24 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: New Player from Attack Wing. Pick my first 4 Imperial. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Reynolds
Canada
flag msg tools
Coming from a large fleet of Star Trek Attack Wing. It's time to jump in to X-wing. Here's the thing, I need an honest opinion on what to pick up and have a few fun games with. I want to play impeeial, /me I'll pick up the force awakens starter. To start I'll just go with standard ships and get a Decimator later. Honest opinion on what 4-5 ships to go with next, AND why those choices. No second starter for now, they're $50 here.

For the Ties in the box, what's the difference to the blister Tie/fo? Is there a reason to have both? What about the SF Tie, which I'd better or would you prefer. Other than that, what about bombers or anything else. I'll get a second core eventually. Ignoring the templates and dice though are the ships still worth playing?

Sorry to be so inquisitive, but any creative input would be great. Try to avoid "you should by this ship because it comes with Card A or B" though. I want to keep it more reasonably playable budget wise for now. I know how cards can be key though. I'm 37 unique ships deep in Star Trek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Decepticons wrote:

For the Ties in the box, what's the difference to the blister Tie/fo? Is there a reason to have both?

The TIE/FO blister has some additional pilots and upgrades that are not in the core box. It's definitely worth picking up.

The Decepticons wrote:
What about the SF Tie, which I'd better or would you prefer. Other than that, what about bombers or anything else. I'll get a second core eventually. Ignoring the templates and dice though are the ships still worth playing?

I haven't played with the SF TIE yet, but it's a totally different ship than the standard TIE/FO. As for the ships in the core set, they're very much still worth playing. Both the T-70 X-Wing and the TIE/FO are solid ships that see play, and picking up a second core would give you 2 more TIE/FOs so you can play around with TIE swarms.

If I was going to get 4-5 small Imperial ships, I think I would go with these:
- Imperial Aces
- TIE/FO Blister
- Inquisitor's TIE Blister

Imperial Aces gives you two TIE Interceptors and cards that work reasonably well with them. The TIE/FO blister is another pack that works pretty much out of the box by itself. Picking it up will not only give you the option to run some fun elite TIE/FOs, but having 3 of them will also let you run a mini-swarm as backup for more expensive ships if you so choose. Finally, the Inquisitor's TIE is a fun little ship that can fit into a lot of lists.

If you want to push your budget a little further, you could pick up Imperial Veterans, which comes with a TIE Bomber and a TIE Defender. They're both pretty fun ships that fly very differently from the other ones I've recommended, and they also synergize pretty well with the 3 packs I listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reynolds
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks a bunch for the input.

I'll definitely look into that. When I was referring to picking up a second core and Iff the ships were worth it and still playable, I was referring to the first released core set and not the force awakens starter. Wondered if there still is a reason to play the old Ties and the standard X-wing. Or would I just be better off taking the price and picking up the T-70 and a newer Tie/fo or Tie/sf instead. I know a lot of people go for both core sets because the extra components are a welcome bonus. But If the ships arnt as playable would I just be better off getting another force awakens starter instead of the old one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had more fun flying aces, so I'd go with an Interceptor (Soontir Fel is great) and the Imperial Veterans pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
pincher wrote:
I've had more fun flying aces, so I'd go with an Interceptor (Soontir Fel is great) and the Imperial Veterans pack.

TO make Fel work you really need Imp Aces though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with Soontir Fel and Imperial Aces is that Soontir Fel is only in the regular Tie Interceptor blister pack. There are upgrades and cool models in the Imperial Aces that you want, but you won't get the Soontir Fel pilot card in that package.

One question is....how do you intend to play? Do you plan on playing in tournaments and tough matches with tournament folk? Or are you playing for fun with a few friends? It matters in that tournament folk have some hard lists that can be a bit brutal to play against. It won't be good to just take a generic list and fly against someone with one of the internet's best to smash your face in.

I'll admit that I'm a bit old school as I started to play back in Wave 1. I think you should learn proper Tie Fighters before you jump into Tie Interceptors. Most don't agree though. Of course, if you are going to play against the tournament folk, then just go straight to Tie Interceptor. Soontir Fel is probably one of the most over powered pilots in the game. When you load him up with all the crazy tools, he's really rather brutal. If you can fly him well, you can almost win games with just that one ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Decepticons wrote:
Thanks a bunch for the input.

I'll definitely look into that. When I was referring to picking up a second core and Iff the ships were worth it and still playable, I was referring to the first released core set and not the force awakens starter. Wondered if there still is a reason to play the old Ties and the standard X-wing. Or would I just be better off taking the price and picking up the T-70 and a newer Tie/fo or Tie/sf instead. I know a lot of people go for both core sets because the extra components are a welcome bonus. But If the ships arnt as playable would I just be better off getting another force awakens starter instead of the old one

I don't think the old core set is obsolete. The standard TIE Fighter is still very much a staple in Imperial lists. The generic T-65 X-Wings and Luke don't see much play any more, but Biggs comes in the Core Set as well and he has a very powerful ability and a number of Rebel lists make good use of him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thespaceinvader wrote:
pincher wrote:

TO make Fel work you really need Imp Aces though.

