Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
When *is* BGG Con 20XX registration, anyway?
badge
This space intentionally left blank. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello out there in BGG land! Would you believe it's the...

ACTUAL TENTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE BGG CON MATH TRADE

Still cancer-free! The number of Mischas is unchanged from last year, as far as I know.

This is the Actual Geeklist!
This is the Request Geeklist!

dates

Geeklist opens: NOW NOW NOW GO GO GO

Geeklist closes: NOON CENTRAL, Tuesday, November 1st, 2016. (This means you can stay up late on Halloween without Math Trade Guilt.)

Pesky Daylight Savings Time ends: 2am, Sunday, November 6th, 2016.

Wantlists due: 5am Central, Monday, November 7th, 2016.

Results posted: Monday, November 7th, 2016. Noonish. (I have a day job, people!)

Results final: Tuesday, November 8th, 2015. Noonish.

Trade Happens:
Saturday, November 16th, 2016. NOON SHARP in Innovation.

SITREP: WHAT DO I DO?
Add games to the Actual Geeklist! Covet them!
Add hopes and dreams to the Request Geeklist!
Wait for Mischa to set up the OLWLG with JeffyJeff!
ASK QUESTIONS!
Kibitz in the Actual Discussion Thread!
Remember to pack!
Work on your wantlists!
OLWLG is here: http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/
Don't forget to submit your wants!
Revise your wants! Revise them! Submit them again!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EXTRA RULES & CLARIFICATIONS

Subscribe to this thread. It's the little link near the title that says "Subscribe."

IF YOU DON'T KNOW, ASK.

Please don't list an item concurrently in this Math Trade and the Virtual Flea. It's Bad Form and annoying.

No cash, no gift cards, no gift certificates, no pure Geekgold. I still think it's boring to watch that transaction.

If you add an entry, you are not, repeat not obliged to trade it away. It's mathematically impossible, like dividing by zero or finding the cube root of the Ace of Corn.

OLWLG is here: http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We need to nest... deeper.
rossum wrote:
Nested quotes!!
rossum wrote:
With apologies to the past...
rossum wrote:
rossum wrote:
With apologies to the last threefour years...
rossum wrote:
With apologies to the last twothree years...

Mischa's Patented Newbie Guide to Math Trades ™

What the hell is a math trade?

A math trade is a way to orchestrate trades between many people without requiring many direct one-for-one trades. Example: I give you a game, you give Aldie a game, and Aldie gives me a game. We all give; we all get. We didn't trade directly with each other and none of us gets what we didn't ask for. Now scale that up to several hundred games and dozens of people. Everyone tells a computer program what they want, and it crunches the numbers (hence, "math") to figure out who gives what to who.

It doesn't have to be one-for-one. Think of each item on the Actual Geeklist as a box. In this box, I offer up a copy of Settlers; in that box, I offer up a second copy of Settlers but include Seafarers. I'm willing to trade both "boxes," but I'll accept different things for each box because I value them differently. (We could just as easily talk about a signed 20-year-old copy of whatever versus a brand-new print and play copy with the fabulous redesign.)

cry What do I do?

Read this trade's rules as posted on the Actual Geeklist. If you want to join in this year, inventory your games and add them to the list with a good description.

gulp Wait, I don't want to trade my signed Sid Sackson/Reiner Knizia RAcquire colaboration prototype with custom Rodin Fimo bits and get a slightly used travel chess set from the 1995 World's Fair Wheaties box!

No worries. All Math Trades are "No Risk" by definition. It's mathematically impossible for you to get a trade you didn't ask for. And not "Calculus is impossible" but "1 + 2 = blue turtle divided by zero times corn" impossible. So: be mindful of your wantlists and only add games you're actually willing to accept for that given item. In the same breath, don't be too restrictive and hope to trade up everything; you may wind up with no trades this time around.

blush Okay, now what?

Wait for further instructions, familiarize yourself with the deadlines and the Online Wantlist Generator. Subscribe to this thread! Ask questions! Tip! Thumb! Answer questions! Read the wiki! Don't sleep in on trade day!

This newbie guide is not to supplant Awesome Lindsey's Guide or the wiki entry. JeffyJeff's Online Wantlist Generator has its own wiki page, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved for Door Prize

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RESULTS!!!

Results are live and in!

CLICK ME for results

Pro tip, add hastag-your-username: http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...

Unformatted: http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/215020-results-official.tx...

Mischa's Patented Good Form Math Trade Protocol

As previous years, I have a specific Math Trade Good Form Protocol I want you to follow. This is what you're going to do right now.

1. Look at the official results in JeffyJeff's nicely formatted version here. If you click the results link from the main page, it'll have #username at the end of the link and handily bring you to your own section.

NB: For each line, -- and ++ are part of the same chain. So you're giving --1 and getting ++1. This will help you answer, "Oooh, what did I trade away Y for?"

