base game with a couple of the expansion figures, and only in two player mode, and found it perfectly enjoyable. I can under stand the added interest of 3 or more players, but two worked fine for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Stegmiller
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The base game is completely worth it. I want the three expansions, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not having them.

The two player game is also worth it, but if you're getting this game for that player count alone, I'd say there are better options (Seasons).

The two player game feels like a CCG/LCG. It feels a lot like Doomtown: Reloaded. Every move has significance. Each player tiptoes around each other, trying to set up their cards and their moves until...someone decides to pillage.

I'd say the two player game runs about an hour--maybe a little more.

In the end, I was surprised how enjoyable the 2 player experience is. 4 players is the best, but 2 is definitely a valid option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitaj wrote:
I played 4 games so far with 2. It works amazingly well. I also only have the base game so I can't comment on the rest

It does scale really well. I get the impression people who say 2 players is bad have never actually tried 2 players and just repeat what another person said who is just repeating another person. 2 player is less battle heavy, but it is very strategic going head to head rather than having big free for alls. Both are excellent fun, but the more players the more likely you are to have multiple trump cards being pulled out in one battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I played 2p for the first three or so games. The last time we did, I got into a run-away situation and my gf couldn't touch me starting at about halfway through the second age.

At the end, I had lapped her on Glory twice and she declared she would not play it 2p again.

We both love it with more players, but wouldn't play it again with two. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Deep
Brazil
Rio
flag msg tools
I didn't like my play with 2p. 4 seems the perfect number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say Blood Rage has "endless" add-ons at all - simply some other retail purchases which made up stretch goals for the Kickstarter.

As for 2 player, I wouldn't pick Blood Rage up for that player count. It's a game that really lives in the realm of 3-5 players, imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What endless addons? There's like only 2 (Gods, and Mystics), and I can't even find them because they just came out or something. The other one, the 5P expansion, you only need if you have too many friends or if you love youself some more viking minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mlai00 wrote:
clip... if you love youself some more viking minis.

Guilty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a few 2p games and it was fun enough, but it definitely shines with 3, I'm itching to try four soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.