Subject: Interesting and unique card game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Oberlin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had the opportunity to playtest this game recently with the designer. Overall, I liked this game well enough to want to kickstart it.

The general objective of the game is to collect various creatures from the wilds to add to your bosses' menagerie. You have a main "hunter" character which has unique abilities that differentiate you from your opponents. You will also draw additional crew as you play, as well as cages to keep the animals, alarms and locks to keep your opponents from stealing them, as well as other cards that affect the game.

The strategies involved were pretty deep for a game that play in about 30 minutes or so. The game supports 2-5 players as I recall, but the mechanic for triggering game end involves draw deck depletion, with the overall effect being that a 5 player game yields less turns per player than a 2 player game. You also have the option of discarding as many cards as you like at the end of your turn and refilling your hand, so there is a double edged sword of trying to draw the cards you need and speeding the game toward a conclusion. There are many choices on your turn, between trying to raid other players, and trying to acquire cards from the wild. There is also a mechanic for battling with other players, which can end up weakening yourself and them, making both of you easy targets for other opponents. There are lots of decisions like this that involve pros and cons in Xenofera - rarely did I find there was always a single obvious choice on my turn.

Finally - the art is creative and unique. I'm not really an art critic other than that, but it's nice to see a game where this detail gets some attention to make it an attractive part of my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.