Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: What Klingon Paint Scheme Do You Like Better? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
I painted up some test Klingons. One is lighter (left) and the other (right) is what I had envisioned, a more Camo look (colour closer to the Bird of Prey).

I'm leaning towards keeping the right darker one as my colour scheme because it contrasts the red and yellow more. Still, the more Khaki Beige on the left doesn't look too bad.

If you had to choose, which do you like better? The lighter one on the left or the darker one on the right?

Poll
which Klingon colour scheme looks better? The Lighter one on the left or the darker one on the right?
Left/Lighter
Right/Darker
      69 answers
Poll created by R2EQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Which ever one provides the most contrast with your Romulan paint jobs.

I know they are shaped differently...but if they are too close in color it can be distracting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob24 wrote:

I know they are shaped differently...but if they are too close in color it can be distracting.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I just started priming some Romulans. I'm going to paint a test one deep green and then see.

The drawback to painting these ships is the table might not be so easy to read. Still, I think it will look better and the shapes are different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Neumann
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
RangerRob24 wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing. I just started priming some Romulans. I'm going to paint a test one deep green and then see.

The drawback to painting these ships is the table might not be so easy to read. Still, I think it will look better and the shapes are different.

I would recommend klingons to be closer to a brownish/gray shade of green and let the romulans have a more forrest green tone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Neumann wrote:
I would recommend klingons to be closer to a brownish/gray shade of green and let the romulans have a more forrest green tone

I'm inclined to agree with this. Most pictures of Klingon buildings or interiors are dirt brown, so its a better fit for control nodes. The problem you are likely to run into though is that Cardassian ships are also dirt brown and Ferengi ships are orangish/light brown, so if you are going to paint those expansions when they come out, you will have three races competing for shades of brown. I don't paint miniatures though, so what do I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I know that Red isn't canon, but I prefer it for the game. That being said if you do a base green with a lot of red accents, that could be the medium ground that still makes them easy to differentiate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I prefer the left one of the two you listed.

But I also am likely going to nix canon with them and paint them a redder color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both nice generally. But I prefer the lighter one because it will contrast better with the dark blue systems/star paths you will place them upon. Reading the board, as you say, is very important.

laugh You are not painting, (but placing) in a vacuum!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
left. But then the Romulans will look very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an example for reference for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Next Gen they're quite light, but I personally prefer the darker schemes - I've got some repainted Klingons from Attack Wing that are much darker than how they appear onscreen, but really like how they come out...

What best suits your personal aesthetic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
To better show the contrast that I was talking about.

My Klingon Ships from Fleet Captains...

and My Romulans...Did a light gray/blue drybrush pushed the overall color to the "Jade" style. Where the Green Klingons stayed more in the darker range. Took this before I dry-brushed the Valdore. You can see it's shade is still pretty close to the Klingons.

All the Fleets Together...

And an in game combat with all 4 fleets...before I painted the Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.