Tiny Epic Western» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions about the "rival" in solo play... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Buvox Rushianikchyd
United States
California
flag msg tools
In the solo rules, the dummy player is called the "rival" and the rules say it competes at each location during the resolution phase (using the best of it's two poker cards at each mat). The normal (multi-player) rules also include a "rival" poker card which is used to defend mats that are not contested by the actual players. My questions are:

1) I assume the "rival" in solo play replaces the effects of the "rival" card in the normal rules and the "rival" space on the Town Hall mat should be left empty. Is that correct?

2) When the "rival" in solo play "competes" at each mat, I assume it doesn't win the pot unless it actually has a posse token at that location (for example in the event that the player doesn't have any posse tokens at a location, the rival doesn't automatically win that pot). Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) No the solo rules say the rival gets two cards at the Town Hall (one face up and one face down). These are the rival's cards.

2.) Winning the pot has no meaning for the rival. His posse is there to block/start duels (and determine where he can buy cards from). Other than that you are just competing against the rival cards (at the Town Hall) in order to win the pot yourself regardless of where his tokens are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rodriguez
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for clarification because I'm still a little confused. So during Solo is there are 2 hands played Solo player & Rival. But is the rivals 2 cards in front of the town hall or in front of their assigned player mat and an additional card is place at town hall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrpnut98 wrote:
Just for clarification because I'm still a little confused. So during Solo is there are 2 hands played Solo player & Rival. But is the rivals 2 cards in front of the town hall or in front of their assigned player mat and an additional card is place at town hall?
The rival does not have a player mat (i.e. boss card) nor do they have resources.

The rival entirely consists of the 2 playing cards at the town hall each round, the 3 posse meeples, and the bought/starting cards on the porch of their matching building. Basically the rival is simply a mechanism that generates points and disrupts your point generation; it is not a "complete" player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rodriguez
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Richard. I just noticed the picture in the rule book and it has the 2 cards in front of town hall as you said. So when it says pick a matching location mat for the Rivals posse it is only a place holder. Makes sense gonna try and play right now.

Much appreciated partner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.