2. For each one of your giveaway games (marked with a --), do this:
In BGG, mark your game as for-trade.
Also set the comment as "spoken for in BGG.Con Math Trade" so people know not to bother.
In the OLWLG, click on the recipient's username. This will take you to proposing a trade to that user.
Set up a proposal to give someone a game and get nothing in return. Feel free to add a note to the comments along the lines of "for pickup at BGG.Con" to help remind people. Include your cell and notable travel details if you like.
Wait at least a couple-three hours before bombarding the other person with geekmails to give you your game.

I want people to take on the responsibility of giving before clamoring to get. Okay, people?

3. Side trades! Check out the "Who wanted mine" links to help you offload any desired games. All wantlists are public, so this should be easy.

Don't forget to tip your not-so-humble moderator, the actually humble JeffyJeff for his OLWLG work, and the incredibly understated Chris Okasaki for inventing the veritable flux capacitor of Math Trading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pike
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rossum wrote:

Still cancer-free!

I always love hearing this!

Maybe one of these years I will jump in and do my first math trade. My problem is I rarely part with the games people want....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to read through the newbie guide, I want to take part in this a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
Murfressboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
Geekbadge contest this year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hsart wrote:
Geekbadge contest this year?

Always!

...I may need to fix last year's first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amy1355 wrote:
rossum wrote:

Still cancer-free!

I always love hearing this!

Maybe one of these years I will jump in and do my first math trade. My problem is I rarely part with the games people want....

You don't know if you don't try..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I just want to say I'm truly glad you are cancer free my friend. We all love you for what you do with the math trade each year. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added games to the Geeklist, and I need to add specific descriptions to the item when I get home and look everything over. We are OK to edit an item (add a detailed description, add a sweetener, etc), as long as we don't remove it, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're Ok to edit as long as you don't downgrade the condition or such. To be safe, I'd add "condition will be added later" now, since, technically, if there is not information, it is assumed to be like-new, latest version, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you substantially change a listing, change it to Outside the Scope of BGG and submit a blank wantlist.

But doing a "UPDATE! NOW WITH THE EXPANSION!" is totally cool.

Also, saying "I'm listing this now because I have time and will inventory it soon when I have more time" is okay. Just don't forget to add the details!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were there microbadges for the 2014 and 2015 trades? If so, I don't seem to have them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
im dumb...and lazy...how do i do this lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
tierdal wrote:

the Math Trade? if you're lazy, you cannot -- requires some effort and time to learn and use, and a bit more for the actual exchange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilby wrote:
Were there microbadges for the 2014 and 2015 trades? If so, I don't seem to have them.

I believe those have slipped through the cracks. Mea Culpa. I WILL FIX THIS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tierdal wrote:

Hi, Chris!

The broad overview is that you need to add game offers to the Official Geeklist before Halloweenish. These are all games, items, or bundles you want to give away.

After that, there is a learning curve to use the Online Wantlist Generator to make a computer-friendly list of "I want to give away this and will take that, that, or that".

Then I push a button and we find out who gets what!

Once in Dallas (or otherwise), the physical trade-off happens.

What specific other questions can I help answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buffalo ZS
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tierdal wrote:

Last year's math trade was the very first time I had even heard of a math trade. Even starting from zero, Rahdo's run through of math trades was all I needed. It was absolutely the best place for me to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA-hiERrMk8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
Murfressboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
Paging:

Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You once made a handy guide to import your trade items from BGG into a math Trade.

Do you happen to have reference to that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember do a guide as such but here's the procedure to easily add your "for trade" games to a math trade:

1. If necessary, on the OLWLG home page, click "[resync BGG collection data now]" and click the button to resync. When done, click the house on the nav bar to return.
2. Find the math trade in question and click the add items icon (looks like a package with a + sign):

3. In the top pull-down list, select "-- Use your BGG Collection Data --" and click "Submit query".
4. You will now see all items in your collection marked "for trade".
5. select the one you want to add and click "add this to Geeklist".
6. A new browser tab will now open for adding the game to the trade Geeklist. Go ahead and fill in the description, change the image, etc. and submit it.
7. Close the new tab to go back to step 5 and repeat with another item.

This is also how you carry over items from previous math trades. Ignore step 1 and in step 3, select the previous math trade. You'll now see all of the items you listed in that math trade (including ones you traded - careful!). The descriptions will already be filled in from the previous math trade. You can edit it here or in step 6.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
Murfressboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
TedMarshall wrote:

I hope this helps.

This really should be pinned somewhere! Thanks, have some GG. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all 1:1 trades, right? So, if I want a more expensive game, I won't be able to trade smaller games for it? I might want to bundle a few together and hope someone wants them all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buffalo ZS
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thrasymachus wrote:
These are all 1:1 trades, right? So, if I want a more expensive game, I won't be able to trade smaller games for it? I might want to bundle a few together and hope someone wants them all?

This is only my second year, so I am by no means an expert; however, there where bundles in last year's trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.