Hide
4 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » General

Subject: Multiplayer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tan Song
msg tools
Anyone tried the multiplayer modes? Thinking of introducing codex to 3 friends... So am deciding whether free for all or 2 v 2 will be better.

Also, for those who have tried, how did you resolve the problems with insufficient chits? The tech and gold chits are clearly insufficient for more than 2 people. Idk, but sirlin could really have included one more board of chits and this problem would have been solved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We introduced the game to some new players at our game club via 2v2 game. We had one seasoned and one new player per side, and it was the first time I had tried anything more than 1v1.

Frankly, I was really impressed: the 2v2 game feels like a larger 1v1 game, but with a partner that you can collaborate with during each turn. It actually worked really, really well! The fact that each side had one seasoned player made it easy for each new player to pick up the game without feeling overwhelmed for what to do, and both had the basic gameplay down by the end. Total thumbs up for this as a way to teach the game if you have at least two experienced players.

As far as insufficient chits, we just made due with some of our own dice and components. There just aren't enough for four players to play comfortably.

Edit:typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cooksey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2v2 is definitely how I'd go. I've played a few free-for-all games and they play pretty slow and it's hard to figure out the balance of when to attack and who. The game has enough of a learning curve already...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
We played multiplayer free for all a few times, my impression is that it would flow really well with experienced players. We have trouble correctly assessing things... ultimately who is currently winning by how much. At the end, who wins feels a bit random.

When we played 2 vs 2 it felt "simpler" because there are just two teams in play (not four!)
The risk is that the more experienced partner would simply tell the new player how to play. (2 vs 2 has been rejected as a teaching tool a couple times based on this reasoning.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.