D'oh! Yeah I meant Imperial Aces. Obviously thinking about buying myself the veterans pack distracted me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a verrrry important note when migrating from Attack wing. X-wingays entirely differently and with a very different 'meta' than attack wing from what I understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically if you want to fly soontir then you will need the interceptor and imp aces. (and star viper, see below)
The Imperial vets is needed to make defenders viable and a really excellent ship, this pack contains Ryad which is a very good pilot. The Defender pack contains Vessery who is also very good for different reasons.
Tie adv prototype gives you the inquisitor who is brill but you need autothrusters for him and the interceptors, auto thrusters can only be bought from the star viper pack.
The imperial vets is a more complete expansion than aces.
The new Tie SF is a good fun ship firing from front and rear with title.
Tie advanced has Vader but needs title from raider expansion and some would say engine upgrade too which would mean a falcon purchase.

I would recommend printing your own upgrades at the start to allow you to practice before the many extra purchases you make each ship work to its potential.

If you don't want to proxy but want a few ships you can fly that have most of what they need in the pack then I would go for:
Imperial Vets
Defender
Tie SF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that it all depends on Soontir Fel. Are you playing in tournaments or at tournament level? Yes, then you want all the bells and whistles for Soontir Fel. Are you playing with your friends? You don't really have to have all the stuff for Soontir Fel.

Basically, the most optimal Soontir Fel is:

Soontir Fel
-Auto Thrusters
-Stealth Device
-Royal Guard title (allows 2 modifications)
-Push the Limit

If you aren't playing in tournaments and just with friends than Soontir Fel with just PtL and Stealth Device is still pretty powerful. Does your opponent use ships like the Falcon? OK...you probably want Auto Thrusters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mb
I would also look at:

Inquisitor's TIE
Cards to add for competitive (i.e. tournament) play: Push the Limit (comes with Imperial Aces) and Autothrusters

TIE Advanced
Cards to add for competitive play: Engine Upgrade, Advanced Targeting Computer, and TIE x1

TIE Phantom
Cards to add for competitive play: Veteran Instincts (also consider: Agent Kallus or Rebel Captive)

These are all strong in the current meta. If you're playing casual, you can just proxy the cards you don't have.

If you want to play in tournaments and stay within your five-expansion budget, here's what I came up with:

TIE/FO Fighter
TIE Phantom
TIE Advanced

That leaves you with two expansions worth money to buy the following cards on eBay: Veteran Instincts, TIE/x1, Engine Upgrade, Advanced Targeting Computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reynolds
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the input guys. I will start playing competative sooner than later as well.

For now, since i had a bunch of credit on my account at a local LCS, my first pick up purchases i decided to go with was the Imperial Aces pack as well as a Tie Phantom. I know the Phantom is a technical ship which requires fairly accurate estimates of the movement templates to predict flight, but id actually like to try flying 2 of them at some point. I know they have a little bit of a glass jaw when trying to be flown as a standard fighter, but ill get used to it.

The Force Awakens coreset i just havnt gotten to yet. I'll grab that the weekend while i have time. It will be a week or two before i get to some free time anyway.

Other than that, I just saw the review for the new Flacon Pack, so ill grab that when it comes out, and than gives me another X-wing if i want to try Rebel. Probably a third T-70 for a 3 ship squad than.

Other ships of interest;
Tie Interceptor - Soontir. Reasonable to fly 3 Interceptors as a build?
Tie Defender - Probably the Vets pack for it. and other options
Inquisitors Tie
Decimator - at some point
Raider - long term purchase. want Palpatine at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Decepticons wrote:

For what it's worth, there are regularly Palpatine cards for sale as individual cards on eBay. Unless you want the whole Raider package (which does have some other cool stuff in it) you can see if the price of the individual cards is more to your liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reynolds
Canada
flag msg tools
drathbun wrote:
The Decepticons wrote:

For what it's worth, there are regularly Palpatine cards for sale as individual cards on eBay. Unless you want the whole Raider package (which does have some other cool stuff in it) you can see if the price of the individual cards is more to your liking.

Yeah. I'm in Canada, so it kind of hurts going about 50 bucks and shipping on a single card. I figure that if i can use any of the other contents, it's just as well as i bought the full Raider. That being said though i don't think i will end up using the rest of the pack, so that is an option. Picking up some singles might work, but if it's going to cost me about $15 CAD shipped for a card, i might as well just buy the ship locally instead.

As for the Emperor...the guy requires 2 crew slots so than i can only throw him on the Lamda or the Decimator. The Lamda ill pass on, though i do want to pick up a Decimator at some point. He also slots to the Upsilon shuttle that is yet to release, so i'll probably put him on that since the stats look a little better out of the box than the Lamda, and im sure there will be other useable cards too.

