Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this game up at the local shop because:

a) It was under $10.

b) It had an adorable kitten on it.

c) It had a fun, groan-worthy name.

I've played two or three games of this so far, and I'll probably bring it out again with casual gamers. There's not a lot of meat to it, but it's easy to explain, plays quick and provides for some fun.

Every player is dealt a number of cards (5 for lower player counts, 3 for higher counts). Each card has a cute little puppy or kitten (or puppies or kittens). Each animal on the card is also wearing either a (green/pink/blue) hat, sunglasses or bowtie. So each card has a) a color, b) an animal, and c) a fashion accessory or a particular color. There are also wild cards.

On your turn, you place a bid based on either color or fashion accessory (it doesn't matter if you have puppies or kittens). The next player must either a) up the ante by bidding a higher number, or b) calling the previous player's bid by loudly proclaiming “You gotta be kitten me!”

When you up the ante, you are not locked into the previous bid type. So if the first player bids 3 green, the next player bid 4 pink or even 4 sunglasses. If the bid is called out, then all players reveal their entire hands AND the top card of the deck is revealed. If the color/accessory meets or exceeds the bid then the bidding player wins and the one who called him out will be dealt one less card next round. If the color/accessory is less than the bid, the bidding player will be dealt one less card next round.

Cards can count for one, two or three of a color or item. You can tell this by the number of animals/accessory on the card. Two puppies wearing green sunglasses counts as both two sunglasses and two green.

There is also a Skip card which allows a player to pass. An optional rule allows a player to call out “Purrrfect!” (keep the puns coming!) if they think the last bid was exactly right. In this case, they actually get dealt an extra card next round.

I played four-player games and everyone had fun upping bids to sometimes seemingly crazy amounts and either pulling them off or not.

The good points of this game are its simplicity, cuteness and fun in pushing your luck. You have some knowledge of what's out there (your hand), but not a lot. Sometimes it's worth it to call out a high bid of something you don't have to throw other people off and then counter with an even higher bid of something you do have (especially if you have triples!)

It's also a lot of fun to say "You gotta be kitten me!" Just try it for yourself! (Make sure you throw your hands up in the air as you do so.)

My major complaint with the game is that it is somewhat cumbersome to keep track of how many cards each player is supposed to. There's no little meeples or scoresheet or other tracking method. You simply have to remember that you've lost three rounds and should now be getting only two cards. I know every added component has a cost, but it seems like there could have been a better way (any way) to keep track of this.

Also, there is player elimination. The game continues until only one player has cards left. This wasn't an issue with four players, as I still thought it was entertaining and short enough to watch others play. However, I can see this being an issue with some groups.

Overall, not a bad little game. I'd say this is worth a purchase if you enjoy light bidding/push your luck games and find the 'theme' cute.

On the Geek scale, I rate it a 6. There's definitely some fun to be had with this one, but I'm not going to be clamoring to play it frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After multiple plays, I would suggest this:

Play with three cards per player, not five. At five, this game can last way too long for what it is. At three, it remains just as fun while dialing the playtime back to a reasonable level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.