Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

My gaming buddy and have run into this question on a number of match-ups using Iri and was wondering if you guys might put the debate to rest. The question is in regards to Iri's Galactic style and her Cosmic form (The other forms apply as well). Our question is this: If I ante into Cosmic Form but play play Galactic as my style, do I lose my 1 life?

There are three ways to think of this. First, I immediately lose the life and gain +2 power because I transformed into Cosmic on ante. On reveal I then move into the stabilize effect of Cosmic because of Galactic, giving me the stabilize effect and losing the +2 power and the life.

The second way is I lose the life and gain +2 power on ante. I then move into the stabilize effect on reveal while keeping the +2 power and -1 life because the card doesn't say to lose the effects of the transform.

The third possible way is the stabilize effect of Galactic replaces the transform effect completely and I do not lose -1 life or gain +2 power.

I feel this style could use from some additional clarification text on the card. Here are the descriptions of the involved cards:

UA:
"Iri has 3 Form Cards and starts the duel in Magical Form.

As an ante, Iri can change her Form. If she does, she gains the Transform effect of her new Form. If she does not, she gains the Stabilize effect of the Form she is in. She can only transform once per ante step.

Note: When in Limit Exceed mode, Galactic triggers all 3 Forms’ Transform effects individually and Starlight triggers all 3 of its effects."

Galactic:

"Reveal: If you did not change Forms this beat, activate your Form’s Transform effect. If you did change Forms this Beat, activate your Form’s Stabilize effect."

Cosmic Form:

+2 Power and lose 1 life

Thanks in advance guys. This one has been plaguing us for a bit and will have significant impact on Iri if she keeps both the transform and the stabilize effects from Galactic.

-Kyle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bndeulogy2 wrote:
Hello all!

My gaming buddy and have run into this question on a number of match-ups using Iri and was wondering if you guys might put the debate to rest. The question is in regards to Iri's Galactic style and her Cosmic form (The other forms apply as well). Our question is this: If I ante into Cosmic Form but play play Galactic as my style, do I lose my 1 life?

There are three ways to think of this. First, I immediately lose the life and gain +2 power because I transformed into Cosmic on ante. On reveal I then move into the stabilize effect of Cosmic because of Galactic, giving me the stabilize effect and losing the +2 power and the life.

The second way is I lose the life and gain +2 power on ante. I then move into the stabilize effect on reveal while keeping the +2 power and -1 life because the card doesn't say to lose the effects of the transform.

The third possible way is the stabilize effect of Galactic replaces the transform effect completely and I do not lose -1 life or gain +2 power.

I feel this style could use from some additional clarification text on the card. Here are the descriptions of the involved cards:

UA:
"Iri has 3 Form Cards and starts the duel in Magical Form.

As an ante, Iri can change her Form. If she does, she gains the Transform effect of her new Form. If she does not, she gains the Stabilize effect of the Form she is in. She can only transform once per ante step.

Note: When in Limit Exceed mode, Galactic triggers all 3 Forms’ Transform effects individually and Starlight triggers all 3 of its effects."

Galactic:

"Reveal: If you did not change Forms this beat, activate your Form’s Transform effect. If you did change Forms this Beat, activate your Form’s Stabilize effect."

Cosmic Form:

+2 Power and lose 1 life

Thanks in advance guys. This one has been plaguing us for a bit and will have significant impact on Iri if she keeps both the transform and the stabilize effects from Galactic.

-Kyle

All your rulings are wrong.

Galactic makes it so that you end up having BOTH your Transform and Stabilize effect. In this way, you will get that Power, Lose that Life, and get that sweet Prio "Bonus."

Note that the card does not say "instead," which would cause it to be weird and try and "replace" the effects. However, this is not the case. It simply goes "if you have a Transform, gain your Stabilize, too. On the other hand, if you have a Stabilize, gain your Transform, too."

If Galatic were simply a way to "ante bluff" people, it would be pretty bad. Down right awful, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple word would fix this issue: "Also".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply Marco. Your answer is what I badly tried to explain in option two of my post. Im glad this is how it works because we have been playing the style wrong up until today. This makes her significantly stronger and Im excited to try her again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bndeulogy2 wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply Marco. Your answer is what I badly tried to explain in option two of my post. Im glad this is how it works because we have been playing the style wrong up until today. This makes her significantly stronger and Im excited to try her again.

Looking back on it, number 2 IS the way it works. Sorry about that!

I made this post in haste. ^_^

But yeah, Galactic would be really bad otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.