Picking up singles on ebay greatly depend. if i've got to spend $15cad on a card, i might as well just go the few bucks higher and go and get the full ship pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Decepticons wrote:
Picking up singles on ebay greatly depend. if i've got to spend $15cad on a card, i might as well just go the few bucks higher and go and get the full ship pack.

Then maybe you can go the reverse... buy the Raider and sell what you don't want. Folks are buying the Raider with Emperor and TIE title / ATC removed for $40+. I don't know if the market is the same in Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Interceptors is going to have a hard time against a lot of builds without some really fancy flying; low-count, no-shields Imperial lists get outlasted by tougher ships, especially those with turrets, even when Soontir's in play—and he's the only one who can turtle up with two Focus tokens and an Evade token. Three hull and three agility relies a lot on dice luck, and luck can only hold out for so long.

It's well worth having one Lambda for the crew cards, like Darth Vader and Tactician.

A TIE/fo expansion is a solid buy; Omega Leader (with Juke and Comm Relay) and Zeta Leader (with Wired) are both really good.

Imperial Veterans is a great pack; Countess Ryad is especially fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mb
Getting a third Interceptor is tempting because I'd want the Soontir Fel ship card (arguably the best pilot in the game), but as much as I love offbeat lists, I myself wouldn't fly three Interceptors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting an Inteceptor blister is totally worth it! It's flying all three at once, with nothing else, that's a bit iffy because you lose so much of your strength each time one falls — and a group of Aces often doesn't want to clump together for mass-fire formations because of their abilities. You can make a strong list with three TIE/in and another ship, though:

Royal Guard Pilot (24) x 3
TIE Interceptor (22), Adaptability (0), Autothrusters (2)

Maarek Stele (28)
TIE Advanced (27), TIE/x1 (0), Adaptability (0), Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Getting an Inteceptor blister is totally worth it! It's flying all three at once, with nothing else, that's a bit iffy because you lose so much of your strength each time one falls — and a group of Aces often doesn't want to clump together for mass-fire formations because of their abilities. You can make a strong list with three TIE/in and another ship, though:

Royal Guard Pilot (24) x 3
TIE Interceptor (22), Adaptability (0), Autothrusters (2)

Maarek Stele (28)
TIE Advanced (27), TIE/x1 (0), Adaptability (0), Advanced Targeting Computer (1)

2x imperial aces
4x scum mist hunter
3x scum star viper
1x TIE Advanced
1x Raider

Or buy cards seperately...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pointing out the kind of group that will have staying power with three Interceptors. Can as easily pair with a mini TIE swarm or go with two RGPs and a 24 point ace instead. Adaptability isn't needed, it's just free, so I tossed it on. Royal Guard Pilots aren't necessary, either. Can go with something else. Saber Squadron with VI matches RGP for initiative.

Mist Hunter comes with two Adaptability, and a StarViper comes with two Autothrusters, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Mist Hunter comes with two Adaptability, and a StarViper comes with two Autothrusters, btw.

Oh yeah I forgot I thought I had more than 2 each for some reason...my mind was circling trying to remember where the other autothrusters came from

And no worries - I was just being sarcastic and goofy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theashers wrote:
And no worries - I was just being sarcastic and goofy :P

It does take a lot to build some of these lists, though! I couldn't actually do the one above; not enough RGT titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reynolds
Canada
flag msg tools
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Three Interceptors is going to have a hard time against a lot of builds without some really fancy flying; low-count, no-shields Imperial lists get outlasted by tougher ships, especially those with turrets, even when Soontir's in play—and he's the only one who can turtle up with two Focus tokens and an Evade token. Three hull and three agility relies a lot on dice luck, and luck can only hold out for so long.

Never tell me the odds. :p

Sarcasmorator wrote:
It's well worth having one Lambda for the crew cards, like Darth Vader and Tactician.

I dont mind the Lamda, i just figure that im going to wait and pick up the Upsilon Shuttle when it comes out and use that instead. The bigger ships i just dont want to jump into right away. I do want to get Palpatine, but i cant justify picking up the Raider for him at what it would cast in CAD.

Sarcasmorator wrote:
A TIE/fo expansion is a solid buy; Omega Leader (with Juke and Comm Relay) and Zeta Leader (with Wired) are both really good.

I'll get the Tie/Fo pack, though it will be partially on the back of a list of ships to pick up. There are a few i want to get before it.

Sarcasmorator wrote:
Imperial Veterans is a great pack; Countess Ryad is especially fun.

Ill look into the Vets, though ill want to look into a Decimator first. Of the next set of ships that i pick up, one of them is actually going to be a Defender pack. I'll get the Vets pack as well. I just have to pace the budget as i go. Im coming off of other hobbies i still activly play too. My budget is basically limited to the amount of Magic i start cutting down to squeeze in some purchases passed my Magic, Force of Will, Netrunner, Attack Wing, and every other boardgame and random purchase that follows me out the door... since i work at a local hobby shop myself. Having a "balance owing" at the end of the week from work is ok, as long as i can keep it managable. though, there was one time i owed just over a grand... but we wont talk about that. :whistle:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.