Subject: Variant in Progress: Omens of Arkham rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Chris Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I started playing this game all those weeks ago I began with Omens of Ice. I found it challenging, but fair and it wasn't too terribly difficult to win barring unforeseen circumstances.

Gates of Arkham is tough. Really tough. In addition to that, the random shuffling of the adventure deck seems a bit silly since you could start the game with lots of red adventures that are difficult to resolve successfully. This variant aims to change that by using a similar method of adventure distribution as Omens of Ice.

Before dealing out the adventures, separate them into their corresponding color piles. Then take half of the yellow adventures and shuffle them in with the green ones. Take the other half and shuffle them into the red adventure deck.

At the game's start, you'll be using Deck 1 (green and yellow) and when you reach day 5 you switch to the red and yellow deck.

This made for a nice, even pace of adventures similar to Omens of Ice. However, I beat the game right at midnight of Day 4, so I never got to see the red/yellow deck. I was going up against a 10 Elder Sign AO, so presumably this wouldn't be an issue with higher Elder Sign requirements.

I also had 2 investigators die along the way and the last adventure was Otherworldly in which I used 4 or so clues to re-roll, ensuring me 2 Elder Signs for the victory.

Overall I much preferred this variant to straight Gates of Arkham which I feel is pretty brutal in nature, and much harder than Omens of Ice. But I've read most people say the opposite; that Omens is tougher for them.

I may tweak the timing to Day 4 instead of 5 and that might give me the difficulty I'm looking for. Feel free to test this out and see what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're winning at the end of day 4, that's definitely too late. I'd say switch on day 4 or even day 3. Even when you switch the decks, you've still got the adventures that are already in play, and there are still going to be yellow ones coming up in the second deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
If you're winning at the end of day 4, that's definitely too late. I'd say switch on day 4 or even day 3. Even when you switch the decks, you've still got the adventures that are already in play, and there are still going to be yellow ones coming up in the second deck.

Yeah, Elder Signs seem to be much more plentiful in GoA, but also there are just tons of gates being put out naturally by the doom track or mythos cards, and Otherworld Adventures always have Elder Signs. It's a little too much really which is one reason I prefer Omens of Ice. I really think they nailed every aspect, including story with that version.

I think I may scale the day track according to # of Elder Signs required. Something along the lines of

10 Elder Signs Req- Day 3 switch
13 Elder Signs Req- Day 4 switch
15 Elder Signs Req- Day 5 switch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.