Popular Tags: [View All]
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone interested in a Standard Labyrinth PBF game? I would suggest Quad, since that's a bit larger than I normally get to play in person, but would be open to other sizes. I'd suggest Standard character selection, but I'd also be willing to try Draft. I'm willing to play either with Vassal (which I haven't done before with DOA2, but I've downloaded the module) or with a physical game and posting photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested. The map size, character selection type and such are not critical to me; I can adapt.

Sounds like a great deal of work for the mod, tho...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played a PBF game before, we didn't have a moderator, just used the honor system. Draw your own cards to resolve challenges, items, etc. If we each draw separately, we can possibly get duplicates of the same item, but that's not really a big deal. Post photos of your play area to show where you move.

If we use VASSAL, then it lets you draw the cards from a single deck so there are no duplicates. And I think you can draw cards that don't get revealed to your opponent (items), or cards that do get revealed (challenges, guardians).

A third possibility is to have someone moderate, and that would be fine too, but I'm not sure anyone wants to keep track of everything if they aren't playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Velasco
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the maker of the module I can say it works perfectly for PBEM . I have already play several games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance you could play in a way that allows spectators to follow along?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would hope so, at least to some extent. Here's the previous game I played:

PBF #2 - Jump Triad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, looks like I have to familiarize myself with Vassal...

How many players are we looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of just one player on each side. Coordinating teams would make the game take significantly longer, and increases the chance that someone flakes out before we finish.

That said, another possibility that could be fun is a "Team vs One" game, if enough people are interested. Like this:

LL PBF #44 (Team vs. One #5): Conquer and Hold

I'd be willing to play one side, and we could set up a separate discussion thread for everyone else who's interested to make suggestions for the other side. I'd still suggest there should be one captain who would ultimately move all of their characters, although people could take turns being captain if there's enough interest.

Whether we have enough people who are interested, to do the Team vs One format, I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as cool as this sounds (and it does sound cool...) I have to be realistic. There's just nowhere I can set up and leave out a full game of DOA2.

Also, my set is getting some play lately, so I've taken to keeping it in my trunk.

I hope you are able to put a game together, but my role will be limited to observer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize there was a Vassal module. Life just got better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good to be realistic when starting a game that might take quite a while. It's a big commitment.

That said, it looks possible to play the entire game in Vassal without ever having to set up a physical copy of the game. Although I have room for that myself (and I have two complete sets of DOA2!), so I can do either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dietrich
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donegal wrote:
As the maker of the module I can say it works perfectly for PBEM . I have already play several games.

I am interested in playing as well.

I have a modified version of the vassal module that builds on the great work of @Donegal

I have added names to everything (I think), added a turn tracker, health tracking on characters, combat score calculations (assuming you mark your characters dead or imprisoned), organized the layout a bit, and included a few scans of straightened card backs.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o4ddmn1we4rtofa/DOA2.vmod
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Schubert
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am very interested. Who is willing to play me in my first VASSAL game ?

Cheers , Franz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also interested in playing. Probably Vassal as I am Australia-based and often travelling. Vassal would allow me to play across locations. Unfortunately turnaround time could be slower paced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm definitely interested if anyone here wants to give it a shot. I haven't played a Vassal game of anything in years, but if it gives me a way to play DOA I'm all for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By my reckoning, we have the following interested players:

DaviddesJ
porter235
HattoriHanzo74
Macs
ckessel

I'm not sure about the others who've posted here.

I have a revised suggestion. Why don't we start a mini "league" with relatively small games (e.g., Standard Dual)? We could have a few going simultaneously, and then switch around opponents. Some people will probably drop it or find it's more trouble than it's worth, and that's ok. Once people have a game or two under their belts, we could try larger games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely keen for a league. Was thinking the same thing.

Does anyone have a primer on how to use the Vassal module? I am muddling through it but not sure how the flow of a game would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dietrich
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Macs wrote:
Does anyone have a primer on how to use the Vassal module? I am muddling through it but not sure how the flow of a game would work.

Here is the start of a guide to the updated Master module. This covers where you can find stuff and the basic functionality of the pieces.

Duel of Ages II Vassal Module

When you start up the module, you are presented with the menu and the chat window.

Map: This toggles the main table area where you will place the platters and domes.

Black: This toggles the Black team's playing area, where their characters and cards can be placed.

White: This toggles the White team's playing area, where their characters and cards can be placed.

Challenge: This toggles a window with the Challenge decks. To draw a card, simply drag from one of the decks to the discard pile.

Common/Secret/Elite: This toggles a window with the expected cards. You will be dragging these from the deck and into the Black or White team's window. The cards will appear with a red border around them when they are facedown/unrevealed. To reveal a card, right click and choose 'Flip' or press CTRL+F

Guardians: This toggles a window with the four guadian decks. To draw a guardian, drag a card from the deck to the left of the deck. This area is provided so that if a guardian is not defeated, it can be left here. Once defeated, drag to the discard pile on the right of the deck or right click and select 'Discard' or press CTRL+D

Characters/Henchmen: This toggles a window with the character and henchmen cards, as well as a set of encounter tokens. You can draw the cards to the team windows like you do the common cards. A red border means that it is unrevealed. When ready to reveal, right click and choose 'Flip' or press CTRL+F. You will notice that character cards have 2 numbers on them, a small purple number on the left, and a larger red number on the right.

The purple tracks how many combat points this character is worth to you at the end. It will change when you take damage, get killed, or get imprisoned. You can mark your character dead by right clicking and choosing 'Toggle as Killed' or CTRL+K, and as imprisoned by clicking 'Imprison' or CTRL+I

The red number tracks damage taken. You can increase this number by right clicking and choosing 'Increase Damage' or by pressing the EQUALS (=) key, and decrease it by choosing 'Decrease Damage' or by pressing the MINUS (-) key.

Note that henchemen also have damage tracking, but no combat points.

Platters: This toggles the pile of platters available. You can choose a random tile by simply dragging from the pile and onto the map. If you would like to choose a specific tile by name, right click and choose 'Draw specific cards'. This opens a dialog where you can choose the platter(s) you wish to draw. Once selected click 'OK' and then drag from the pile to the map.

Once placed, a tile can be chosen by holding SHIFT and clicking the platter. Now you can move it, and access its right click menu where you can rotate by individual or 60 degree increments.

Platter list: This toggles a big graphic with all of the platters shown so that you can find the name of the platter you wish to draw.

Charts: This toggles a reference sheet.

Pieces: This toggles the pieces drawer next to the chat window. This is where you can find Keys and markers for characters, henchmen, monuments, sentinels, hunters, tributes, as well as the team and experience markers. Choose the tab corrisponding to the piece you want to get, adjust the frame if necessary so you can see both the piece and the list of pieces on the right, select the piece you want from the list, then drag the piece into the playing area. The owner of the piece can be changed with a right click and choosing 'Change owner' or by pressing O.

Turn: This toggles the turn marker. Pressing the + button advances the turn by one phase, - rolls it back one. You can also set to a specific phase by right clicking and choosing 'Set Turn'. You can also dock it in the menu bar by choosing dock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
porter235 wrote:
Guardians: This toggles a window with the four guadian decks. To draw a guardian, drag a card from the deck to the left of the deck. This area is provided so that if a guardian is not defeated, it can be left here. Once defeated, drag to the discard pile on the right of the deck or right click and select 'Discard' or press CTRL+D

You can have 2 revealed Guardians when you have the alternate labyrinths in play. Is there a location for those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dietrich
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
You can have 2 revealed Guardians when you have the alternate labyrinths in play. Is there a location for those?

It is not ideal, but you could put both to the left overlapping, or move one to the right of the discard.

I have made some more room and made it possible to mark guardians as for alt labyrinth in next revision.

Other suggestions/questions/ideas are welcome.

(I will hold off on releasing the new revision right away in case there is any more feedback)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wow, the work on that VASSAL module is impressive. Sooooo many cards and platters and keys to scan and crop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Can someone give some pointers on how to create a PBM game? When I open the DOA2 module, one of the first questions is if I'm joining as black/white or an observer. Well, until we pick characters we don't know who is black or white...

I suppose just pick a color and if it doesn't match the rules on who goes first, it doesn't really matter.

I'm busily flailing about trying to do the initial character draws, remove characters I don't want, put the map together etc. I'm getting there, but a "how to setup a DOA2 Vassal game" would be good if someone has one. Even some basic info like "every deck pull is random" (based on trial and error, I think that's true?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.